Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

37 minutes ago, beanskip said:

This "stall in the gulf" thing seems like a thing. I remember the models picking up on that pretty early with Matthew. Bears watching. 

Hurricane Isidore in 2002 had similar scenarios. We didn't know whether the trough was gonna pick up Isidore and pull it to the Florida panhandle, or if Isidore would miss the trough and end up milling around in the Gulf of Mexico for days becoming a monster until another trough picked it up and pulled it into Louisiana.

Eventually, the second scenario occurred, but the high pressure that built in during the time Isidore had weak steering currents wound up bumping the hurricane into the Yucatan Peninsula, weakening it from a 934 mb monster to a large pin-wheel tropical storm. The storm never rebuilt it's inner core and by the time it made landfall in Southeast Louisiana, it was just shy of becoming a hurricane.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

CMC and Icon nearly identical with the eye sitting over my house in 136 hours and TS winds arriving in 120 hours. This could come as a fast surprise to people here in southeast Florida. 

If any two models said I'd be paying the full deductible on my homeowners' insurance in 5 days, I want the German and Canadian models.  Sort of pointless except for considering wide areas before a center forms and becomes dominant.

7 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

6Z GFS was at the extreme W end of the 6Z GEFS, or a shift East, especially if some added HH data ingested, would make sense.  I hope Dr. Cowan makes another video today.

I would think we would need to see some model consistency over the next few runs to see the if this is a trend.

• Like 2

Looking at the morning model suites, I am starting to believe more in an eastern solution where the cyclone recurves across the FL peninsula.  The GFS is spuriously developing vortices that keep this unorganized until the NW Caribbean.  Morning visible images and ASCAT confirm a tight closed circulation, and I see no reason this doesn't stay consolidated.  This spurious vorticity causes it to get much further west than it would if it were an organized cyclone.  I also think the GFS is underselling the interaction between the first trough and the cyclone.  A trough that strong isn't going to just tug this north and leave it, especially if the storm is already a hurricane upon interaction with the trough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Normandy said:

Looking at the morning model suites, I am starting to believe more in an eastern solution where the cyclone recurves across the FL peninsula.  The GFS is spuriously developing vortices that keep this unorganized until the NW Caribbean.  Morning visible images and ASCAT confirm a tight closed circulation, and I see no reason this doesn't stay consolidated.  This spurious vorticity causes it to get much further west than it would if it were an organized cyclone.  I also think the GFS is underselling the interaction between the first trough and the cyclone.  A trough that strong isn't going to just tug this north and leave it, especially if the storm is already a hurricane upon interaction with the trough. 

Ironically, Levi mentions a stronger solution early is more likely to tug west as it feels impacts of northeasterly sheer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Man, this run is so far northeast it tracks over the fatter part of Cuba, east of the thin part where Charley tracked.  That would lead to some weakening, plus it won't have much time to recover/restrengthen before hitting far south Florida.

Even with the land interaction and limited time over the Florida straights, the Euro still shows robust last-minute strengthening.  We're not talking cat 4 or anything, but pretty solid.

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

If any two models said I'd be paying the full deductible on my homeowners' insurance in 5 days, I want the German and Canadian models.  Sort of pointless except for considering wide areas before a center forms and becomes dominant.

How about now that king euro shows the same thing...?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

New run on the left 

ikwsfb.PNG

That is quite the SE shift of the mean track to across far SE FL, where the mode also is now. Note that the mean member speed is quicker thus allowing for more members to be taken NE early with the trough. The mode on the 0Z was further NW near a Ft. Myers to Melbourne track.

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian