• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

It is frustrating when I drive a mile down to the beach in winter and still see the grass on many of the beach front houses. It doesn't sit right with me after a footer.

My ex GF lived on the beach. After Jan 05 there was grass, and 12' drifts against the house lol. Nothing in between. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They weren't as dry. Also it was like a foot of rain in a few hours over hilly terrain. Just look at what Irene did in VT and NH into western MA.

I mean it doesn’t matter the event but you put a quick 3-6” in like 12 hours into hilly terrain and it’s out of control fast.  Doesn’t matter dry or not.

The force multiplier of the terrain is the big kicker… all water gets funneled into the same drainages. Even 2” in an hour in the mtns can flush big.  I’ve seen trees floating by out back in what is normally shin to knee deep from 3” of rain.

Much different topography down there that can handle those water amounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

He lives in Taunton. Why would he use another site shooting over his house at 12k feet when he can just use tilt 3 or 4 on BOX?

Yeah OKX does shoot that high but it is at least showing it more clearly. Not that tilt 3/4 don't work either...but OKX still seems to be a bit more representative of what's actually going on. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Dallas and St Louis aren't really hilly bro. But yeah I think it's more the rates, true.

I was referring to the KY incident. 

Dallas had like a foot of rain in a matter of hours ridiculous rates. Nothing beats the ISP rain event (I think Sept or Oct 2013??). 13" in like 9 hrs?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

2.28" since Sun night. 0.43" on the day. Looks to mostly over for here. Maybe another 0.1-0.25".

0.55" thru 7 this morning.  Despite no echoes this far north, still have RA/DZ keeping everything wet while adding maybe 0.01" per hour or 2.  Nice slow garden rain, except the mid 50s probably shut down growth on tomatoes and cukes.  I wanted to finish cutting and dragging out some firewood, related to another project, but I've no appetite for wet, slippery woods work.  40 years ago, it would've been different. ;)    Tomorrow for the woods.

Aroostook is too far north and Washington too far east, but among the other 14 counties, southern Franklin with 0.47"-0.55" has the least, on average, with more (often much more) in all the surrounding counties.  Not quite a hole in the donut, but similar.

• Like 1