Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

19 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Do you run the line outside so it waters automatically or do you just empty the bucket every day manually?

I empty mine manually every day to water the row of Arborvitae’s but it’s a PITA. 

Luke, How old are the arbors? I watered them in the first year, After that, I let mother nature take care of it.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Luke, How old are the arbors? I watered them in the first year, After that, I let mother nature take care of it.

Just planted this summer actually. They were initially my neighbors but he ripped them out so even though planting in the summer drought is suboptimal, they were free. Two of them probably won’t make it. But you’re right, after a year I shouldn’t need to water them as much as I do now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just planted this summer actually. They were initially my neighbors but he ripped them out so even though planting in the summer drought is suboptimal, they were free. Two of them probably won’t make it. But you’re right, after a year I shouldn’t need to water them as much as I do now. 

I have 59 of them, When i planted them they were 3-4' tall, I was told if you lose 10% you were doing good, I lost 4 of them total and replaced them, But i fertilized them for 3 years twice a year, This pic was taken a few years back.

IMG_1108.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I have 59 of them, When i planted them they were 3-4' tall, I was told if you lose 10% you were doing good, I lost 4 of them total and replaced them, But i fertilized them for 3 years twice a year, This pic was taken a few years back.

IMG_1108.jpg

In my neighborhood, the bottom third of those would be bare from deer eating them.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

In my neighborhood, the bottom third of those would be bare from deer eating them.

I've seen plenty that look like crap after the deer get to them, With arbors, Once you lose branches or sections, They don't grow back, That's one of there favorite foods, Thankfully i don't have a deer problem, Or i would take care of it if i did ha ha

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dryslot said:

IMG_1108.jpg

Looks great Jeff. That’s the look I’m going for to give the backyard some separation from the driveway. How far apart did you plant them?

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks great Jeff. That’s the look I’m going for to give the backyard some separation from the driveway. How far apart did you plant them?

I had spaced them 39" apart Luke, I wanted them to mesh as a privacy screen, Planting them that close only allows them to get to 18-24' tall, I say only, But i have the (Emerald Green variety) It allowed me to block the view on the other side sooner, I have seen some that were spaced 4-6' apart (Thuja Green Giants) that would grow to 40' but that would take longer to fill in obviously.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I've read, from experienced landscapers, that transplanting usually leaves about 90% of a tree's roots behind, hence the importance of daily watering in T-plus a year.  One nursery owner would give purchasers of trees two small bottles, one of green liquid and one of red.  He guaranteed all trees, replacement or money back, if the buyer would put 3 drops of green and 3 of red daily, as watering was done.  Water plus food coloring - it was just a reminder to water.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I've read, from experienced landscapers, that transplanting usually leaves about 90% of a tree's roots behind, hence the importance of daily watering in T-plus a year.  One nursery owner would give purchasers of trees two small bottles, one of green liquid and one of red.  He guaranteed all trees, replacement or money back, if the buyer would put 3 drops of green and 3 of red daily, as watering was done.  Water plus food coloring - it was just a reminder to water.  :rolleyes:

I dug a Rhody and gave it to my brother, we planted it at his house and no matter how much watering we did it looked like it died, the next year it came back to life, I was surprised I thought it was dead for good.

• Like 1

There could be daily crispies for cloud enthusiasts ... late Sunday through late Tuesday.  Three days of cyclic convection.   Not bad for mid September.  

Also, week 2 seems slated for some warm anomalies.   Tough to hang one's hat on an outlook for warm temperatures after the 15th of the month.. but, the signals been fairly persistent in the ens means.  Oper. Euro extrapolates, as does the GFS -  no comment on exact magnitude. 

• Like 1