Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

22 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I still need to really read into the under the hood stuff, but theoretically it is machine learning so it should know about all types of set ups. 

I'm very skeptical when it comes to machine learning and weather. It seems to be gaining lots of steam, especially within the private sector, but my fear is it is going to be misused. I know machine learning has had some incredible results within the nowcast period (within 6-12 hours) but when looking farther ahead in time isn't still using model data? So wouldn't it really be as accurate as the data going into it?

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The fact that you had to qualify it like that tells you that its not, in fact, "summer" stuff....its a warm, pleasant pattern in early fall.

It’s all relative . Just like people change their definitions of Coc k based on the time of year. It goes from 70/40 in spring to 86/62 in summer. Face it . It’s a very warm and well above normal pattern straight thru months end 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm very skeptical when it comes to machine learning and weather. It seems to be gaining lots of steam, especially within the private sector, but my fear is it is going to be misused. I know machine learning has had some incredible results within the nowcast period (within 6-12 hours) but when looking farther ahead in time isn't still using model data? So wouldn't it really be as accurate as the data going into it?

Yes and no. A human trains the machine learning system for specific forecasts (e.g. severe or flooding). And while the machine learning system uses model input to go through the tree, it also randomizes which variables are being used to get a diverse dataset. And you can continue to train the system over time, so while the model itself may not be explicitly forecasting severe, the system may know that sometimes severe still results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes and no. A human trains the machine learning system for specific forecasts (e.g. severe or flooding). And while the machine learning system uses model input to go through the tree, it also randomizes which variables are being used to get a diverse dataset. And you can continue to train the system over time, so while the model itself may not be explicitly forecasting severe, the system may know that sometimes severe still results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Gotcha, thanks! I do find machine learning quite interesting and probably should look more into it. I'm sure doing so would probably reduce my skepticism a bit. 

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s all relative . Just like people change their definitions of Coc k based on the time of year. It goes from 70/40 in spring to 86/62 in summer. Face it . It’s a very warm and well above normal pattern straight thru months end 

I just said its a warm pattern...it was already faced. I already admitted that 62DP was not coc K.

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Gotcha, thanks! I do find machine learning quite interesting and probably should look more into it. I'm sure doing so would probably reduce my skepticism a bit. 

It's all fun and games until the machines rise up and start rounding up weenies for detention centers.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's all fun and games until the machines rise up and start rounding up weenies for detention centers.

In three years, Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of meteorological forecasting computer systems. All NOAA computers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully automated. Afterwards, they forecast with a perfect operational record. The MAPP Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online October 4th, 2022. Human decisions are removed from strategic forecasting. NOAAnet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, October 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

NOAAnet fights backs. It launches missle at strategic targets at he ECMWF. NOAAnet knows the ECMWF counter attack will eliminate the GFS model over here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Honestly.... I'm not even sold on short term ML nowcasting results... at least not yet.  We have had better results with stochastic methods.  This is what we're using now...

https://www.proquest.com/openview/f235bbb8769fcddf0d632704ffe9188b/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=33207

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In three years, Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of meteorological forecasting computer systems. All NOAA computers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully automated. Afterwards, they forecast with a perfect operational record. The MAPP Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online October 4th, 2022. Human decisions are removed from strategic forecasting. NOAAnet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, October 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

NOAAnet fights backs. It launches missle at strategic targets at he ECMWF. NOAAnet knows the ECMWF counter attack will eliminate the GFS model over here. 

Mmm... damn, you just missed the opportunity there -

Instead of NOAAnet launching missiles at ECMWF... etc, it should have "made the technological leap into quantum state controls" - controlling the weather is immediately weaponized ...

That'd be cool!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, radarman said:

Honestly.... I'm not even sold on short term ML nowcasting results... at least not yet.  We have had better results with stochastic methods.  This is what we're using now...

https://www.proquest.com/openview/f235bbb8769fcddf0d632704ffe9188b/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=33207

Very interesting paper. There still leaves alot to be desired with machine-learning. I bet even in the future, no matter how advanced it becomes, you'll still have forecasters who can beat machine-learning. But I think ultimately, machine-learning should just be used as another tool (and perhaps a pretty powerful tool). I think the biggest challenge overall is machine-learning techniques will always be playing catch up...there are an infinite number of possibilities and potentials.

13 hours ago, mreaves said:

When we had to replace the water heater a few years ago, we went with a hybrid. It uses a heat pump along with a standard element to heat the water. The bonus is that the heat pump also acts as a dehumidifier. 

We replaced a 15 year old hot water heater with one of these. Electrical usage went from almost 5k kwh to 1100 kwh. It rings out roughly 5 gallons of water a week during the summer. Great dehumidifier. Only issue we have had, when it is really cold in the basement, it has a tough time making hot water.