Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/southbury-urging-residents-in-pomperaug-basin-area-to-conserve-water/2824921/?amp=1

Southbury making drought news....it is amazing to see full size forsythia bushes wilted by 10 am...haven't mowed since June 19th

Same. Been about a month. It’s long but if I mow, it will look like El Paso.

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Basically just focusing on watering the plants and garden right now.

Not sure why the last 10 years or so I’ve been feast or famine versus other summers that maybe have been dry but we get occasional rain.

It does feel like 4 out of the last 5 years have been drought indexed in the warm season in SNE.  Then gets mixed out with like 40” of rain DIT saw last summer :lol:.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Basically just focusing on watering the plants and garden right now.

Not sure why the last 10 years or so I’ve been feast or famine versus other summers that maybe have been dry but we get occasional rain.

Yeah our 500' well only does roughly 200-250 gallons every 24 hrs...so keeping the garden and pool happy has been a little tough, ran the well dry 1.5 weeks ago trying to topp off the pool and water the garden on the same day...

The only thing green right now are the trees, wetlands, and the weeds...

20220713_194627.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Yeah our 500' well only does roughly 200-250 gallons every 24 hrs...so keeping the garden and pool happy has been a little tough, ran the well dry 1.5 weeks ago trying to topp off the pool and water the garden on the same day...

20220713_194627.jpg

Interesting shot there as it looks like the taller grasses look green and fine while the cut/mowed grass is immediately burnt and brown right next to it.  Looks like that might be the drainage down there but it’s interesting how it’s literally that mowed is brown and not mowed is green… especially out past the pool in that field.

Its almost looks like nature was designed to be more drought resistant than our lawns.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

20220713_194627.jpg

No wonder you radiate so well. You live on an interior beach . All Sandy soils 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/southbury-urging-residents-in-pomperaug-basin-area-to-conserve-water/2824921/?amp=1

Southbury making drought news....it is amazing to see full size forsythia bushes wilted by 10 am...haven't mowed since June 19th

Yea man. We’re hanging on by a straw, just doing our best to get by and survive. 

58 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

20220713_194627.jpg

That doesn’t seem like a lot for a well that deep. And it looks like some wetlands nearby? That’s odd.

I have no idea what my well produces. Nobody in the neighborhood has ever run their well dry though. Some people running irrigation 8 hours a day too.

I guess that might be a benefit to living on the Hockomock swamp 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting shot there as it looks like the taller grasses look green and fine while the cut/mowed grass is immediately burnt and brown right next to it.  Looks like that might be the drainage down there but it’s interesting how it’s literally that mowed is brown and not mowed is green… especially out past the pool in that field.

Its almost looks like nature was designed to be more drought resistant than our lawns.

Makes sense right? The only green I have is from the septic field and the larger patches of clover. Otherwise it is as brown as I have ever seen grass since I moved up from Delaware.

I have been soaking my cukes almost everyday, those things are producing better than ever, go figure....

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea man. We’re hanging on by a straw, just doing our best to get by and survive. 

Haha, yeah...crazy to see the Pomperaug so low. Walking at the Audubon, the water level is eye opening. I will assume by September, I will be pumping water out of the pool and cursing the tomato blight. Watching all the rain to the north and west again, just can't buy a good soaker

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That doesn’t seem like a lot for a well that deep. And it looks like some wetlands nearby? That’s odd.

I have no idea what my well produces. Nobody in the neighborhood has ever run their well dry though. Some people running irrigation 8 hours a day too.

I guess that might be a benefit to living on the Hockomock swamp 

We have great water quality from our well and was told unless something drastic happens, we should only ever temporarily run out of water. Our elevation is only around 175 ft, so while we may suck it dry short term, hopefully it will always fill back up.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No wonder you radiate so well. You live on an interior beach . All Sandy soils 

Sand as deep as you can dig, very desert like for sure. Perfect microclimate for radiating. ...