• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

Sort of related... heh ... weird, but I had a knock on the door, yesterday, and it was this guy from Omaha Steaks or whatever that company's name is... replete with b-ball cap and logo'ed polo shirt. Idling behind him was a refrigerator outfitted pick-up truck - it had the crest on the door.  He explained that he was in the area doing deliveries, and had extra product ..." would I like to take a look," he would offer them to me at discount prices.  

I dunno..but something instinctual ( perhaps ) kicked in and it just didn't seem appropriate to have a freezer outfitted pick up, just show up out of nowhere offering meat for some reason.  Probably didn't help that as the gentleman spoke, the one front tooth being the color of tobacco triggered all kinds of stereotypologies in me...   Hey, call me a douche -

I thought fast, and crinkled a slight one cheek grin and said, " I just wanted to let you finish, but sorry bro - vegetarian."   Which I'm not...but, it was a remarkably quick and effective means to exit what was a subtly awkward if not shady encounter...

I mean, does "Omaha" do cold call stops like that?   anyone ever heard of such a thing?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

300+hr fantasy snow >> 300+hr fantasy cane >>>>>>>> 300+hr fantasy heat

yeeeah, we know -

Folks just having fun with the dystopian cinema of the thing.    We'll return the agoggery when there's a D11, 948 MB low stalled on ISP, LI for 3 days leveling a circumvallate 60" glacier around the NW arc from PHL to PWM.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Convection enthusiasts are actually getting a butt-banged this summer so far like a wash-room scene in Shawshank.  Typically... from orbit if one saw a persistent +PNAP continental flow structure, they'd be inclined to thinking the associated nadir in the east would have periodic if not cyclic synoptically driven opportunities for wet.  But this has been an usual scenario where the calving of the flow and bottoming out over the east has been amid a dearth of moisture. 

Not outright and in total..no.  But just in the means, we are not getting thundery rains, which can and does feed back to just having instability in the area when not in synoptic forcing, because that would circumstantially leave the region in elevated llv/soil and evapotran sources to work and bubble up under the static mid level cool soundings.   You know, they weren't good summer for heat, but those 2007 and 2008 summers were absolutely spectacular CB rollers along the tropopause thunder bomb years.  I remember 2008, we seem to percolate a severe thunderstorm watch daily at 3pm ...it became Floridian clock punching severe in the area.    F' heat man... that's awesome.  

But this year, we're not getting that kind of sounding.  We seem to have more of an open "wok" structured trough with continental dry air sourcing, in the means.  Again, emphasizing that because no, it's not like that all time.  But like today is an example of the preferred scenario - dry cold front in temps still making 80 F.  It's an under-the-radar oddity about this season's behavior ... peculiar.

It really has been a “Three Sisters summer”

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sort of related... heh ... weird, but I had a knock on the door, yesterday, and it was this guy from Omaha Steaks or whatever that company's name is... replete with b-ball cap and logo'ed polo shirt. Idling behind him was a refrigerator outfitted pick-up truck - it had the crest on the door.  He explained that he was in the area doing deliveries, and had extra product ..." would I like to take a look," he would offer them to me at discount prices.  

I dunno..but something instinctual ( perhaps ) kicked in and it just didn't seem appropriate to have a freezer outfitted pick up, just show up out of nowhere offering meat for some reason.  Probably didn't help that as the gentleman spoke, the one front tooth being the color of tobacco triggered all kinds of stereotypologies in me...   Hey, call me a douche -

I thought fast, and crinkled a slight one cheek grin and said, " I just wanted to let you finish, but sorry bro - vegetarian."   Which I'm not...but, it was a remarkably quick and effective means to exit what was subtly awkward if not shady encounter...

I mean, does "Omaha" do cold call stops like that?   anyone ever heard of such a thing?  

That's not Omaha, I've had those guys come by my house with the same bull line, I like your vegetarian line, I'll have to use it next time one of those clowns drops by.

Omaha's a reputable company with a great product, they don't operate like that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Old info but I doubt they have changed   They do not sell door to door or from trucks

https://www.omahasteaks.com/blog/omaha-steaks-and-door-to-door-sales/

Jesus Christ.   

...hmm, 'instincts' for the win, I guess. 

I mean, the brazenness of that kind of thing - like it's one thing to pose immorally, from an ethic of criminal abandon on the Internet, but to be out in the open... an actual perp' at your door.  Hey ...I guess give 'em props for having the onions to pot roast up a scheme in actual person.

wtf chuck.  haha.  

Ayer is an interesting town in state of gentrification flux, of sorts.  We've talked about this at length and bloviating posts in recent years .. but the affluence ring of higher salaried ..more upwardly mobile economics has been propagating outward through the metro-west of Boston, out into the 495 belt through the 1990s, and has in recent decades now come out this far to Ayer - which is about 10 mile further up Rt 2.. 

As that income settles this town, there's is still a kind of a hang-over of lower income BS that still goes on... Not trying to be stereotyping but c'mon -get real.  There are still 29-year olds riding BMX bikes to the package stores, cutting in between BMW SUVs in stop and go traffic ..etc.   Sort of a mash up between "Ware" ever Mass  with forest cleared, new neighborhoods going in erecting these standard form 500 thousand dollar homes.   Part of me feels it is both par for the course that these assholes wouldn't get the gentrification wave and a sense of impropriety, as much as one is inclined to think that shouldn't happen here - but this latter sentiment is obviously a conceit if not arrogance, too.  I get that.  But there is still a kind of expectation when tony arrives. Like sophistication creates its own prevention.  Perhaps not enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

That's not Omaha, I've had those guys come by my house with the same bull line, I like your vegetarian line, I'll have to use it next time one of those clowns drops by.

Omaha's a reputable company with a great product, they don't operate like that.

Was the fellow bald and sweating?

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

We have some strange solicitors here too. There’s a group of young people (20s) going around on hover boards trying to sell pest control lol. It’s sort of shady as they aren’t very well marked in terms of who they are. 

Did the fellow look kooky like he’d be splitting logs in the woods ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have some strange solicitors here too. There’s a group of young people (20s) going around on hover boards trying to sell pest control lol. It’s sort of shady as they aren’t very well marked in terms of who they are. 

Did he have an overly clean truck?

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

WE NEED A FASTER FRONT TUESDAY. ughhhh please speed up. This is looking a bit tasty...at least compared to this summer's standards. 

From this range, you're actually better off if the front looks later rather than the 18z problem. 

I haven't looked at anything, but that's my experience over the decades.   If the front is along a Watertown NY to State College, PA at 18z, you're doing perfect for 6 pm weakly bounded mesos throwing pulsed CGs and wind reports ... Dying as they move E of the Berks and/or diving S with the right turning curse of SNE, of course.. but at least there's a chance.  

Lol, no but seriously ... when fronts are approaching, we tend to produce a coastal planar barometric dip.  That trough backs the wind W, which is then converging with SW wind along and just ahead. That does two aspects:  one, it causes d-slope DP drying where the wind backed and that produces a quasi -dry line to evolve.  The other aspect is that the convergence along the trough is a trigger axis.  If there is substantive heating prior to 18z, and the front is still way back west over central NY and PA, that's usually close enough that increasing velocities aloft adds some shearing kinematics ...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They have been here also. Kd told me they were based out of Worcester. He had on logo shirt and uniform but I can’t member the name of the company.
Our dog was barking up a storm in the window and I told him I better go inside before the dog jumps right through the screen.   ;)

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is the type of heat that warps plastic trash cans and recycling bins.

Worse than that..  street asphalt failure and railroad track warping become problems a temperatures and high sun well below 115 ..

That's not likely to happen out there ( btw ), with the GFS' dystopian cinema ... we'll see - but in 1998, the above aspect took place from heat in the 103 to 105 range in Texas.  Dallas pinged 107 in that..   They called them 'sun kinks' ( tracks), but it's really just heat causes older track lays to expand beyond the contact points and being just pliable enough in the high heat to then necessarily expand they bend.  It caused derailments.  Modern lays ..I'm pretty sure are precalculated for expansion so that doesn't happen.   With street asphalt it can cause the material to fracture.

• Like 1