Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I scored a JG model 6000btu for 125 bucks yesterday for the grooming room. Never used by an elderly lady who switched to central air. Off the shelf they are $370

Nice. In the past, I used a 6000 and a 5000 btu units in bedrooms opposite of each other. I turn the ceiling fans on and leave the doors open. It keeps the house 78°-80° if I keep the windows and shades closed. 

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I thought it was May 18, 2002.  Had like 2.5” in Albany at Hudson River elevation.  Went up to Thatcher Park in west Albany County and it was plowable 6” above 1,000ft.

That is one of the few memorable events my mind remembers like Will :lol:.

Yeah that’s prolly right. 

still interesting. 

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah that’s prolly right. 

still interesting. 

For sure.  It’s mind blowing this time of year could snow or be 90F… not likely to snow, but the range of historical obs is probably close to the most impressive of any time of year.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It just occurred to me… 20 years ago on this date in 2002 Worcester had an inch and a half of snow and we had cat paws in Waltham at 38° in a wind swept nor’easter…

Pretty sure that was 2002 and May 22… Or something like that

I remember that May was only second to May 2005 in terms of absolute misery in western ME. But later that summer was one for the ages. IZG notched an impressive 10 or 11 day streak of 90+ highs in August that year.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:47 AM, tamarack said:

When CAR tied its record high of 96 on May 22, 1977, it was reported as the highest temp in the US that day.  I don't know if that was actually the case, but if it was even close, "not often" would be a gross understatement.

Today turned out to be another such day, albeit a tie. IZG 93, out here in Phoenix area also 93.

2 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

We had a cell move through Fryeburg and bridgton about 2 hours ago. Light rain and thunder.

It doesn't look like they ever included Cumberland in the watch area. Not sure if it was marine influence or other reasons, but the SVR stuff stayed well inland today.

12 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

That's less than 15 miles to our southwest, the storm that barely grazed here (0.01") though we had 45 minutes of near-continuous rumbling.  Another 0.05" around 10 PM bringing the May total to 0.98".  The big heat didn't make it to here, high was 81 yesterday - 15° AN but nothing like the previous weekend.  Nice crisp air today, dews 40s.

• Like 2

I love the 500mb look the GFS has moving into the first week of June. Not saying it will happen this way but as is that's a great look for thunderstorm chances. We're on the crest of strong mid-level ridging across the South so pretty strong westerly/west-northwesterly mid-level flow. Would keep opportunities for cooler mid-level temps with potential EML plumes and we can get advection of hot/humid air at the sfc. The look will probably change but if you're ever looking for a look which can offer up solid convective shots...that's one look

• Like 2