• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

I was in Portland Saturday night and friends had a mailer on their table, houses listed for $600-$700K were selling over ask by $100K. Nuts. Rumor in my neighborhood is a multi-million dollar listing sold for 25% over ask. Insane. Friends in adjacent town have a tear down across the street, on less than 1/4 acre built out to maximum extent, no backyard, supposedly going on market for $3.5mm. I lack an adjective. Right now, life science stock options seem to be leading the charge but I always wonder about the % down payment on these homes - are the banks allowing a higher % of income to be directed to mortgage - or is it just folks with lots of home equity moving up? I pay no attention to this stuff given I'm want to downsize in 2024 and will probably leave the area.

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Housing market still out of control here.  Neighbor put his house on the market, 25 showings booked in the first few hours. First showing/offer came in 65 grand over asking

It's insane still. May slowly die down, but not sure if by much. I've seen the wording go something like..."well home buyers won't be able to afford the 500 bucks a month more it will cost them for a mortgage." As if that is worse than being outbid by 200 grand in cash. :lol:   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I agree with Will. Hard to tell 100% with the pixelation.

There aren't many birds that color around here that are also small, so I'd be surprised if it was something else. But yeah, Ginxy cell phone pixels FTL....too much white to be a black and white warbler. I guess it could be a lightly-colored mockingbird, but body type doesn't quite match.

3 hours ago, Angus said:

I was in Portland Saturday night and friends had a mailer on their table, houses listed for $600-$700K were selling over ask by $100K. Nuts. Rumor in my neighborhood is a multi-million dollar listing sold for 25% over ask. Insane. Friends in adjacent town have a tear down across the street, on less than 1/4 acre built out to maximum extent, no backyard, supposedly going on market for $3.5mm. I lack an adjective. Right now, life science stock options seem to be leading the charge but I always wonder about the % down payment on these homes - are the banks allowing a higher % of income to be directed to mortgage - or is it just folks with lots of home equity moving up? I pay no attention to this stuff given I'm want to downsize in 2024 and will probably leave the area.

A lot of people are selling their houses for crazy prices so have a decent amount of cash to overpay on another house. Just had a conversation this afternoon with a realtor about this very thing, he's never seen people with so much cash to put down and it's all because they got over payed for their current house.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like a snow bunting that hasn't migrated back north yet.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I agree with Will. Hard to tell 100% with the pixelation.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There aren't many birds that color around here that are also small, so I'd be surprised if it was something else. But yeah, Ginxy cell phone pixels FTL....too much white to be a black and white warbler. I guess it could be a lightly-colored mockingbird, but body type doesn't quite match.

4 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Pretty sure that was one of Van Gogh's final masterpieces before his death, titled "A bird, probably."

About 3 inches tall. Probably 50 feet away is as close as I can get. The nest has 3 tiny white glossy eggs  it is about 10 feet from my front door.  Thanks for the help....good friends . I will take a 1 to 1 50mg pic when I can. I see snow bunting eggs are speckled. Maybe a rare white sparrow?

23 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Housing market still out of control here.  Neighbor put his house on the market, 25 showings booked in the first few hours. First showing/offer came in 65 grand over asking

Seriously it is insanity. Listed our house last Wednesday, open house Sunday with over 80 people and 15 private showings Sunday-Monday. Had multiple offers well above asking (which was 40% above what we paid for it 3 years ago) with no contingencies/inspections by Tuesday. Moving up to Gray, ME for June 1st.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Angus said:

Right now, life science stock options seem to be leading the charge but I always wonder about the % down payment on these homes - are the banks allowing a higher % of income to be directed to mortgage - or is it just folks with lots of home equity moving up? I pay no attention to this stuff given I'm want to downsize in 2024 and will probably leave the area.

For all the offers on our house last week it was lower down payments (5% whereas we put down 10%) and the buyer having to put in 10-20k towards making up the difference in appraisal and sale price.   

46 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

For all the offers on our house last week it was lower down payments (5% whereas we put down 10%) and the buyer having to put in 10-20k towards making up the difference in appraisal and sale price.   

I just had one where the buyer was willing to put 25k between sale price and appraisal and it's not even close to enough for how much they overbid.

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I overbid too and agreed to cover a $30k appraisal gap OOP. Who needs furniture or some cushion reserves?

That’s the thing. I’m a FTHB with a decent monthly income that can comfortably afford the monthly payment when overbidding by 10-15%+. However, I can’t just reach into my back pocket and guarantee more money to put down in the event the place doesn’t appraise. Pinched on both sides. 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can you explain the appraisal gap? Meaning, the house was appraised at 30k less than you offered?

Yes. 

Here’s an example. The house is listed for $400K. I offer $500K, and will cover up to $30K in the event of an appraisal gap between offer price and appraised value. 

I put 5 percent down, or $25K. The house appraises for $470K. I now pay 5 percent of $470K and cover the $30K appraisal gap. 

So I really put down $23,500 plus $30,000, or $53,500. The rest is financed. 

Any appraisal less than $470K, and the selling price will need to be reduced accordingly. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, Spanks45 said:

It’s an all time position for anyone close to or at retirement looking to cash out and downsize (move). 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, DavisStraight said:

A lot of people are selling their houses for crazy prices so have a decent amount of cash to overpay on another house. Just had a conversation this afternoon with a realtor about this very thing, he's never seen people with so much cash to put down and it's all because they got over payed for their current house.

Doesn’t matter; same down here in S FL. Problem where I am is all people moving south and those moving out of Miami/Dade, Broward counties moving north putting squeeze; I could sell but where am I going?

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Doesn’t matter; same down here in S FL. Problem where I am is all people moving south and those moving out of Miami/Dade, Broward counties moving north putting squeeze; I could sell but where am I going?

Yup, that’s the catch-22.  Car market is similar, just not quite as dire.  

• Like 1