Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I gave them a good amount of space. It’s weird because we got the inspiration from a house we lived near growing up. They planted them probably no more than 5 feet apart and they are probably 20 feet tall if not bigger now and look awesome. Almost like they didn’t branch out as wide as they could have, but kept there fullness and didn’t grow into each other. 

Wherever they start losing sun the branches in those areas will start to die off. But yeah, plants are smart. If they’re not getting enough sun growing outward, they’ll put more energy into growing upward. That’s why you have so many tall, lanky/leggy trees growing in tall forests. A pine tree that I let grow in the backyard all alone looks like a giant shrub.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I can't believe how big my hemlock got since I moved here. I didn't realize it until I compared images of the house when it was up for sale in 2013 when we bought it. It's the width that is more of an issue because it kills grass under it. Already trimmed it back once. @tamarack Is there a good way to keep these growing more in the vertical, vs horizontal? I don't want to cut it, but not sure what else I can do. I love the tree.

Short of pruning back lower branches, not much as most trees try to build their "factory" as big as conditions allow, so when standing alone, trees grow both out and up.  I can't think of a way to prune for less width and retain a decent looking tree.  If you try the side-branch pruning, always stop where a vigorous branchlet can be left or the branch will die and be an ugly stub. 
23 years ago we transplanted a 2-foot tall fir onto our lawn.  Fir naturally has a more narrow profile than hemlock, but even so the now 40-foot tall tree is at least 20 feet wide - would make a nice Christmas tree for PWM.

39 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

If we're doing spruce chat, can we have some appreciation for the Norway Spruce? I've always loved their branching structure when they get old and huge. Here's a majestic specimen from downtown Laconia on google maps.

Untitled.png

Much better than norway maples.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wherever they start losing sun the branches in those areas will start to die off. But yeah, plants are smart. If they’re not getting enough sun growing outward, they’ll put more energy into growing upward. That’s why you have so many tall, lanky/leggy trees growing in tall forests. A pine tree that I let grow in the backyard all alone looks like a giant shrub.

Two reasons for "cabbage" pine, full sun and white pine weevil, and the first reinforces the second as the insect prefers the thicker leaders of open-grown pines, more room for the babies.  Weevils hit the young pines in thicker woods, too, but less frequently and usually those pines soon have a single side branch win the race upward, such that the tree has a small crook but is otherwise straight.  In the open, most/all of the top whorl branches continue to grow, and get weeviled, and grow, and . . .  (After white pine, Norway spruce is the weevil favorite due to that tree's thick leaders.  The critter will also hit white spruce, though rarely.  I've never noticed it on red pine.)

10 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

If we're doing spruce chat, can we have some appreciation for the Norway Spruce? I've always loved their branching structure when they get old and huge. Here's a majestic specimen from downtown Laconia on google maps.

Untitled.png

Beautiful tree. I love how full it is right to the bottom and almost has a bit of a weeping feature going on. That’s an incredibly healthy tree 

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m out on the road doing beer sales stuff and I don’t know if if it still effects of the full moon or a lot of people had a bowl of stupid for breakfast but I’ve already seen a half dozen Insane driving incidents.

Did you see what happened on the bridge in Greenfield?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That's a good one right there.  7:30am and blowing numbers.  "Beer."  A winning combo.

It’s super funny to me because I used to drive over that bridge several times a week. 
The bridge renovation won’t be complete until next spring, how that car got past the barriers they have set up is beyond me.

• Like 1

has anyone ever taken a technical assessment/eval at Codingame.com ?

Wondering what the questions - it'll likely be true/false and multi-choice for database - will be like. 

Thing is, I'm a notoriously bad exam taker.   I could copy and past the correct answers into the correct fields, and I'd pull down a D-  ...  

I'm kinda annoyed they are asking me to do this.   They reached out to me for this gig... It's not a headhunter, either - the company did.  I come from a certain technology manifold that is similar, but not an exact fit.  They know this.  So I've been through 3 rounds of interviews ( Zoom), aggregating 4 and half hours worth, and now they send me this tech assessment link at the above url... I'm like WHY!  You look me up and waste a day of interviewing to prove I'm not a fit?   ... 

'Course, I'm just pissy because I hate taking test, too.   Still, a- nnoying

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 12:11 AM, eekuasepinniW said:

Untitled.png

I love the Norway spruce! My old house had two that were about 60 feet tall...really miss them. To grow nice they need lots of room