Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

icestorm_warning.png

Thanks for sharing -- what's the rationale for the difference?  Surprised that central PA, which (I would think) would be much more acclimated to icing and winter weather in general than, say Long Island, gets a warning at just 1/4", while Long Island needs to be forecast for 1/2"?  Seems like it should be the opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wishcast_hater said:

Finally snowing. After the storm is over. Lol 

so much for 8-12”

then 6”-8

then 4”-8”

then 2-4” 

finally settling at 3” of pure sleet. No issues using the snowblower. 

I put two bags of ice melt on my 1/2” of sleet with ice on the driveway.  The precip is done, the temperature is up to 37, and my sleet and ice is all melted.  

3 hours ago, BxSnowWx37 said:

I mentioned how the cold wasn't going anywhere yesterday. The whole event for me was under 32f. Everything is still iced up..tonight is gonna be an adventure when it really freezes up with blk ice. 

If you want, I’ll throw a few pitchers of water on my driveway to freeze it up tonight and you can come over and slip and fall on it for a couple of hours. It should produce that good old deep winter feel for you. I’m right up in Rockland County, let me know…..

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If you want, I’ll throw a few pitchers of water on my driveway to freeze it up tonight and you can come over and slip and fall on it for a couple of hours. It should produce that good old deep winter feel for you. I’m right up in Rockland County, let me know…..

Dude you obviously hate cold and snow, why do you live in Rockland?  The only people who live in a place like that are winter weather enthusiasts, I can't imagine any other reason for living there.  You should be in Florida, you'd love the weather there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Dude you obviously hate cold and snow, why do you live in Rockland?  The only people who live in a place like that are winter weather enthusiasts, I can't imagine any other reason for living there.  You should be in Florida, you'd love the weather there.

If you said this about Lofoten or the outlying islands of Svalbard, then sure, but c'mon..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Surprised by the magnitude of this ping fest. Got about 2 inches of sleet, no snow though, started as sleet from the beginning just after midnight then went over to freezing rain/rain at 9am. The sun is just starting to break through now :-)

I'll give you credit, at least you own up a little when wrong. This is the second event along with 1/16 that overperformed from a winter weather standpoint (not necessarily snow standpoint).

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

If you said this about Lofoten or the outlying islands of Svalbard, then sure, but c'mon..

I'd live there for the Northern Lights.... there are places that far north where you don't even have to leave your house to see amazing Northern Lights displays in your back yard 200 nights a year.  I wonder if they're so used to them they take them for granted?  I've seen that kind of display posted from the Scandanavian nations, yet another reason to want to live there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I'd live there for the Northern Lights.... there are places that far north where you don't even have to leave your house to see amazing Northern Lights displays in your back yard 200 nights a year.  I wonder if they're so used to them they take them for granted?  I've seen that kind of display posted from the Scandanavian nations, yet another reason to want to live there.

There was just a PetaPixel article the other day about a photog who moved to the far remote north for auroras, and he says the same thing that I've heard from a number of others who either live in, or frequently travel to, high latitudes - it never really gets old, but your standards for bundling up and venturing out do get much higher as time goes on. That tracks with just about anything in life that someone might want to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

There was just a PetaPixel article the other day about a photog who moved to the far remote north for auroras, and he says the same thing that I've heard from a number of others who either live in, or frequently travel to, high latitudes - it never really gets old, but your standards for bundling up and venturing out do get much higher as time goes on. That tracks with just about anything in life that someone might want to see.

I would just gaze at them from my windows :) That way you avoid the cold.  Have some of those huge 60" windows that give you a wide angle to view from.

• Like 1