• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion Etc)

Kmlwx

It seems that most models have sped up the line by 2 to 3 hours over the past 24h so that its coming through the metro areas around 2-3pm as opposed to 5-6pm. If it slows back down to the latter time, I would expect the metros to have higher impacts. Something to watch as storms develop tomorrow. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea. I'm with you. Expect to be underwhelmed and you won't be disappointed in these parts.

Definitely not sounding the "meh" yet, but tomorrow around 9am may be a different story. 

The curse of the day 2 ENH. Watch us wake up to a slight with 2/15/5 for tor, wind, hail. 

51 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Definitely not sounding the "meh" yet, but tomorrow around 9am may be a different story. 

The curse of the day 2 ENH. Watch us wake up to a slight with 2/15/5 for tor, wind, hail. 

Naw the SWODY MOD is our curse. Going to wait until midday tomorrow before I decide where I'm in or out.

3 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Wish the models would be a little more enthused. HRDRPS looked decent, but a lot of the models are kind of anemic with activity tomorrow - at least compared to our higher end days. Not that I'm expected an outbreak...but for a day 2 enhanced - and one that @Eskimo Joe uttered the mod possible phrase...I'd expect more. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm just reading too much into sim reflectivity and parameters - but the oranges and reds on supercell composite parameter just aren't there on the guidance that I'm looking at. 

No doubt that the area sees storm activity tomorrow afternoon...but I'm having some doubts as to whether it will be an ENH or MOD day. My mental storm prediction level is at a slight right now. 

If you're looking for significant supercell potential, prepare to be very disappointed.    I know that SPC has us in the 5 TOR, but I've always thought of tomorrow as a wind day.     There is deep layer shear to support SVR, but the low-level shear to ramp up the TOR potential is pretty marginal at best.     That's especially true if it ends up as an early show.    The NAM Nest has gone back to a single beefy squall line later in the day, but other CAMs seem to prefer an earlier, broken line.     Among those, there is disagreement as to whether a second line will roll through later in the day;  a second line might have better wind fields to work with.   I still line the overall wind threat tomorrow, although unless the 00Z NAM Nest idea is right, it's probably more of a SLGT than an ENH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Sorry good sir, first Day 1 OTLK is ENH with 5 tor, 15 hail. and 30 wind

15 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Not that it means a ton 24 hours out, but some of the Sim reflectivity has left a little to be desired. Definitely a solid setup though. I'm a little concerned the best activity goes N of our area. @mappyville looks solid 

Got a little storm last night so I’ll gladly take another 

D38D4206-211E-44C2-9C05-7EE5D5E690CD.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

HRRR the past few runs has been really stormy. Seems to be one of the most aggressive pieces of guidance at the moment. 

all models have some sort of line coming through 3-5pm. if we can stay mostly sunny today, i think the more robust outputs could happen.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

Dumb clouds right now

There is some junk stating to form in the cloudiness down in VA (Lynchburg to CHO area). That could really lower instability potential today. Still think odds are good at strong storms - but the usual routes to failure are present. 

Visible satellite does show a decent amount of clear areas from around Winchester up into the Frederick, MD area and then up into southern PA. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.aed070757a99f78dcc850536f60a6f38.png

All that cloudiness/shower activity just south of the area is heading north. Seems the area outlined in red is where the good sun is going to be. It's still early, though...and it's also possible the breaks in the clouds down near Farmville, VA can get up here after the junk moves through. I'm liking the area that SPC has in the 45% wind still. Matches relatively well with this more sunny area. I wouldn't be surprised to see it tugged just a bit more out of the DC/Baltimore area on the next update (maybe removing Baltimore. 

I gotta say, growing up in southern Ohio and then living in western TN for a dozen years before moving to this part of maryland, I remain amazed at how hard to get decent severe here. You can set your watch by early day cloud cover screwing things up it feels like 9 times out of 10.  Serious question about my random perception- is it our location east of the blue ridge that encourages and locks in cloud cover on the regular on these kinds of days?