• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion Etc)

Kmlwx

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings do not trigger Wireless Emergency Alerts unless the SVR is tagged for 'Destructive': https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/destructive-thunderstorm-alerts-what-they-are-and-why-the-nws-issues-them

My guess is what would be considered "Destructive" would be something like the 2012 Derecho.

21 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Why dont they put out alerts for Thunderstorm warnings anymore?

I don't remember there ever being WEAs for STWarnings before last year. I believe last year was when WEAs for STWs started for 2.75"+ hail and 80+ mph winds.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Unless SPC is seeing something that we aren't, I think we're primed for Round #2...perhaps even one that surpasses this morning's activity in some areas.

I will be more diplomatic with the criticism than some of what gets thrown around in my sub, but let's say that SPC can be a bit slow to react sometimes. While they are the foremost experts on this stuff, I would definitely put weight on the outside collective thoughts/opinions from knowledgeable folks.

Most of the  time around DC when we get hit like  we did at the time if day we were then the atmosphere is sapped and stabilized.  Now 85 degrees and full sunshine and no breeze can destabilize again but 70% of the time that does not happen and dire forecasts of round two do not materialize 

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, H2O said:

Good thing that was EAST of you

Got the alert on my watch when I was in the lavatory of all places! :P

Everyone freaks out when they hear it on their phones.  Pulled up velocity and the spinup was about 500 yards EAST of my toilet (location).  Just dark skies, windy and rain here.  Doubt it did anything on the ground but there was definitely some rotation, albeit for a short time.

Showers running from SW of CHO down to Chatham, VA. Those could serve to increase cloud cover. We'll see how the pockets of clearing sustain or fill in in the NoVA/Central Maryland/DC areas in the next hour or two. The most recent mesoanalysis shows we are pretty worked over in terms of CAPE. 

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Showers running from SW of CHO down to Chatham, VA. Those could serve to increase cloud cover. We'll see how the pockets of clearing sustain or fill in in the NoVA/Central Maryland/DC areas in the next hour or two. The most recent mesoanalysis shows we are pretty worked over in terms of CAPE. 

We have a decent amount of shear and low level moisture so the wet microburst potential is still there.

Nothing exciting here. A few rumbles of thunder, but some decent rain. 0.40". Still some on and off showers. Instability should be on the wane through the rest of the afternoon into the evening, but hopefully another round of showers can bring maybe an additional quarter inch. Mesos look pretty meh with the next round weakening as it moves east.

35 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Most of the  time around DC when we get hit like  we did at the time if day we were then the atmosphere is sapped and stabilized.  Now 85 degrees and full sunshine and no breeze can destabilize again but 70% of the time that does not happen and dire forecasts of round two do not materialize 

While generally true you only have to go back a few days for a dual round of storms that verified warnings in the area.

• Thanks 1

Drove through North Beach while out running errands. Lots of debris on the roads and a small area with numerous trees down including 2 houses that I saw were damaged. Luckily the worst of the damage seems to have been to this shed
62a31b349d063d067eb4e8a7d5c101ff.jpg

7 minutes ago, Terrapinwx said:

Drove through North Beach while out running errands. Lots of debris on the roads and a small area with numerous trees down including 2 houses that I saw were damaged. Luckily the worst of the damage seems to have been to this shed
62a31b349d063d067eb4e8a7d5c101ff.jpg

If it had been blue it would have been unscathed :)

• Haha 4