joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Animals, Obscured by Clouds and especially Meddle are favorites. The latter might be #1 overall for me....hard to beat Dark Side tho

They’ve had so many albums and as a college boy in the late 90s, whatever CD’s we had we played of theirs. I don’t think we ever had/played Meddle though. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Just going by the ptype maps and the fact there's a slight lag...at least versus 00z.

It didn't appear much different then 06z, But until i can look its speculation, Hate being in this position, Its not usually this close to have to be concerned.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Euro the winner with this system among the globals?  I haven’t followed closely the past few days.

Yeah I think it will be....it was too warm a few days ago, but it's going to be closer than the GFS. Not by a ton, but I think Euro is prob gonna win this like 60/40 compromise....I'll have to go back and see what each run had at D4.5-5.

30 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The only thing I know for sure is that the NAM 3km does incorporate a riming factor when outputting snow. Not quite explicit pytpe forecast, but close to it.

Ah, yes. Sounds like it's (snowfall) computed via NAM's (only available for the nested, 3km domain) microphysics scheme (Ferrier-Algo):

TT has this product on their website (Ferrier SLR), so it must be available somewhere.

If this is computed diagnostically, then this is the fourth model (that I'm aware of) that computes snowfall between PBL timesteps.

RAP & HRRR: Weighted snow density wrt individual hydrometeors - https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/blob/master/phys/module_sf_ruclsm.F. Most straightforward algorithm to understand - search for 'SNOWFALLAC.' Since it depends on temperature at the lowest atmospheric level, I think these products will tend to be overestimated if QPF is correct.

NAM 3km: Looks like bulk snow density as a function of volume flux. https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/blob/master/phys/module_mp_fer_hires.F - search for 'ASNOW' and 'ASNOWnew.'

ICON: Can't tell for sure... Can't find its source code.