Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's funny how the CMC and GFS first had this storm a huge snowstorm for the area and quickly trended weaker and east with it and them the Euro picked it up. 

the weaker the storm the more east it went... now if the storm was in the 950's it would have been different

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Not really

All the models did show a huge storm at one point. Remember 18z Saturday on the gfs ? 

yes with a lack of reliable data input......the main features are now inland being sampled more accurately - and when all the models are showing further east - time to believe them...

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Just goes to show the importance of Atlantic blocking.

It slows everything down allowing shortwaves to phase at the right moment.

If you don't have that then a very strong PNA like Feb 2006 can help. The PNA this time isn't as strong. 

I think you are onto something and without blocking it just doesn't cut it. Let's see if we can wind up with anything significant, though I'm starting to doubt even that....

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I think you are onto something and without blocking it just doesn't cut it. Let's see if we can wind up with anything significant, though I'm starting to doubt even that....

Blocking would have prevented this from going way offshore and have no chance of an exit.

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If you don't have that then a very strong PNA like Feb 2006 can help. The PNA this time isn't as strong. 

yeah in Don's post the AO is +1.8    NAO also positive....

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

Blocking would have prevented this from going way offshore and have no chance of an exit.

The flow would've been slower allowing the SW shortwave to phase in and have the system go negative quickly.

If for any reason the 12z suite is wrong and the energy phases in quickly then the entire outlook changes in a hurry. That's how delicate this setup is. 

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This has always been described as a thread the needle system. We don’t have much help from the Atlantic side. We’re relying on the departing Canada high and Atlantic ridge really as a quasi-block. Bluewave described this well. 

We just have to hope the models are underselling the speed of the southern stream because that phase is the ballgame for 90% of us. And unfortunately the Euro’s been slowing that down over the last few runs too. It’s found ways to still bury us with late shifts but we need that trend to stop/reverse. 

• Like 4

Trends so far (excluding the NAM) this morning should be considered as a very viable option as far as an eventual outcome.  I'm fully expecting the EURO to go eastward at least somewhat with 12Z cycle.  I think with the upper feature onshore out west and included in 12Z cycle we should start seeing models come together.  I think the 12Z runs pending the EURO are starting to put the writing on the wall.  Not an ultimate final solution but trending toward one.

• Like 3

Please for the sake of everyone reading this forum and trying to spend time here and hang out and learn and kill time at work or whatever….think before you post. If youve declared the threat dead, please just move on. You arent here to convince others to switch religions, once is enough. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Just now, MJO812 said:

Media is starting to mention a huge snowstorm for Saturday. Now people definitely think it's on the way.

Late to the party as always. What gets me is we can all see that it's been a crap setup all winter but we still want to believe we can thread the needle somehow, because ya know, it's always possible. I'm still hoping to get something outta this, 4-8 would still be a win in my book. But the way some here talk, it looks like nothing at all is on the table for lots of us. Can't say that yet.

The importance of blocking from NYC and southward cannot be overstated. An AO-/PNA+ was present for the following % of 10” or greater snowstorms during the January 15-February 15 period (1950-2021): Boston: 42% (n=19) New York City: 71% (n=17) Philadelphia: 90% (n=10) 2 or more of those cities: 81% (n=16) All 3 of those cities: 86% (n=7).

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The importance of blocking from NYC and southward cannot be overstated. An AO-/PNA+ was present for the following % of 10” or greater snowstorms during the January 15-February 15 period (1950-2021): Boston: 42% (n=19) New York City: 71% (n=17) Philadelphia: 90% (n=10) 2 or more of those cities: 81% (n=16) All 3 of those cities: 86% (n=7).

So Boston doesn't need it as much....further north and east. Which is why it is generally snowier there. And my BIL in ME, forget it. Snows at the drop of a hat. Even there it hasn't been very snowy this year though.

• Like 1