• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

We continue to see slight improvements (across all models) with the main features aloft. That continues, at this time, to be the most important aspect overall. While it would be great to see these changes reflected within the surface, that is secondary at this point. If these improvements aloft continue I will bet anything all the models end up converging on a more westward track and we'll see heavier QPF thrown more west than what some models indicate. Just given what we're seeing aloft, IMO the chances of more west are much greater than more east. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CT Valley Dryslot said:

I'd weigh in the possibility of the at least the Route 7 corridor getting 0.0"

That's the real borderline.

The River valley is probably OK for, at a minimum, an advisory event.

I'm west of 7 by about 10-15 miles. I am bracing for the possibility of just a cloudy day with some flurries. But hey at least we'll have the wind chill to track!

Just now, CT Valley Dryslot said:

On the forecast page, there is a map, where you can click to get a forecast for that specific location.

Often the snow totals will differ greatly between locations just a few miles away.

Except I clicked around and they don't differ greatly so it seems you made that up in this instance?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

We continue to see slight improvements (across all models) with the main features aloft. That continues, at this time, to be the most important aspect overall. While it would be great to see these changes reflected within the surface, that is secondary at this point. If these improvements aloft continue I will bet anything all the models end up converging on a more westward track and we'll see heavier QPF thrown more west than what some models indicate. Just given what we're seeing aloft, IMO the chances of more west are much greater than more east. 

Your map looks good 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Words like this are better and more settling than all the drugs in the world.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The ukie is a terrible model

How do you have those shifts close to an event ?

They're all doing that, as performance relates to this particular enigma. 

I'm not sure what is real vs fantasy anymore.   Those with varying wit as to how to interpret /categorize and analyze these models, are actually in a form of information overload.  There's no way to analyze all that is available from just one model, in just 6 hours, before the same buffet's served all over again ...Yet there's like some 8 or 12 sources. 

Yet, every little "tick" ...as the vernacular comes to call them, triggers these response explosions, the thread increases page numbers by 4 or 5 inside of 1/2 hr.  The problem is, there is hyper sensitivity and focus that's beyond the performance of any model really. 

So the disconnect seems to be where fantastic "expectations" are in a disconnect from reality.  These models were not going to show 18" every run, for 7 days... People say they know that... then go along and behave manic anyway -  I think showing 20" every cycle, even at 2 or 3 days lead, when there are run 4 times day, isn't likely to happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But if you want more bang for your buck, do it in data sparse areas that are upstream. But I don't allocate where the money is going haha.

guess we'll see when the data goes into the models tonight from the atlantic mission.. I wonder if thats why the models were further west last night because they got the extra data from that mission and 12z didnt have any new data?

Where do I find the national blended model that TV mets like to use here in Houston?  What does the blend say?  Oh- is the national blended model like the FSU Super Ensemble, where it analyzes past events and model performance and then weights models accordingly?  Do they make clown maps for the national blend?

• Weenie 2

Giving credit to where credit is due
Start with GINX and go from there, give or take a day or two, NAILED!
Pattern recognition. This event was on the playing field back a few weeks with even a thread started. 
As all, most start digging out... here a killing freeze. Wouldn't be surprised reaching the teens, for this climate it has prompted headlines of "extreme cold".