• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Wind doesn't really do it for me...Super Storm was the only exception. I thought 1/29 may rival that, but it was nothing like it as far as drifting, despite comparable snowfall. Maybe winds were less? I had like 5' drifts in that one...1/29 was like 14" max drift, at least in my yard.

Really underwhelming.

54 minutes ago, PWMan said:

First car-windows-down day of the season, and I finally cleared the last of the sleet-glacier from my driveway. Life is good.

Had a very enjoyable late morning walk today.  The club's big groomer had run the snomo trail thru our woodlot yesterday and with this morning's 19° it was still firm - much easier walking than on bare ground with the rocks, mush and puddles.  Zero animal tracks since Tuesday's 3.5" (lots of deer tracks closer to the house, though), no deer, no coyotes, no bunnies, no partridge - though I did flush 2 birds from a hemlock as I passed by.Still 24" at the stake.  That 3.5" had it momentarily up to 27", then the rain packed it to 25 and 3 days of near 40 could only push it down another inch.  Probably 6-6.5" LE in that pack.

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man the anger from the interior is palpable. I may not even log on next winter if it's the outside of 495 crush jobs and avoid the chest thumping and curb stomping that they'll do. 

Lots of whining these days. But whatever....I'll take whatever snow I can get. I try to tune out the whining.

• Like 5

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I certainly wouldn't be whining in Holliston.

I haven't had a good winter. Not as bad as you, but it's been solidly below normal for snowfall. If you lopped 6" off my 1/29 total, it wouldn't really change my perception much.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I haven't had a good winter. Not as bad as you, but it's been solidly below normal for snowfall. If you lopped 6" off my 1/29 total, it wouldn't really change my perception much.

Right....you have done much better in general over past few years, but I get it....you aren't one to complain, anyway.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

46.8° :sun:

Beat ya    47.7F   (Maybe not as your post was 2 hours ago) We were down in Tilton yesterday and came back through Franklin. .  Looking at the snow on the rooftops and banks we seem to have double what you had.  Even with full sun and the torch all day the pack has only settled an inch or two.  Still 11"  at the snow stake

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lots of whining these days. But whatever....I'll take whatever snow I can get. I try to tune out the whining.

That’s the thing, I’m happy with an inch or two here and there but it’s been tough to even get that in the upper CRV this year. 
I was out in Charlemont yesterday, not far from Berkshire East and there’s better snow pack in Gardner than there is out on the East Slope of the Berks. 
Just a tough year, nothing I can do about it but move forward. 

• Like 2

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That’s the thing, I’m happy with an inch or two here and there but it’s been tough to even get that in the upper CRV this year. 
I was out in Charlemont yesterday, not far from Berkshire East and there’s better snow pack in Gardner than there is out on the East Slope of the Berks. 

Yes snow is going fast out here.  Wasn’t much to begin with.  Sub par winter all around out here.  Today is great skiing though! Yay!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GCWarrior said:

Yes snow is going fast out here.  Wasn’t much to begin with.  Sub par winter all around out here.  Today is great skiing though! Yay!

Plenty of cold weather helped Berkshire East, Mt Snow etc. lay a good base.  We can’t really afford too many of these warm days though because it’s a pretty small bank account as far as base depth goes.

I am not a huge IMBY guy for snow totals.  Sure I like a lot of snow but I’m OK with getting shafted if the nearby mountains get snow and that just hasn’t been the case this year.  I like snowshoeing and backcountry skiing but I don’t often have the luxury to drive two or three hours to find the goods.  I rely on the Berkshires the Southern Greens and the Monads and it’s been tough in all of those areas. 
Whatever, we might still get a good storm or two in, otherwise hopefully blocking doesn’t show up to create April misery. 
I’ll still get outside and do things no matter what the weather.

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

How are conditions at B’East?  I was considering going but I can’t imagine it is very good

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Plenty of cold weather helped Berkshire East, Mt Snow etc. lay a good base.  We can’t really afford too many of these warm days though because it’s a pretty small bank account as far as base depth goes.

I am not a huge IMBY guy for snow totals.  Sure I like a lot of snow but I’m OK with getting shafted if the nearby mountains get snow and that just hasn’t been the case this year.  I like snowshoeing and backcountry skiing but I don’t often have the luxury to drive two or three hours to find the goods.  I rely on the Berkshires the Southern Greens and the Monads and it’s been tough in all of those areas. 
Whatever, we might still get a good storm or two in, otherwise hopefully blocking doesn’t show up to create April misery. 

Wise man.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This one is up there for me in terms of snowfall deficits...not warmth. But with respect to snowfall....its along side 2011-2012, 1994-1995, 1991-1992 an 1988-1989. I'm only 4.6" over my futility record of 1979-1980.

This is about as bad as it gets here, and I'm not sure some realize just how bad it has been when I got shit on for complaining after the blizzard.

Cold and dry is pretty annoying too.  You brought some excellent examples from the late 80s and early 90s too.  Was 89-90 up there for you too?

1979-1980 was horrible, and another one of those with October snow (all the way down to DC!) that did basically nothing afterwards.

We basically had one shot to win the game with a HR and instead of hitting a HR it was a double and the runner was stranded on base (closest baseball comparison I can make to that blizzard lol.)

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

@LibertyBellpretty insensitive and dickish response don't you think?  You've posted enough in OT and AMPol to know that using the R word is a bannable offense, do you really think using autism is any better?

well I know people who have it, and that's typical behavior.  It was an observation, nothing more.  What was way worse was making derogatory comments about Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, don't you think?  The guy is a total ass and it's time to call him out on it-- don't be defending him, you just promote his behavior more.

So go cry me a river for being "dickish" to him-- he deserves a hell of a lot worse than that.

• Weenie 2

8 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

I agree. It's basically saying the same thing. Personally I'm not one to be offended by the words people use, I just can't stand someone being a dick...

Same to you--

well I know people who have it, and that's typical behavior.  It was an observation, nothing more.  What was way worse was making derogatory comments about Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, don't you think?  The guy is a total ass and it's time to call him out on it-- don't be defending him, you just promote his behavior more.

So go cry me a river for being "dickish" to him-- he deserves a hell of a lot worse than that.

"R" has nothing to do with autism.  The dude is a smart dude, he clearly has issues with people and trolls people and makes tonedeaf near-racist digs (or did you fail to notice he made a derogatory comment using two accomplished BLACK MEN?)  This has nothing to with "R" and everything to do with his behavior for multiple years across multiple forums.

He's a 5 posted guy who spends his entire day giving out 100s of weenies to everyone else and for what-- liking snow?  So get your facts straight before you open your mouth, until then, stand down.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

@LibertyBellpretty insensitive and dickish response don't you think?  You've posted enough in OT and AMPol to know that using the R word is a bannable offense, do you really think using autism is any better?

uhm you actually made a horrible comparison "R" has nothing to do with autism.  The dude is a smart dude, he clearly has issues with people and trolls people and makes tonedeaf near-racist digs (or did you fail to notice he made a derogatory comment using two accomplished BLACK MEN?)  This has nothing to with "R" and everything to do with his behavior for multiple years across multiple forums.

He's a 5 posted guy who spends his entire day giving out 100s of weenies to everyone else and for what-- liking snow?  So get your facts straight before you open your mouth, until then, stand down.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wind doesn't really do it for me...Super Storm was the only exception. I thought 1/29 may rival that, but it was nothing like it as far as drifting, despite comparable snowfall. Maybe winds were less? I had like 5' drifts in that one...1/29 was like 14" max drift, at least in my yard.

Really underwhelming.

78 wouldn't have been 78 without the winds. I love to see huge drifts.

10 hours ago, NeonPeon said:

See now this is actually irony, people... Calling someone autistic for making fun of the blind.

yeah having known his shtick for a number of years, he actually deserves to be called a lot worse.

And apparently you didn't notice that he specifically used TWO ACCOMPLISHED BLACK MEN in his comparison, so yeah he's racist too.

That's the R word that should be used for him.