Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Perhaps too much weighting of the MJO?  Scooter says the MJO isn’t the end all be all. 

Ehhh…I’m not sure what his thoughts are so I won’t comment on that. But imo, the mjo will be in the driver seat with the strong pv, +epo, +nao and mjo warm phases. I completely understand in some years it won’t be dictating our pattern. With that said, so far this year it has been in the driver seat. The cold January was a direct result of the mjo going 7/8 then died in IO which had lingering cold phases. Yes, we/sne can sneak a well timed event in. But overall the second half of February favors warm to perhaps way above normal imo 

5 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I was thinking the next 10 days might be our delayed Jan thaw, but instead I think it is a full melt out, maybe followed by irritating March snows that stop me from planting in the garden.  Once the pack melts I'm all for spring.

Well we got 3 huge cutters on the gfs spaced out every 5 days. This the operational of course.  Ensemables support that pattern.  Lights out pattern. 

I just happened to scroll through clown range on the GFS today....and this event caught my eye not because it's remotely going to happen, but because it's the type of event I would have expected more of this season but we just haven't seen them. We usually have at least 1 or 2 during a La Nina. Even cruddy La Ninas usually feature one.

Can't remember the last time we had a solid front end thump on a nice SWFE...maybe 2/12/19.

image.png.e6841ae8e09496cddfe035c7876fccd6.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I just happened to scroll through clown range on the GFS today....and this event caught my eye not because it's remotely going to happen, but because it's the type of event I would have expected more of this season but we just haven't seen them. We usually have at least 1 or 2 during a La Nina. Even cruddy La Ninas usually feature one.

Can't remember the last time we had a solid front end thump on a nice SWFE...maybe 2/12/19.

image.png.e6841ae8e09496cddfe035c7876fccd6.png

Especially during December....I feel like this is what all of that compression between the RNA and NAO robbed us of.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I was thinking the next 10 days might be our delayed Jan thaw, but instead I think it is a full melt out, maybe followed by irritating March snows that stop me from planting in the garden.  Once the pack melts I'm all for spring.

Thank you!   I’m holding to lose the pack tomorrow.   Still icy areas mid day today on walking areas and paths.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Especially during December....I feel like this is what all of that compression between the RNA and NAO robbed us of.

Yeah for sure...if that RNA was just a little less extreme...we likely would have had multiple events like that (we went over how similar that pattern was to Dec 1970...just the RNA was more extreme)....you saw how many went through the meatgrinder as they were approaching us. Not only does a lesser RNA relax some of that meatgrinder, it also allows the cold to seep a little further south....potent combo...highs pressing down a little more against stronger shortwaves that don't lose their integrity.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for sure...if that RNA was just a little less extreme...we likely would have had multiple events like that....you saw how many went through the meatgrinder as they were approaching us. Not only does a lesser RNA relax some of that meatgrinder, it also allows the cold to seep a little further south....potent combo...highs pressing down a little more against stronger shortwaves that don't lose their integrity.

Those are the type of events that I expected to clean up on throughout mid to late December....too bad. This season had potential...it wasn't an abomination, but just didn't work out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Everything is over 

I’d be fine with that, but that isn’t gonna happen.  She’s gonna torture us right through March.  I’m not saying we score anything significant(although that’s always a distinct possibility in SNE through mid March), but it’s not gonna be a big huge beautiful warm up that lasts like 2012, No, this season is sadistic/evil, she’s got more nastiness in her…you just watch. 

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’d be fine with that, but that isn’t gonna happen.  She’s gonna torture us right through March.  I’m not saying we score anything significant(although that’s always a distinct possibility in SNE through mid March), but it’s not gonna be a big huge beautiful warm up that lasts like 2012, No, this season is sadistic/evil, she’s got more nastiness in her…you just watch. 

I still feel like we will end up with a big interior event somehow....even in a shit pattern....like a spring bowling ball, or something. I just find it hard to believe that this season will end this paltry.

• Like 1

Mud turns hard as coal Saturday night.   Pretty intense low level temp crash signaled here.  Not sure it's a real 'thaw' in the spirit of seasonal escape. ... not even long enough to transience.  I bet there's a frozen layer that survives.

The signals for warm end to Feb are certainly real, but that could materialize either very much so...or more tepid.  The latter version probably doesn't break warm enough to 'keep it thawed out' - it's not slam dunk to ever call a winter over on Feb 11

LOL ... some tantrums I think.

• Like 2