Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

17 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Can a willing met explain the basic physics principles behind secondary LP development? And what that might mean for this situation, what with the H5 track so far west? Eager minds want to know

The secondary development at the surface will help hold in the cold air…esp over the interior. However, if the H5 track remains really far west, the precip will still likely flip because the midlevel centers are going to be closer to the H5 forcing than the sfc. But even sfc secondary will help some as it will prob keep the R/S line closer to the coast early on before aloft warms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

what's preventing this from redevelopment off the coast? trying to understand why normally these would transfer, is it SST, baroclinic zone? why exactly would this not transfer with the amount of energy out ahead of it, or is that the reason why?

No blocking 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The secondary development at the surface will help hold in the cold air…esp over the interior. However, if the H5 track remains really far west, the precip will still likely flip because the midlevel centers are going to be closer to the H5 forcing than the sfc. But even sfc secondary will help some as it will prob keep the R/S line closer to the coast early on before aloft warms. 

I think I see. So at this point, since H5 appears so unfavorable, we are banking on surface redev to help keep winds from turning SE and washing away our WAA snows/also prolonging our WAA snows?

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Also, is H5 considered upper level and H7-8 midlevel? Just for jargon-understanding purposes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

what's preventing this from redevelopment off the coast? trying to understand why normally these would transfer, is it SST, baroclinic zone? why exactly would this not transfer with the amount of energy out ahead of it, or is that the reason why?

Closed upper level low that amplifies and occludes west of here.

• Like 1

This paragraph stands out in my mind

While the lower levels of the atmosphere will be much slower to moderate over the deep interior on northeasterly winds, roughly beyond I 495, the mid levels of the atmosphere will still warm quickly on southwesterly winds aloft due to the fact that the mid level low pressure area will pass to the west across New York state. This will not only promote a mix and transition to sleet after several inches of snowfall, but drier air will also be advected in on the southwesterly flow, limiting the amount of overall precipitation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm still on the train (and I guess speaking specifically about CT here) that we probably dry slot before any type of changeover occurs...or the amount of precip which falls during the change over process is very little. The thump with this is going to be very impressive here. The problem (which will limit accumulation potential) is snow ratios are likely going to be pretty junky. Although I'm not totally 100% sold on this. There's going to be some phenomenal lift with this. It may be too early for these details but noting that the 18z GFS bufkit for BDL actually pushes ratios upwards of 15:1. This is likely dependent on the degree of lift into the DGZ. 

If the snow is more wet in nature (which this has to be a consideration) then power outages could become a problem b/c I still think we would be seeing several-plus inches of snow.

One other huge key with this system, especially when you're talking about interior New England is this system is likely going to occlude rather quickly and moisture inflow will essentially be choked off. This system could fall apart rapidly upon approach. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I could see a situation where there is rather large temperature gradient between the immediate coastline and just inland. The GFS anyways is trying really hard to get that secondary going. Just based off the 18z run I'm inclined to think it's boundary layer warmth is a bit overdone inland. The issue though is those dynamics coming off the ocean are pretty strong. Even if we were to see warmth at the sfc, I would think it's relatively shallow and by the time we see that occur...much of the damage (QPF) has already fallen. 

The amount of moisture which is going to be thrown into the cold air mass initially is going to be insane with those llvl dynamics. 

Same page....I hit on both of these aspects in my first call.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This paragraph stands out in my mind

While the lower levels of the atmosphere will be much slower to moderate over the deep interior on northeasterly winds, roughly beyond I 495, the mid levels of the atmosphere will still warm quickly on southwesterly winds aloft due to the fact that the mid level low pressure area will pass to the west across New York state. This will not only promote a mix and transition to sleet after several inches of snowfall, but drier air will also be advected in on the southwesterly flow, limiting the amount of overall precipitation.

I'm thinking if the H5 evolution more or less holds we have maybe 3-4 hours of heavy precip, and then moderate precip for another couple

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Same page....I hit on both of these aspects in my first call.

I could see a rather substantial coastal front with this and a subsequent band of extremely heavy snow. Something maybe upwards of 12-18''. Missed your first call so not sure what your thoughts on on this.