• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

I'm still on the train (and I guess speaking specifically about CT here) that we probably dry slot before any type of changeover occurs...or the amount of precip which falls during the change over process is very little. The thump with this is going to be very impressive here. The problem (which will limit accumulation potential) is snow ratios are likely going to be pretty junky. Although I'm not totally 100% sold on this. There's going to be some phenomenal lift with this. It may be too early for these details but noting that the 18z GFS bufkit for BDL actually pushes ratios upwards of 15:1. This is likely dependent on the degree of lift into the DGZ. 

If the snow is more wet in nature (which this has to be a consideration) then power outages could become a problem b/c I still think we would be seeing several-plus inches of snow.

One other huge key with this system, especially when you're talking about interior New England is this system is likely going to occlude rather quickly and moisture inflow will essentially be choked off. This system could fall apart rapidly upon approach. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Euro is really warm in the boundary layer. 2m temps at BDL up to +4c at 12z Monday.

Yeah we need that secondary development to slow the warming. The coast is prob a done deal but interior still has a lot of variance on what could happen. 

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It still looks a lot worse than the GFS. It needs another solid bump east. 

Plus… It technically hasn’t “chased” GFS 

Kev keep in mind they run at the same time but we don’t get to see the euro until it’s a couple hours or more later. That might give the illusion of it running or chasing it rather but it really just kind of moving back-and-forth in tandem

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It keeps coming south east. Too much emphasis on Euro boundary layer and not enough on how it keeps moving east . 

It didn’t really move though at 18z. I’ll be more intrigued if it bumps east at 00z. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we need that secondary development to slow the warming. The coast is prob a done deal but interior still has a lot of variance on what could happen. 

I could see a situation where there is rather large temperature gradient between the immediate coastline and just inland. The GFS anyways is trying really hard to get that secondary going. Just based off the 18z run I'm inclined to think it's boundary layer warmth is a bit overdone inland. The issue though is those dynamics coming off the ocean are pretty strong. Even if we were to see warmth at the sfc, I would think it's relatively shallow and by the time we see that occur...much of the damage (QPF) has already fallen. 

The amount of moisture which is going to be thrown into the cold air mass initially is going to be insane with those llvl dynamics. 

• Like 1

looks like I'll be having a fun trip from WV to GA on Sunday morning, local calling for a foot where I'm staying, and about 4" where I'm going...3 days to continue SE trend and at least hug instead of cut and change over, is today's system stopping to eastward progression of sundays system, which is why it's been showing so far west?

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The deformation area hasn’t moved over WNY.

That’s a done deal . No one in our area is getting that unless we see 100 mile shift which isn’t likely. This is just a swfe on roids for most of NE. The key is ti get the secondary to track over the far outer Cape which is Climo for Jan and seems highly likely . As long as that happens .. it’s a net gainer even for BOS

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For sure. At least for my backyard seems like we're going to have a really hard time preventing the torch as the high retreats and wind cranks out of the E/SE. Farther north up toward the Pike I think there's definitely more room.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s a done deal . No one in our area is getting that unless we see 100 mile shift which isn’t likely. This is just a swfe on roids for most of NE. The key is ti get the secondary to track over the far outer Cape which is Climo for Jan and seems highly likely . As long as that happens .. it’s a net gainer even for BOS

SWFE. :lol:     With a banana high to Bermuda. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

For sure. At least for my backyard seems like we're going to have a really hard time preventing the torch as the high retreats and wind cranks out of the E/SE. Farther north up toward the Pike I think there's definitely more room.

You don't think the majority of our QPF would come as snow? I'm still a bit torn on how much we torch inland but looks like much of the QPF is snow then we change over...and by that point we may already be beginning to dry slot? I know it's too far out too really dig into bufkit but this was encouraging to see

image.thumb.png.85c0cbd38959bcda392effa8600537e6.png