Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

That 00z GFS run was one of the craziest, most incredible runs I’ve ever seen for CONUS winter prospects. It even destroys us out here with cold and snow. Man, I’d pay good money for that.

Its been damned COLD in south central Texas, problem is, we have been SO spoiled utterly rotten for so long with 82/68 dewpoints!!!!!!!!! I actually thought it was chilly with a south wind comin in off the GoM, with 72/67 conditions late at night at midnight in late December!

I realize this is heresy, coming from me...........But I want those 68 degree dewpoints BACK in Buda for a couple of days, along with 83 degree ambient temps.

This is what happens when you work outside in south Texas summers for three years running. I'm used to it, I work out there in mid August heat like I grew up down here lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

So, when do we get snow again :D 

Hey it's nice to be seeing snow and also looking just over a week ahead at potential! I tried to stop it, but...my brain was already getting sucked into next weekend even as last night's fun was going on. But I made sure to enjoy that as it happened...progress :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Don’t know about snow but bet we see freezing rain this weekend

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I've heard. Haven't looked too closely at it. 

Yeah I had a question about this...Is it a possibility Sunday morning? Church called yesterday about it and decided to close, and I was caught a tad off guard (though I remember a couple of you had mentioned things looking a but colder)

My personal guess is a big storm prob won't set up until a few of the legit cold troughs carve thru and create some highways. Maybe an overrunner or moderate event of any kind b4.  Me thinks big storm potential is on the relax side of the cold pattern. Just a WAG. No real ideas on anything specific. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My personal guess is a big storm prob won't set up until a few of the legit cold troughs carve thru and create some highways. Maybe an overrunner or moderate event of any kind b4.  Me thinks big storm potential is on the relax side of the cold pattern. Just a WAG. No real ideas on anything specific. 

I tend to agree but I’m always open to Mother Nature surprising me. But it looks like we have a real winter this year at least. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Rather be in the 60’s the days leading up to a 6-12 incher versus  20’s and low 30’s for highs and no snow lol. Heck we pulled it off earlier in the week!!!!

Yea I’m in the camp to where the way the year has gone thus far something will show up on the back end of the short range to early medium range. A lot of little nuances happening in the atmosphere as of recent wrt lows just ripping through. Hard to time or predict until it gets closer in time.

40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Great thing about cold in the northeast is that an overrunner/tn/oh valley cutter can be a lot of fun. I want one of those followed by a Midwest arctic blast with a Miller A running the coast with that cold pushing in followed quickly by a stout clipper bringing a 1985 cold shot right behind it. Theoretically it could happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I tend to agree but I’m always open to Mother Nature surprising me. But it looks like we have a real winter this year at least. 

Winter wx here is perplexing. I'm starting to no longer care about anything in the Fall. Even enso. I mean sure, mod Nino ftw but for whatever reason, our good winter periods are compressed and busy and they can happen in any year. Odds favor certain years but I've seen enough counter moves over the last 15 years to temper any and all expectations of anything beyond a couple weeks. 

Eta: important addition to my post... big storm setups are different and they are the holy grail of why we do this. Good setups can be easy to identify weeks or even a month in advance. I'll track TF out of every single one from long range. Beyond that I'm officially in chips fall mode prob forever 

• Like 10

A slight change of plans. Improvement in the MJO, tropical forcing and for the first time in a while we have

a  SOI reading of - 7.63  today. 

Date Tahiti (hPa) Darwin (hPa) Daily Contribution 30 day Av. SOI 90 day Av. SOI
7 Jan 2022 1011.09 1008.10 -7.63 10.53 9.97
  • Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic