Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Winter wx here is perplexing. I'm starting to no longer care about anything in the Fall. Even enso. I mean sure, mod Nino ftw but for whatever reason, our good winter periods are compressed and busy and they can happen in any year. Odds favor certain years but I've seen enough counter moves over the last 15 years to temper any and all expectations of anything beyond a couple weeks. 

Eta: important addition to my post... big storm setups are different and they are the holy grail of why we do this. Good setups can be easy to identify weeks or even a month in advance. I'll track TF out of every single one from long range. Beyond that I'm officially in chips fall mode prob forever 

This is so true Bob! Thanks for posting. I mean, I was all doom and gloom, and only expecting to see cold and snow maybe in February if we were lucky! This winter is now better than I expected. Additionally, I thought I was right while sweltering in December. I do suspect we have another warmer stretch at some point before maybe one last hurrah to make winter last a bit longer after the pattern changes.. but I can hope it doesn't change! I like winter to feel and be like winter that I want! Today is that kind of winter.. I know I live in the wrong part of the world to get this every year, but it makes even smaller events special. 

ALSO, great to see you pop in here some and comment! I learned so much from you over the last several years!! You may have thought from a productive side of things this was all a waste, but for weenies on this board, your knowledge and input were invaluable and I thank you very much! That probably did not help your paycheck, or maybe even relationships since this was such a time suck.. but thank you for pouring it into this board! 

• Like 7

Getting more impressive every run. Cross-polar flow and quick moving disturbances.  

Depending on whether we can put down some snow cover will determine if we have a wintery landscape to go along with the frigid temperatures.  Any snow cover would certainly  enhance even lower temperatures. 

1139165332_gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65(1).thumb.png.e5960e24e6ce2d148b9f8399c246f6f6.png.09a3fa7c5cee590e1fc40b55feb849d1.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

JB is obviously all over the rest of this month but thinks a warm up is in store for February.  I'd be ok with that.  

We could all be above climo (with some luck) in the next 2 weeks. If that were to happen, I’m just eyeing February up as a gravy month. ;)

14 minutes ago, Scraff said:

We could all be above climo (with some luck) in the next 2 weeks. If that were to happen, I’m just eyeing February up as a gravy month. ;)

Just given how time periods usually line up, if we score a couple times between now and the end of the month, I can absolutely imagine a situation in which events would be hard to come by in much of February. I wouldn't give up at that point, though, as I could then see things lining up once more for a couple weeks as February turns to March.

10 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Where did all of our model snow go? Clockwise from upper left (18 UT yesterday, 00 UT today, 06 UT today, 12 UT today)  Through 12 UT next Friday; GFS

IMG_2371.JPG

Are we looking at the same weather model? The 12z GFS is a dream in the extended. All of that snow predicted on the first two frames fell yesterday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chris21 said:

Are we looking at the same weather model? The 12z GFS is a dream in the extended. All of that snow predicted on the first two frames fell yesterday.

Good point - bad post by me.  Why is the 12z GFS a dream in the extended?  Verbatim, most of our area gets ~1" of snow during the next 384 hours.  I assume you like the upper air pattern etc. 

4 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Good point - bad post by me.  Why is the 12z GFS a dream in the extended?  Verbatim, most of our area gets ~1" of snow during the next 384 hours.  I assume you like the upper air pattern etc. 

again, I’m not sure you’re looking at the latest 12z GFS run. I see far more than an inch accumulated in the next 384 hours and no fewer than three distinct threats with cold air entrenched essentially throughout the run. 

9 minutes ago, chris21 said:

again, I’m not sure you’re looking at the latest 12z GFS run. I see far more than an inch accumulated in the next 384 hours and no fewer than three distinct threats with cold air entrenched essentially throughout the run. 

This Sunday, next Friday timeframe and again around the 18th and 21st

36 minutes ago, Ji said:

dang man...why did the run have to end?

gem_z500_vort_us_41.png

It doesn’t matter because it’s day 10 and whatever it showed you can’t take it exactly as is so that’s good enough.  But we know how it was heading. That trough digging about to go neutral over the miss valley as the system in New England departs leaving room to amplify up the coast and  fresh arctic cold in place with the rain snow line in Georgia to start as the WAA gets going. It was going to end well. Use your imagination how well. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 8

15 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

1. Don't concern yourself with snowfall maps
  2. The snowfall map (at least on TT) isn't yet out to 384
  3. The pattern is fantastic. Look at that first and foremost and let the chips fall. There's reason to be excited (tempered excitement, of course) by it.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:
  1. Don't concern yourself with snowfall maps
  2. The snowfall map (at least on TT) isn't yet out to 384
  3. The pattern is fantastic. Look at that first and foremost and let the chips fall. There's reason to be excited (tempered excitement, of course) by it.

80644EF7-3BB4-4FC1-93D9-487F505856EA.png

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You don’t think that would just slide off the coast?

38 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes.  That was a beautiful evolution to what would have been a major east coast storm.  Can see the two separate shortwaves out west here 24hours before that map posted above:

gem_z500_vort_us_37.thumb.png.d4543f00659075b8c645b11918d60e4c.png

What he said!   If you just look at the NS over New England and how far south the baroclinic boundary is you might think so but the NS and SS are phasing and the trough is digging pretty far west, about to go neutral near the Miss River and the flow is relaxing ahead of it. My guess is that leads to an absolute bomb up the east coast.  Probably a very high impact and large expansive storm due to a deep STJ moisture fetch aided by the warm gulf then the Atlantic and used to maximum impact by a fully mature phased cyclone. That’s the kind of storm with a huge win zone between the high ratio powder on the NW side to the high qpfs closer to the boundary and the fact that even places that might change to ice/rain north of NC had to go through a long period of WAA precip first. The kind of storm we aren’t having to worry about sharp edges and exactly where a band sets up to eek out a few inches. 

Alas it’s a day 10 op run so enjoy it and imagine living the dream then move on. @WxUSAF feel free to correct me but that was my impression of where that was headed.  

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic