Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

37 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will be interesting to see how close to +10 the Southern Plains finishes this month.

9F4914D5-556B-4367-A056-8DF32D13D9F7.thumb.png.06b4bd39e68f2ddace6ca51820e820fb.png

A9391046-0AD8-4F1D-961E-E9043566555D.thumb.png.bfaa823428cd8580f829eaa2e33daa0d.png

The latest GEFS maps illustrate the need for patience. Some colder air could begin to spill into the region as December concludes, but the odds remain against a full-fledged Arctic blast. The magnitude and duration of a possible cold period in January remains uncertain. It remains possible that the severe cold in Alaska and western Canada may largely avoid the region.

• Like 4

54F Beautiful. If you could lower the taxes it would be like living in the Carolinas. Still in shorts and a T.

I find it interesting that we’re not even in the warmest departures across the nation. I guess it could have been worse thus far.

Also of note, as I was flying over fly over country the past two days, There isn’t much snow anywhere… But if you’re going skiing in the Salt Lake City area Utah has been getting a good amount. That area and the eastern California are the only areas of snow cover observed

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

54F Beautiful. If you could lower the taxes it would be like living in the Carolinas. Still in shorts and a T.

I find it interesting that we’re not even in the warmest departures across the nation. I guess it could have been worse thus far.

Also of note, as I was flying over fly over country the past two days, There isn’t much snow anywhere… But if you’re going skiing in the Salt Lake City area Utah has been getting a good amount. That area and the eastern California are the only areas of snow cover observed

this weather, in the context of everything happening across the US( drought, tornados,) is really nothing to be nonchalant about.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The latest GEFS maps illustrate the need for patience. Some colder air could begin to spill into the region as December concludes, but the odds remain against a full-fledged Arctic blast. The magnitude and duration of a possible cold period in January remains uncertain. It remains possible that the severe cold in Alaska and western Canada may largely avoid the region.

This is turning out to be one of our longest stretches without a -10 or lower departure.  The last -10 or lower day in NYC was July 3rd. We would probably need more ridging out West for some of that -10 or colder Arctic cold in Western Canada to spill east.  With the trough in the West, we could probably expect single digit negatives behind the cold fronts.

Data for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Date
Avg Temperature Departure 
2021-07-03 -14.1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

I try to simplify it to make it easier to understand. -PNA with the current wavelengths equals overpowering Pacific Jet. This fast Pacific flow results in a group of storm tracks. It has been record dry here since early November. The primary storm tracks have been cutter, hugger, and southern stream suppression. The cutting storms haven’t had much moisture since the flow has been so fast. Hugging storms haven’t had time to amplify so they haven’t given us much rain also. The southern stream gets suppressed due to the overpowering Northern Jet.

The -NAO going negative presents its own set of challenges when  we have a -PNA unless we get March wavelengths. The flow is still fast so storms stay weak. Over-amplified  storms can still cut with - NAO since -PNA will pump  the SE Ridge. Weaker storms due to the fast Pacific flow can get sheared out. Sometimes we get too much confluence near New England and the moisture goes south. So we really need to thread the needle. The hope is that one of these overrunning events before the month is out can take a Goldilocks -I-78 overrunning frozen zone. But you can see how models have this track one run and lose it the next run. The fast Pacific Jet creates challenges for this track. 

A +PNA is good since it causes the fast Pacific Jet to buckle opening the door for more interesting winter storm types. 

I told someone yesterday this is about the ideal snow storm you're gonna get in this pattern...NYC got 5-7 inches with this.  The -NAO was fake here as it was basically a bootleg -NAO as a result of a low that bombed offshore a day or two prior, otherwise this wave probably would not have sheared or dampened and cut north.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1989/us0106.php

35 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The question then becomes the MJO….is it really just moving super slow or is something else at cause: 

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

The question then becomes the MJO….is it really just moving super slow or is something else at cause: 

Its also questionable how much the MJO influences things anyway...many mets claim unless its in a highly strong amplitude it likely has way less influence than we think it does and its more like cold SSTs/caused by/a result of the ridge or trof not the cause of the ridge or trof.   Joe D'Aleo did a writeup in spring 2002 showing that despite a raging MJO in phase 3-4-5 all of the 01-02 winter the ultimate PV strength would have resulted in probably the same pattern if the MJO was a in 8-1-2 all winter.

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

MJO forecasts beyond day 7 are not very skillful. The SSTAs suggest caution—and the SSTAs, not Rai may be more responsible for the ongoing evolution of the MJO.

A push into Phase 8 is not a foregone conclusion. The MJO could well fall into low amplitudes only to re-emerge at a higher amplitude in a warmer phase. Thus, it’s plausible that any colder pattern could fall apart after about 2 weeks (mid-January?). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

You of all people get a bird's eye view of all of this. The record heat out west is pretty crazy!

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I told someone yesterday this is about the ideal snow storm you're gonna get in this pattern...NYC got 5-7 inches with this.  The -NAO was fake here as it was basically a bootleg -NAO as a result of a low that bombed offshore a day or two prior, otherwise this wave probably would not have sheared or dampened and cut north.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1989/us0106.php

The +PNA rise and the 11° Arctic cold In NYC right before the storm made it possible. 

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1989/us0104.php#picture

1989-01-04 29 11 20.0 -14.7 45 0 T T 0
1989-01-05 26 11 18.5 -16.0 46 0 0.00 0.0 0
1989-01-06 26 21 23.5 -10.9 41 0 0.43 5.0 T

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I know no one wants to hear this, but there’s a chance it doesn’t propagate into phases 8, 1 and either dies out or loops back into 6. I remember a winter not that long ago where the models kept plowing the MJO into phase 8, 1 from November until March and it didn’t happen once, it kept dying in 7 and never advanced….

Did someone hit you with a snowball when you were younger? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15
  • Sad 1

I see a lot of assumptions about the MJO on the EPS using the RMM charts. It was not dying out on the 00z run. Use those at your own risk. It's modeled to start pushing east, slowly, starting on the 21st. That date has been solid for some time now. There have been no changes there. We'll see what happens, just need to keep watching trends. I see no cause for concern yet. 

• Like 3