Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

28 minutes ago, North and West said:

Is there a cheat sheet available for the regular folk among us for what all of these terms mean? (e.g., MJO, what does it spell out, one sentence descriptor)

giphy.gif

We have so many of these indices and indicators that it seems like a zoo of nonsense now.  This is like where chemistry was before there was a periodic table or particle physics was before we knew about quarks.  All of this needs to be reduced to 3 or 4 primary indicators, I'm sure the rest just emerge from the basic 3 or 4, and use the primary ones to predict everything.  It's like with these weather models there are way too many of them, just shut down the worst performing ones and go with the 3-4 best ones.

• Like 1

We have so many of these indices and indicators that it seems like a zoo of nonsense now.  This is like where chemistry was before there was a periodic table or particle physics was before we knew about quarks.  All of this needs to be reduced to 3 or 4 primary indicators, I'm sure the rest just emerge from the basic 3 or 4, and use the primary ones to predict everything.  It's like with these weather models there are way too many of them, just shut down the worst performing ones and go with the 3-4 best ones.

Thanks. I mean this as a hobbyist (some of my best friends are meteorologists! No, really)… half of this stuff sounds like it cancels out the other… MJO or PNA is good but then bad some days when it’s coupled with La Niña or El Niño… (I’m making that up, but I can’t keep up with when it’s good or bad)

For instance, I love baseball, but lay people don’t understand OPS or WAR. We need to dumb it down for the simple folk like yours truly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Good point.

The next 8 days are averaging  40degs.(35/45), or +5>>>+2 nowadays.

Reached 61 here yesterday.

Today:  58-60 early-then falling, wind w. to n. and breezy.   Cloudy by evening.   Down to 42 by tomorrow AM.

GFS cold with massive snowstorm 27th-30th.    Hope Sanit. is still functional then, due to u know what.

1639720800-XcN50LTYWTg.png

57*(55%RH) here at 6am/7am.{was 58* at Midnite and briefly 56* at 6:30am.}     58* at Noon.       60* at 2:30pm.       54* at 6pm.      50* at 9pm.

Morning thoughts…

Today will be partly cloudy and very mild. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 50s and perhaps lower 60s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 59°

Newark: 60°

Philadelphia: 60°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 43.8°; 15-Year: 44.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 44.3°; 15-Year: 45.2°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 45.5°; 15-Year: 46.5°

The unseasonably mild weather will continue into the start of the weekend.

This was our 5th warmest first half of December on record. 7 out of the top 10 warmest years have occurred since the late 90s. It’s a reflection of how December is one of our fastest warming winter months.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Mean Avg Temperature Dec 1 to Dec 16
Missing Count
1 2015-12-16 51.8 0
2 2001-12-16 50.4 0
3 1998-12-16 50.3 0
4 1953-12-16 46.4 0
5 2021-12-16 46.2 0
6 2011-12-16 45.3 0
7 2012-12-16 45.0 0
8 1999-12-16 44.7 0
- 1891-12-16 44.7 0
9 1951-12-16 44.6 2
10 1879-12-16 44.5 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I try to simplify it to make it easier to understand. -PNA with the current wavelengths equals overpowering Pacific Jet. This fast Pacific flow results in a group of storm tracks. It has been record dry here since early November. The primary storm tracks have been cutter, hugger, and southern stream suppression. The cutting storms haven’t had much moisture since the flow has been so fast. Hugging storms haven’t had time to amplify so they haven’t given us much rain also. The southern stream gets suppressed due to the overpowering Northern Jet.

The -NAO going negative presents its own set of challenges when  we have a -PNA unless we get March wavelengths. The flow is still fast so storms stay weak. Over-amplified  storms can still cut with - NAO since -PNA will pump  the SE Ridge. The storm going to our north tomorrow with the -NAO is an example of this. Weaker storms due to the fast Pacific flow can get sheared out. Sometimes we get too much confluence near New England and the moisture goes south. So we really need to thread the needle. The hope is that one of these overrunning events before the month is out can take a Goldilocks -I-78 overrunning frozen zone. But you can see how models have this track one run and lose it the next run. The fast Pacific Jet creates challenges for this track. 

A +PNA is good since it causes the fast Pacific Jet to buckle opening the door for more interesting winter storm types. 

That +PNA fantasy in the long range yesterday didn’t take long to disappear as expected. Back to deep -PNA as far as the eye can see…..

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 4

16 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That +PNA fantasy in the long range yesterday didn’t take long to disappear as expected. Back to deep -PNA as far as the eye can see…..

There are a few things here. None of the models have been showing what we think of as a traditional +PNA at any time within the effective 2 week period. We had a few attempts to boost heights near California near the end of those 15 day runs. But that keeps getting pushed back. Yesterdays extended runs beyond day 15 had this hint of rising heights near California. But this is beyond the effective range. Speculation then turned to why models were showing these height rises. The MJO going into phase 7 with +AAM was one possibility. I think we all know that any model runs beyond day 15 are fickle. Plus any MJO related effect could be short lived after the MJO wave weakens. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The latest extended GEFS runs may set the record for longest MJO phase 7 this  time of year. It’s still holding the convection east Australia right into January. Very extreme marine heatwave in those areas.

9C819B2E-C9B3-480E-86FC-9B90A0D6B2A4.thumb.png.6a3a4724f321f8e01f1a1d0026d48192.png
4F19A42C-0A1E-404A-8F14-995CFE55A207.thumb.png.01f1bd67ee693c67608b8d81f9dbf186.png

Good news for us as phase 7 is decent for smaller events. Will be interesting to see how long this stays in 8 if at all.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The latest extended GEFS runs may set the record for longest MJO phase 7 this  time of year. It’s still holding the convection east Australia right into January. Very extreme marine heatwave in those areas.

9C819B2E-C9B3-480E-86FC-9B90A0D6B2A4.thumb.png.6a3a4724f321f8e01f1a1d0026d48192.png
4F19A42C-0A1E-404A-8F14-995CFE55A207.thumb.png.01f1bd67ee693c67608b8d81f9dbf186.png

I know no one wants to hear this, but there’s a chance it doesn’t propagate into phases 8, 1 and either dies out or loops back into 6. I remember a winter not that long ago where the models kept plowing the MJO into phase 8, 1 from November until March and it didn’t happen once, it kept dying in 7 and never advanced….

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I know no one wants to hear this, but there’s a chance it doesn’t propagate into phases 8, 1 and either dies out or loops back into 6. I remember a winter not that long ago where the models kept plowing the MJO into phase 8, 1 from November until March and it didn’t happen once, it kept dying in 7 and never advanced….

The typhoon is messing around with the MJO. Latest GEFS takes it into 8 but 7 isn't bad in January .

Screenshot_20211217-080156_Chrome.jpg

Just now, bluewave said:

This was one of the best papers to come out in recent years.

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The typhoon is messing around with the MJO. Latest GEFS takes it into 8 but 7 isn't bad in January .

Screenshot_20211217-080156_Chrome.jpg

I will take extended phase 7 all day. Cooler temps and minor snow events.