Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The model strength of the ULL and how far it digs down and also strength intensity. I think if the storm is stronger it may help it get tugged west due to the mid and upper level flow helping to steer the storm along path of least resistance. 

That's exactly what I was thinking Scott yeah. 

I mean they're adding 5 mph to get the hurricane sash on this thing - okay.  But I almost wonder if that's more ( you know ) part of the NHC's PR jolt to a distracted thankless population that doesn't deserve their service...  

Seriously though, the so-so look at satellite: it is an interesting coincidence with some guidance trending back E. Internal monologue was thinking that may be because it is shallower and so not as deeply/fully integrated into the U/A circulation. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's exactly what I was thinking Scott yeah. 

I mean they're adding 5 mph to get the hurricane sash on this thing - okay.  But I almost wonder if that's more ( you know ) part of the NHC's PR jolt to a distracted thankless population that doesn't deserve their service...  

Seriously though, the so-so look at satellite: it is an interesting coincidence with some guidance trending back E. Internal monologue was thinking that may be because it is shallower and so not as deeply/fully integrated into the U/A circulation. 

There's total distrust of everyone and everything now.  If it was someone's or some groups plan to seed so much doubt into the population that they've brainwashed them into not believing anything, then they've succeeded.  Even at a high end tropical storm there's gonna be people surprised about the damage caused...

• Like 1

A simple garden variety "winter" Noreaster has more impact then Henri will have.
I'm not buying the hype.
If you don't experience the above roar of the wind whistle is it really a hurricane?
The whistle to the wind is scary because you don't even hear the trees crashing all around.
Collapsing thunderstorms around here have more punch.
A CT/RI landfall. Still thinking flooding will be the headliner.

• Thanks 1

BOX 10AM AFD:

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM SUNDAY/...
Henri is expected to move into southern New England at some
point late tonight into Sunday. Still expecting the axis of
heaviest rainfall to be just west of the track. The strongest
winds and surge will be to the east of the track. Still plenty
of uncertainty regarding the exact track and timing, as
evidenced by the slight eastward jog in the 00Z guidance.
Probabilities favor a track somewhere between eastern Long
Island and Block Island, before reaching the south coast of New
England.

Expecting rainfall chances to increase this evening, and should
be going in earnest after midnight tonight into Sunday. Lots of
factors leading to torrential rainfall rates; such as very high
precipitable water values and a deep layer of warm rain
processes. The big question is where will the heaviest rain
occur? This is again tied into the uncertainty in the track of
henri. Issued a Flood watch where we are most concerned for
heavy rainfall and possible flooding.

Based on the latest forecast, we expanded a Tropical Storm
Warning into northern CT for a period of low-end tropical storm
force winds. May need to consider further adjustments with
later forecasts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

This was last year's track model verification for those curious. Gfs outperformed the euro at most lead times. 

Screenshot_20210821-123326_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

It was the best track model from 36-72 overall last season per NHC verification. 

@CoastalWx I'm a little west of you on LF. Still thinking New Haven to Westerly but closer to the right side of that zone. 

3 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

A simple garden variety "winter" Noreaster has more impact then Henri will have.
I'm not buying the hype.
If you don't experience the above roar of the wind whistle is it really a hurricane?
The whistle to the wind is scary because you don't even hear the trees crashing all around.

Leaves…lots of rain this summer. There could be issues

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's comical how each forecasting source/geography is taking ownership of the track guidance.  It's making me actually giggle.  It's as though advertising the exciting strike zone as better in our store, competing for ratings has turned weather events into that faux panache of marketing tricks.

All these offices ( media ) have software and skill to formulate their own graphics these days ... so, they plug the ensemble member into the graphics engine that is the most dystopian excitement for their own ratings?

That's what it comes off as.  I have not seen a concensus that supports that far West, and nothing about now cast evinces that as the most likely either.  Possible, sure ..  All there is, is a couple ensemble members from whichever lusty appeal doing that.

The problem is a sociological one.  Media has come to an understanding that there are no penalties for false impressions - the forgetfulness of feckless society becomes a marvelous buffer.  However, there is huge huge pay-back dividends for getting it right if they roll dice on a scenario and it happens to come true.  It's like all of corporate media engages in Bastardiism

100%

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

I'm not buying the hype.

Yeah, but the archaic power grid in CT bows to 35-40 mph gusts. We have lost power 3 times this summer to much less than a classic nor easter as far as winds go. 

It's vulnerable locations and businesses and places of residence for certain people that will be the issue, regardless of what sound is heard above.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

There's total distrust of everyone and everything now.  If it was someone's or some groups plan to seed so much doubt into the population that they've brainwashed them into not believing anything, then they've succeeded.  Even at a high end tropical storm there's gonna be people surprised about the damage caused...

the best one I saw today was the News station here on LI showing the 06z nam wind speeds and track.  I mean is that deliberate to get ratings and wows or was it purely the meteorologist not knowing you never should use the NAM for tropicals or use what was the notable outlier for a model cycle but that just made me boil because I got like 5 phone calls afterwards from people in NYC thinking they’d see 60mph gusts 

6 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

I'm not buying the hype.

While I agree, I think many are down playing the current wet soil conditions In many places, and you won’t need big winds to bring down some trees

• Like 1

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic