Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discobs 2021

George BM

21 minutes ago, mappy said:

made it up to 89 yesterday IMBY. Is the holiday weekend still looking wet? 

Yeah, still looks like periods of rain with maybe some embedded boomers. Rain amounts still TBD. Euro has backed off the epic deluge the last couple runs. 

Had a decent shower a bit ago but hoping for more to get this pollen washed out.

We won't get out of the 60s today but DCA was 80 just after midnight so that goes in the books as the very misleading "high" for the date.  DCA got to 94 yesterday :o

I feel for people that planned beach or pool parties this coming weekend with showers and highs upper 60s/low 70s, but that's what you get living in this area.  

Currently 72, with a light though steady rain for the past 40 minutes. That crunchy, brownish center strip down the middle of MBY will lap it up, though it looks like the back edge isn't too far west. Oh, and cicadas ALL over the back patios...just when I think there can't be more than the day before, more show up. And they apparently take no issue with sitting out in the rain...though I'm curious to see if they'll start chorusing this morning during the rain.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, still looks like periods of rain with maybe some embedded boomers. Rain amounts still TBD. Euro has backed off the epic deluge the last couple runs. 

Thanks -- periods of rain are better than a washout all weekend. 

31 minutes ago, mappy said:

Thanks -- periods of rain are better than a washout all weekend. 

Agreed. I remember more washed-out (or mostly so) Memorial Day weekends around here than ones with nice/acceptable wx over the past couple of decades. We rarely host holiday parties during that weekend because we/our friends are traveling, but this year we've scheduled two cookouts next weekend. Needless to say, we're watching the forecast like hawks.   :) 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

And then randomly it turned back on at 945pm and started blowing cold air. So I have no idea. 

Light rain here now. Whopping 0.04” in the bucket so far.

Def want to get that checked out.  Charge could be low causing it to ice up.  A clogged evaporator/filter can do this (or otherwise low airflow across evaporator coil).  Systems that get low on charge are LEAKING, however and that should always be properly addressed.

First time running AC for us.  Prerequisite is usually DP of 70F or higher.  We didn't get there but the pollen in the house was so bad my sinuses couldn't take it any more!  Even though we got a few hundredths (TEMPEST shows 0.07 and the Young tipper recorded 0.04) it did help.  Windows open, whole house fan ON, feels so much better like a pesky splinter that's been removed.  Would like to see a nice quarter to half inch though over a few hours to wash the pea soup out of the gutters.

20 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Agreed. I remember more washed-out (or mostly so) Memorial Day weekends around here than ones with nice/acceptable wx over the past couple of decades. We rarely host holiday parties during that weekend because we/our friends are traveling, but this year we've scheduled two cookouts next weekend. Needless to say, we're watching the forecast like hawks.   :) 

Well thank you for your sacrifice and I know what I am forecasting … RAIN.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

And then randomly it turned back on at 945pm and started blowing cold air. So I have no idea.

Did you check the unit outside to see if there was something blocking the fan?  I had a stick wedged in mine one year that messed it up.  Also, if it has a condensate pump, you may want to check that.  If it gets clogged (or isn't plugged in...yeah, I've done that), it will shut down the unit.

If it keeps acting up and you have trouble getting someone out there in a reasonable time frame, I have a reliable and very fair HVAC guy.  If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll pass along his information.

Thread related, getting a nice shower in Ellicott City now, and I'm hoping that the stuff behind it stays together to give home a good soaking.

Thanks @Stormfly and @nw baltimore wx for the advice. Definitely still going to get someone out to look at it. System was installed by BGE Home before we bought the house and the parts are still under warranty so that’s who I made an appointment with. Although it’s in 2 weeks. There’s nothing blocking the blades in the heat pump and that all looks ok to my very amateur eye. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

About 0.50” on the day.  59 and dreary.  Fine for a Monday.  

27 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

0.77” of rain, cool temps, pollen washed away, a calm cloudy day—i approve.

.6" of much needed precip here so far today -- we've had a light, steady rain for the past two hours. And yeah, SO nice to have at least some of the pollen washed away, my allergies were killing me again the past two days. We have several windows open right now to let some fresh air in.

I did miss the soothing mass chorus of cicada song today. I didn't know if prolonged rain had an effect on their song...but apparently it does (?)

22 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

During the weeks of perfect weather (and 10-hour workdays) I just knew in my heart that this pattern was never, *never* going to last through the holidays. Not being blessed with a location west of the Rockies, we just have to resign ourselves to rain ruining more than half of our summer holiday weekends.

I fully expect July 4 to feature either an all-day rain like 2004, or severe thunderstorms ruining the fireworks.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic