wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Post Christmas storm threat is still vey real

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have out to 60 on NCEP but for those that have it further out does it start trying to dig the trough more by 66 HR or even 72 HR? I was thinking it's possible given the closed 500mb look over the OV which could help try to dig the trough more with nice jet stream rounding down the trough. Plus with the better amplified look along rhe EC.

I only have out to 60 on NCEP but for those that have it further out does it start trying to dig the trough more by 66 HR or even 72 HR? I was thinking it's possible given the closed 500mb look over the OV which could help try to dig the trough more with nice jet stream rounding down the trough. Plus with the better amplified look along rhe EC.

The backside energy in the N. Stream near Manitoba/Hudson Bay is too slow on the 18z NAM to interact with the trough; this has been the main trend on the models that has killed the storm. You need the potent northern stream to arrive from Canada in order to make the trough go negative and sling the surface low back towards the coast. You can see that the piece of energy is too far away from the main storm to do this.

Do the Euro ens have any big clustering to the west of the mean...or is it just a few outliers causing the jump NW?

I think the biggest difference was just ahead of the trough. There were a lot of members that had ridging over sne at hr 60. By ridging I mean pumped heights...higher than the op had. I think this was where the difference was and what causes the low to track close to or a hair nw of the op. There were still some clustering on the east by hr 72, but I think that ridging made the difference.

I think the biggest difference was just ahead of the trough. There were a lot of members that had ridging over sne at hr 60. By ridging I mean pumped heights...higher than the op had. I think this was where the difference was and what causes the low to track close to or a hair nw of the op. There were still some clustering on the east by hr 72, but I think that ridging made the difference.

I was just wondering since Brian had said that there were a couple big thumpers for interior locales..

The backside energy in the N. Stream near Manitoba/Hudson Bay is too slow on the 18z NAM to interact with the trough; this has been the main trend on the models that has killed the storm. You need the potent northern stream to arrive from Canada in order to make the trough go negative and sling the surface low back towards the coast. You can see that the piece of energy is too far away from the main storm to do this.

So that area of stronger energy you have circled...you want to see that be much further south than where it's modeled?

So that area of stronger energy you have circled...you want to see that be much further south than where it's modeled?

I think so...we need that piece of energy to be faster and the initial southern stream trough to be a bit slower so they can phase earlier in the game. I think one reason the ECM had so many big hits was because its bias towards slowing down the southern stream allowed the more potent northern stream energy to catch up in time and cause the trough to acquire negative tilt. This doesn't seem to be happening anymore because the southern stream is moving too fast off the coast while the main energy for our coastal is stuck in Manitoba.

. . . It's official, I've never met such a bi-polar group in my life.

Can some one please hand back my sanity. I think I dropped it somewhere between model runs.

Here's the sanity:

If we had to pick a center point for the track of the low it would be about the benchmark or just SE at this point in time. Forget the euro stalled low near Virginia Beach, the GGEM wrap into LI and the NOGAPs hitting the flemish cap. That's likely where this is heading plus or minus 75 miles.

Well I'm encouraged by the fact that the GFS/ECMWF ensembles still show a decent hit.

I usually use a rule of thumb that when those two agree with each other inside of 96 hours, its the best way to go...they very rarely lose when they are together in this time frame....which certainly gives me more confidence that ENE is under the gun.

Given how convoluted this setup has become, still wise to excersise caution in both directions, but it seems as though they are narrowing into a zone just barely outside of the BM.

I don't see the spag plots like Scott. All I said was that 84-90 had QPF throw back more into the interior than the OP so I assumed a few were decent for the interior.

Well that would make sense. A low that tracks over the BM typically throws decent snows well NW into Central New Eng..and many times ENY

Archived