Total Members
    Most Online
    Duke Of Lizards
    Newest Member
    Duke Of Lizards
Spring Banter

4 hours ago, amarshall said:

I love reading the covid threads. 

We are in bizarro world now.  We've stopped listening to science.  Restaurants still can't have menus (place I went last night).  Towns won't open up swap areas at the dump (duxbury) . We're still wearing masks outdoors.    

We're going to create a superbug from all of the incessant hand washing (my wife).  There is zero need for hand washing stations at a youth soccer field. 

I love this thread

How many folks have alligator skin Or hands with the consistency of a cat tongue  from putting on hand sanitizer every 15 minutes 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Whineminster laughed at this but can't provide any links to people saying we have to wait until the entire world reaches herd immunity before masks no longer have to be worn.  I know there are some always some fringe people who may say that but I haven't seen any legitimate health authority say this. 

I mean why Would they say this , even if it was a possibility? By asking this it would seem someone  is naive to not understand the backlash that would present itself and undermine their whole purpose .

Health authorities are very careful when they communicate messages to the public . Their first Concern is getting the public to CHANGE behavior to something desired quickly .

THAT is why they said 2 weeks to flatten the curve, that would lead to the least resistance . It’s much easier and proven to keep moving goal posts . Some get this or don’t . 

Yes ..this line of thinking May open itself to “crazy” talk but “two weeks to flatten the curve “ was never even meant to be two weeks ...it was meant to be a message to initiate what health authorities deemed a needed and desired change in behavior that would be adopted by most .

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I mean why Would they say this , even if it was a possibility? By asking this it would seem someone  is naive to not understand the backlash that would present itself and undermine their whole purpose .

Health authorities are very careful when they communicate messages to the public . Their first Concern is getting the public to CHANGE behavior to something desired quickly .

THAT is why they said 2 weeks to flatten the curve, that would lead to the least resistance . It’s much easier and proven to keep moving goal posts . Some get this or don’t . 

Yes ..this line of thinking May open itself to “crazy” talk but “two weeks to flatten the curve “ was never even meant to be two weeks ...it was meant to be a message to initiate a needed and desired change in behavior that would be adopted by most .

The public messaging on the rationale for why people should get the vaccine has been terrible. 

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I love this thread

How many folks have alligator skin Or hands with the consistency of a cat tongue  from putting on hand sanitizer every 15 minutes 

I've only put sanitizer on after pumping gas or leaving Hannaford (since it's right in your face when you leave). Other than that I'm sani free.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

i think a little sickness is a good thing. we need to be able to live with these viruses and build some immunity against them...kinda evolve together. there's a reason why the native americans were hit hard when the europeans came over. maybe the future is eliminating most viruses and updating your body's vaccine software every fall, but until then the occasional test for your immune system isn't a bad thing.

it's like the people who bathe in antibacterial everything. bacteria doesn't have to be a bad thing. we need good bacteria to thrive.

We already do this though. There's still plenty of other viruses and bacteria that we are exposed to and live with on a regular basis. You'd literally have to live in a bubble to not develop proper immunity from exposure. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The public messaging on the rationale for why people should get the vaccine has been terrible. 

Do you think most experts really respect the average persons ability to Do what they are told if given a honest appraisal . In any setting or industry? People are generally morons .

Peoples opinions are easily shaped and molded and this has been near perfected over time .

Public  Messages for almost anything are designed to change behavior to that which is desired and to create less resistance . Experts believe they know  better and that they are protecting the public and the greater good . They aren’t going to let the public’s intelligence or lack there of or ...dissent toward a truthful acknowledgement of what all the motovation$$ are  lead to  a less dramatic and more straightforward message That could lead to a weaker result when it comes to desired changes , opinions etc

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Do you think most experts really respect the average persons ability to Do what they are told if given a honest appraisal . In any setting or industry? People are generally morons .

Peoples opinions are easily shaped and molded and this has been near perfected over time .

Public  Messages for almost anything are designed to change behavior to that which is desired and to create less resistance . Experts believe they no better and that they are protecting the public and the greater good . They aren’t going to let the public’s stupidity get of interpreting a less dramatic and truthful message lead to a weaker result when it comes to desired changes , opinions etc

From what I can find in a google search (and I don't remember) the only articles specifically mentioning "2 weeks to flatten the curve" where from Trump and the Surgeon General. I remember others suggesting that this was going to be more of a slog than that. The second idea always kinda seemed more realistic to me. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

We already do this though. There's still plenty of other viruses and bacteria that we are exposed to and live with on a regular basis. You'd literally have to live in a bubble to not develop proper immunity from exposure. 

It was all hypothetical anyway. Mike’s talking about never getting sick and avoiding viruses completely. Obviously with what we’ve been doing for the past year with masks isn’t enough to completely stop transmission. 

Just now, dendrite said:

It was all hypothetical anyway. Mike’s talking about never getting sick and avoiding viruses completely. Obviously with what we’ve been doing for the past year with masks isn’t enough to completely stop transmission. 

yeah for sure. I was kinda pushing against the idea our immune systems can't work or something because of masks and/or distancing. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I stopped using hand sanitizer regularly very early on. It seemed like late spring/early summer it was rather obvious fomite transmission was super low. 

I'm in the same boat for the exact same reasoning. During the early stages of it I was using it likely crazy...then I think like late summer I just stopped...especially since alot of the stuff I found to be using was alcohol based. Was worried my hands would become as dry as the Sahara. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

i hardly ever do anymore.. I carry some in my car and used it before pandemic, 

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've only put sanitizer on after pumping gas or leaving Hannaford (since it's right in your face when you leave). Other than that I'm sani free.

It feels like we've known for awhile it spreads through droplets in the air. I haven't taken sanitizer seriously in almost a year. Contact with surfaces doesn't seem highly probable. 

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

real estate market is insane right now, was looking at some places in FL and they have almost doubled since last summer. Really not worth buying right, but selling...

Somethings gotta give here. The lumber prices are at 1400. That's more than double, I think closer to triple April 2020 prices. 

1 minute ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Somethings gotta give here. The lumber prices are at 1400. That's more than double, I think closer to triple April 2020 prices. 

yes, supply chain in my business is stretched thin, most are either raising prices 25% + or extending LT out to next year, basically if you pay more you get it sooner, like an added expediting fee except is not a separate line item.  Steel, non-woven, chemicals,  specialty items used in chips manufacturing are hardest hit

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

real estate market is insane right now, was looking at some places in FL and they have almost doubled since last summer. Really not worth buying right, but selling...

my parents are on the east side of Naples-bought 4 yrs ago, their place has gone up 50% in value.

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Same thing in N TX and in many other places (except here in Burptown).   It's out of control how much real estate has gone up.  Sell now, rent a storage unit for your most valuable stuff, and live in a van down by the river til we correct.

• Like 1

The historic relationship between incomes and house values is getting a bit stretched again. 

Perhaps the Fed is helping the ole household balance sheet and the wealth effect By buying billions of mortgage backed securities every month.  (Not a bad thing but maybe send Jerome Powell a Xmas card )