Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

One of the things that has always annoyed me about weed advocates is that they rarely, if ever, mention any of the negatives.  For example, it can't be all that healthy purposely inhaling burning material into your lungs.  Does it have the chemicals that tobacco has ? No but it is still burning a plant matter and putting that smoke into you.  It wouldn't surprise me if over time as pot becomes legal across the country, big business starts to work it's way in and start treating like tobacco.  Having said that, I realize that there are many positive properties in both the CBD and THC sides that make edibles and tinctures desirable for many and you can't argue that the societal effects are anywhere near what they are with alcohol. 

I'm not anti-pot.  I know about edibles and I also know there are benefits inherent with pot not available with alcohol.  My argument is simply with the smoking of it.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

One of the things that has always annoyed me about weed advocates is that they rarely, if ever, mention any of the negatives.  For example, it can't be all that healthy purposely inhaling burning material into your lungs.  Does it have the chemicals that tobacco has ? No but it is still burning a plant matter and putting that smoke into you.  It wouldn't surprise me if over time as pot becomes legal across the country, big business starts to work it's way in and start treating like tobacco.  Having said that, I realize that there are many positive properties in both the CBD and THC sides that make edibles and tinctures desirable for many and you can't argue that the societal effects are anywhere near what they are with alcohol. 

Like anything, weed can be abused and cause issues in your life. If you find yourself always searching for the next source of weed, blowing off work and family engagements over weed, and feel compelled to smoke/ingest weed every day (and get irritable if you can't), then you have an issue.

It's kinda weird how some people seem to think it's impossible to get addicted to marijuana when trying to compare it to alcohol and other drugs. That doesn't even make any sense. People can get addicted to just about anything that causes even just a minor dopamine release. Of course addiction to marijuana is a thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Like anything, weed can be abused and cause issues in your life. If you find yourself always searching for the next source of weed, blowing off work and family engagements over weed, and feel compelled to smoke/ingest weed every day (and get irritable if you can't), then you have an issue.

It's kinda weird how some people seem to think it's impossible to get addicted to marijuana when trying to compare it to alcohol and other drugs. That doesn't even make any sense. People can get addicted to just about anything that causes even just a minor dopamine release. Of course addiction to marijuana is a thing.

Absolutely. You can get addicted to just about anything that brings a sense of pleasure. Weed, booze, meth, sugar, exercise, video games, smart phones, PCP etc.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Absolutely. You can get addicted to just about anything that brings a sense of pleasure. Weed, booze, meth, sugar, exercise, video games, smart phones, PCP etc.  

Yep, the list is extensive.

I don't have any issue with marijuana legalization myself. I also think people should be allowed to snort a line a coke if they want to as well, and then visit a prostitute. 

Just as long as they stay in control of themselves and don't harm others, I am good with it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Two good friends of mine and their 3 year old daughter got it in March 2020 at the very beginning of this. The kid was totally fine as was mom. The guy was really ill for 10 days and it probably took him a good 6 months to finally get over the lingering stuff. He went from running 6-8 miles a few days a week to not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. Pretty scary stuff for healthy people in their mid 30s.

Have my second Pfizer shot on Thursday. Can't wait to be done with all of this and see concerts, go to bars, and do all the stuff I've missed in the last year.

Interesting ... very similar story to a close friend of mine and his family when it swept through their household.

The mother and two children ( 5 and 7 ) resolved inside of short days with mild fevers, touch of nausea and sniffle and not much else.

The dad ( 53 ) couldn't eat or drink for 10 days, running a fever  100 to 103 much of the time.  Lost 25 lb... He later told me that he actually felt he was getting better; his fever broke around day six or so, and he had sent down a sleeve of saltines, along with ginger-ale and juice...etc.   But per the behest of his wive, he goes into a Med stop/ER because he was coughing and was also wobbling and winded on the stairs.  Turns out his blood oxygen level was dangerously low, so they hauled his ass into a gurney for a three day stint IV with a banana bag and oxy mask.  They opted not to intubate ... rather just the breathing mask pulled his levels up to so-so, then normal.  

He is a typical middle age American dad for body type and health now ... not quite as portly as Peter Griffin, just no longer sports the sinews of his down-hill competitive skiing and semi pro cycling days.  He goes from that last lift, to marital bliss - see what it got him?  Lol...  He's always had mild asthma, and does have an inhaler for emergencies but seldom ever needs to use it... Hard to say if that one factor - and there are/were no others leading... - could have caused all that systemic havoc, but it is what is. 

There are those that have comorbidity factors, contracted this thing ... walked away.  There are 6-8 mile running paragons of health that go through what these guys did.  So, it seems yes ...comorbid is, in itself, may contribute to severity, but perhaps there's other aspects that are just not known that may even be more important.  Maybe given time science will figure out an ah-ha factor. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Interesting ... very similar to a close friend of mine and his family when it swept through their household.

The mother and two children ( 5 and 7 ) resolved inside of short days with mild fevers, touch of nausea and sniffle and not much else.

The dad ( 53 ) couldn't eat or drink for 10 days, running a fever  100 to 103 much of the time.  Lost 25 lb... He later told me that he actually felt he was getting better; his fever broke around day six or so, and he had sent down a sleeve of saltines, along with ginger-ale and juice...etc.   But per the behest of his wive, he goes into a Med stop/ER because he was coughing and was also wobbling and winded on the stairs.  Turns out his blood oxygen level was dangerously low, so they hauled his ass into a gurney for a three day stint IV with a banana bag and oxy mask.  They opted not to intubate ... rather just the breathing mask pulled his levels up to so-so, then normal.  

He is a typical middle age American dad ... not quite as portly as Peter Griffin, but no longer sports the sinews of his down-hill competitive skiing and semi pro cycling.  He goes from the latter life, to marital bliss - see what it got him?  Lol...  He's always had mild asthma, and does have an inhaler for emergencies but seldom ever needs to use it... Hard to say if that one factor - and there are/were no others leading... - could have caused all that systemic havoc, but it is what is. 

There are those that have comorbidity factors, contracted this thing ... walked away.  There are 6-8 mile running paragons of health that go through what these guys did.  So, it seems yes ...comorbid is, in itself, may contribute to severity, but perhaps there's other aspects that are just not known that may even be more important.  Maybe given time science will figure out an ah-ha factor. 

There are always anecdotal stories with any disease. We all know about the cardiologist in town who ran in Iron Man competitions and then dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 37. There is a story like this known to every family. The news always covers these stories extensively due to the shock factor.

When you scale up to the world population, it becomes very clear the number of young people having very negative COVID outcomes is vanishingly small, just like most 37 year old cardiologists don't drop dead after a morning jog.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Bottom line.. as long as you burn off calories with exercise weight should not be an issue in tandem with watching caloric intake. It’s why diets don’t work . They lose weight, go off it and gain more back 

Very true, but folks less active than you need to remember that beer has calories (something like 10 per ounce, less for lights), and far more from carbs than from alcohol.  There's a reason it's sometimes called "liquid bread" in Germany.  (And everyone's metabolism slows with age, some more quickly than others.)

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

There are always anecdotal stories with any disease. We all know about the cardiologist in town who ran in Iron Man competitions and then dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 37. There is a story like this known to every family. The news always covers these stories extensively due to the shock factor.

When you scale up to the world population, it becomes very clear the number of young people having very negative COVID outcomes is vanishingly small, just like most 37 year old cardiologists don't drop dead after a morning jog.

For some reason, this is no longer the case in Brazil.  Recently those under 40 became the majority of those in ICU care nationally.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil/majority-of-brazil-covid-19-icu-patients-aged-40-years-or-younger-report-idUSKBN2C02UB

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - The surging COVID-19 outbreak in Brazil is increasingly affecting younger people, with hospital data showing that last month the majority of those in intensive care were aged 40 or younger, according to a new report.

The report, released by the Brazilian Association of Intensive Medicine (AMIB) over the weekend, is based on data from over a third of all the country’s intensive care wards. It found a significant increase in younger people being admitted to beds in Intensive Care Units (ICUs).

For the first time since the outbreak reached Brazil last year, 52% of ICU beds were filled by patients aged 40 or younger. That is a jump of 16.5% compared to the occupancy of that age group between December and February.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56696907

More than a year into the pandemic, deaths in Brazil are now at their peak. But despite the overwhelming evidence that Covid-19 rarely kills young children, in Brazil 1,300 babies have died from the virus. 

Is it the variant?  Is it that it is very prevalent and the old are not making it to the ICU anymore?

I don't have any issue with marijuana legalization myself. I also think people should be allowed to snort a line a coke if they want to as well, and then visit a prostitute. 

Just as long as they stay in control of themselves and don't harm others, I am good with it.

This. Finally sometning we agree on. If we are a country of freedom and personal choices then we should be able to do anything we please as long as we don’t harm anyone else. Trillions of taxpaying dollars has been wasted on the war on drugs when we could spend a fraction of that on drug education and wellness...not to mention the revenue states would receive from taxation. They want to end the drug war, legalize it all. Portugal has it right. 

• Like 1

Jim Fixx, author of "Running", which helped trigger the start of a running craze some 40+ years ago, was out for a run when his heart quit, permanently - age mid-50s.

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Jim Fixx, author of "Running", which helped trigger the start of a running craze some 40+ years ago, was out for a run when his heart quit, permanently - age mid-50s.

Fixx also had been overweight and a smoker before taking up running in his mid-30s.  Sadly he also had a family history as his father died of a heart attack at 43.

https://www.si.com/track-and-field/2020/05/21/jim-fixx-legacy-running-coronavirus

What you suggest about the nature of anecdotal accounting as needing a filtration of incredulity, etc... is perfunctory and true.

I guess when the account frequency is rather large, however,  it gets tougher to ignore?   That seems/appears to be were we are.  It seems C-19 is less one-size fits all.

As we've opined ( and incinerated heh ) in the past,  we simply cannot trust any media that has any kind of profit agenda at all -

... which or course means we are all pretty much isolated from truth and stranded upon a proverbial island,  unknowing what is really going on with the rest of the world ..etc.etc. 

lol, but for how little it is worth to say, sources more and less virtuous for their m.o. ( like NPR for example ) ... have reported more density in variance.  Hmm

I mean, let's consider hemorrhagic fevers ( Ebola, and Bubonic Plague...etc...):   these types result in narrower symptom spectrum/expressions.   With C-19 these accounts - large number of them notwithstanding... - suggest more variance. Even with Chicken Pox, or Mumps or Rubella ... Typhoid....  etc, these have a more predictable and observed systemic response regardless individual being treated.  Yeah, I'm sure these other infections have anecdotal variance' too - just not as much.

Or ... we could go the paranoid route and it's all a bed of lies...  Lol.  Maybe there is only anecdotal variance ... and no actual variance.   Because come to think about about it,  the "Industrial Media Complex" wants you to be facing unknowns .. Why?  Obvious:  because they are diabolically aware that unknown --> to fear --> clicking mouses and thumb swiping phones...  See how that works... weeeeee.  Really really easy to gaslight and trigger a civility of nervy birds into flight by sending dogma through the field.

I like the cynical snark:   The day that the Industrial Media Complex figured out how to turn mouse clicks and thumb swipes, and Television channel pings into a lucrative economic circuitry, we were doomed to ever have any hope of unbiased truth.

11 minutes ago, klw said:

Fixx also had been overweight and a smoker before taking up running in his mid-30s.  Sadly he also had a family history as his father died of a heart attack at 43.

Majority of this stuff is genetic. I paid a few companies to analyze my DNA and got a full genetic report. It was scary accurate and marched up exactly with prior health issues I have had. One interesting thing I found out was that I have a gene that makes me mostly immune to the  norovirus and the flu. I have never gotten either. 

1 hour ago, klw said:

For some reason, this is no longer the case in Brazil.  Recently those under 40 became the majority of those in ICU care nationally.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil/majority-of-brazil-covid-19-icu-patients-aged-40-years-or-younger-report-idUSKBN2C02UB

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56696907

Is it the variant?  Is it that it is very prevalent and the old are not making it to the ICU anymore?

Brazil has entire slum cities where people live in the literal garbage, so it's hard to draw any conclusions there.  

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The GD are great but Jerry’s band is so easy on the ears.  People love to hate but that dude was a level one guitar player. Clapton like skills.

People love to hate because they don't take the time to understand. They hear truckin or uncle John's band once and judge all of his music off of that. I shall be released just gives me goosebumps every time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Majority of this stuff is genetic. I paid a few companies to analyze my DNA and got a full genetic report. It was scary accurate and marched up exactly with prior health issues I have had. One interesting thing I found out was that I have a gene that makes me mostly immune to the  norovirus and the flu. I have never gotten either. 

I have a full profile from ancestry but am too afraid to look up what genes I carry and associated risks

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Wish we could get this as the 3rd major political party.  My version of the libertarian party:

Snort coke, shoot guns (as long as not at other people), visit a prostitute and pay well, let me keep my money. Marry a penguin.  Be nice to everyone.  Stop fighting silly wars.  Low taxes. Low government overhead  Be good to the earth.  No masks outside. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3