• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

I've seen two above ground in the past week here on the Hill, and inadvertently dug up some in recent weeks.

It's funny, though--i lived in MoCo in 1987 and the cicadas were just unbelievable--but I don't have any memories of Brood X here on the southeast side of the Hill in 2004. Maybe I just wasn't outside as much. I'll be interested to see if that line on the map has maybe moved a bit closer to my area, especially compared to north and west.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, FXW176 said:

Haven’t heard any singing yet, but just found my first shell. His name is Andy.

94A5B464-C86F-4FA4-96FC-B4C2FEFD8BBA.jpeg

Good afternoon, FX, loved the photo. When you run out of names ( should be in seconds ) which alphabet can you go to? As always ......

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

The Cicada Army is coming there, it's been taking over National headlines, there are estimates that there are 'Trillions' to emerge this year, good luck finding earphones for this year . . . 

I have the Yearly Cicadas & they are LOUD!

We have yearly cicadas, as well. The 17-year emergence is a completely different experience. It’s honestly an amazing spectacle of nature, one that can’t do anything but exceed expectations for those in areas where they are known to emerge.

• Thanks 1

Do the air temperatures have a big impact on them? I'd imagine unless we are down close to freezing - once they are out they will be fine. Is it just the soil temps that impact the emergence and then after that not much to hold them back? 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, rclab said:

Good afternoon, FX, loved the photo. When you run out of names ( should be in seconds ) which alphabet can you go to? As always ......

Ty! No Greek alphabet once I run out of names. Too confusing. ;)

Think I got it covered...

D79CB3FB-BEF0-4D6D-BA9D-F03FA536B374.jpeg

• Haha 10

Just now, ravensrule said:

I thought 1987 was much worse than 2004. 

You’d know better than me because I wasn’t in this immediate area in ‘87. I was in Burtonsville and it was worse here in ‘04 than there in ‘87, though I remember in ‘87 that during a bike ride, a friend of mine inadvertently swallowed one. What a great ride that was. I almost fell off my bike laughing at him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I thought 1987 was much worse than 2004. 

I agree...luckily my neighborhood is less than 17 years old.  I'm not expecting to see any to emerge here, but i do  have plenty of woods nearby and am ready for the chorus. 

My daughter hates bugs and is already dreading softball practice and games. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You’d know better than me because I wasn’t in this immediate area in ‘87. I was in Burtonsville and it was worse here in ‘04 than there in ‘87, though I remember in ‘87 that during a bike ride, a friend of mine inadvertently swallowed one. What a great ride that was. I almost fell off my bike laughing at him.

Dumb question here...how do you swallow a cicada?

They are huge!

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1