• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gonglee
    Newest Member
    gonglee

Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Soundings show a good CGZ (cidadic growth zone) moving toward the surface in the coming week or so.  We should be rippin 'cadas shortly after!! :lol:

Are you thinking 2 to 3+ cicadas/cubic meter rates?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That isolated Brood X area in Talbot county is interesting. The 17 year locust are usually nonexistent over here.

area_map34.gif

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That isolated Brood X area in Talbot county is interesting. The 17 year locust are usually nonexistent over here.

area_map34.gif

Interesting for sure....and I think @mappy would agree, but that map is awful lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Interesting for sure....and I think @mappy would agree, but that map is awful lol

lol I’ve seen worse

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

area_map34.gif

I think that Brood II over SOMD is extinct- I don't know of anyone who saw any here in 2013. (If someone here did, let me know)

• Thanks 1

I saw on WTOP that some people in an old neighborhood with mature trees took shovelfuls of dirt and counted the nymphs, and came up with an estimate of 1 million cicadas PER ACRE.  That is gonna be crazy.  We'll visit family in Calvert a couple times to get away from the noise.

• Thanks 1

Haven’t heard any singing yet, but just found my first shell. His name is Andy.

94A5B464-C86F-4FA4-96FC-B4C2FEFD8BBA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Would think that the cool temps *could* delay the emergence a bit. But it would seem to me that on a very sunny day, even if the air temp is relatively cool, the soil temps can still rise with the baking sun. 

• Thanks 1

I've seen two above ground in the past week here on the Hill, and inadvertently dug up some in recent weeks.

It's funny, though--i lived in MoCo in 1987 and the cicadas were just unbelievable--but I don't have any memories of Brood X here on the southeast side of the Hill in 2004. Maybe I just wasn't outside as much. I'll be interested to see if that line on the map has maybe moved a bit closer to my area, especially compared to north and west.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, H2O said:

I have the same amount of wrinkles

But not in the same places. As always .....

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, FXW176 said:

Haven’t heard any singing yet, but just found my first shell. His name is Andy.

94A5B464-C86F-4FA4-96FC-B4C2FEFD8BBA.jpeg

Good afternoon, FX, loved the photo. When you run out of names ( should be in seconds ) which alphabet can you go to? As always ......

• Thanks 1

Uh... Sometime in the past four hours my yard became littered with little deep round holes in the mulch. These are not the bird-and-squirrel-digging holes that I am used to seeing. (These aren't the only ones, just were the easiest to photograph together)

Screenshot_20210507-163207.png

• Like 7

The Cicada Army is coming there, it's been taking over National headlines, there are estimates that there are 'Trillions' to emerge this year, good luck finding earphones for this year . . . 

I have the Yearly Cicadas & they are LOUD!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

The Cicada Army is coming there, it's been taking over National headlines, there are estimates that there are 'Trillions' to emerge this year, good luck finding earphones for this year . . . 

I have the Yearly Cicadas & they are LOUD!

We have yearly cicadas, as well. The 17-year emergence is a completely different experience. It’s honestly an amazing spectacle of nature, one that can’t do anything but exceed expectations for those in areas where they are known to emerge.

• Thanks 1

Do the air temperatures have a big impact on them? I'd imagine unless we are down close to freezing - once they are out they will be fine. Is it just the soil temps that impact the emergence and then after that not much to hold them back? 

• Like 1

Just checked my yard - had about 6 exoskeletons on one tree - rest of the trees were bare.  Sterling, VA

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

That is a lucky find considering it just molted into a Adult . . .

When I find the Yearly Cicadas in Oklahoma, it's rarely the larva & mostly adults & shells . . .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

That is a lucky find considering it just molted into a Adult . . .

When I find the Yearly Cicadas in Oklahoma, it's rarely the larva & mostly adults & shells . . .

once the emergence is underway it's very easy to find the newly molted adults. I had dozens on the screens of my DC apartment as they crawled up the side of the building (there was a tree right in front of my unit).

• Thanks 1