• Member Statistics

    16,734
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    alexmiller
    Newest Member
    alexmiller
    Joined
wdrag

March 2021

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I still don't quite understand why anyone would want a hot summer. For what purpose? A normal summer with low to mid 80's as highs and low 60's in the early am, I live in the HV and that's the norms, is perfect weather, why do people covet 90's?

Some people just like the heat and sone others like extreme weather to follow. Similar to how some like the cold and extreme winter weather. I can’t stand the heat (especially if humid), but I see the reasoning of those who want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the ideal summer weather is 3 straight months of constant hail 24 hours a day

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

the ideal summer weather is 3 straight months of constant hail 24 hours a day

Have a good night Will. Between you and Forky’s one liners you could start fantastic focus/discussion groups. As always ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will - Rutgers said:

the ideal summer weather is 3 straight months of constant hail 24 hours a day

the ideal summer weather is a summer in sanfrancisco..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next 8 days are averaging 47degs.(38/55), or about +4.0 or more.

The GFS has eliminated all snow or rain it had ever shown for the the next two weeks, and soon will eliminate itself.

EURO has an 1" a week from now.   

 Another warmup the 18th/19th and cool down the 21st. upcoming.

39*(53%RH) here at 6am.     (was 39* all night except 40* at 1am)       41* by 7am.    45* by 9am.      46* by 9:30am.         50* by 10:45am.         53* by 11:30am.        56* by Noon.          60* by 1pm.        61* by 2pm.        Reached 64* at 4pm.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mattinpa said:

Some people just like the heat and sone others like extreme weather to follow. Similar to how some like the cold and extreme winter weather. I can’t stand the heat (especially if humid), but I see the reasoning of those who want it.

They obviously don't pay 400 dollar a month electric bills to central AC their 2500 Sq ft homes. I rooted for 100 degree days on Staten Island growing up in the 1970's. House was always cool and the pool was in the yard. Never crossed my mind about my parents electric bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

plenty of early indicators we're in for another active hurricane season. Background state looks eerily similar to last year. 

Yeah, a new study indicates that the active phase that began in 1995 may be more of a new normal. With warming Atlantic SSTs, we may not be able to count on a less active phase happening again like the 1970s and 1980s. Another study just out reinforces the idea of the warm pool remaining in place to our east. We saw how the warmer SSTs and higher pressures there last summer lead to an active  close in storm track.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I still don't quite understand why anyone would want a hot summer. For what purpose? A normal summer with low to mid 80's as highs and low 60's in the early am, I live in the HV and that's the norms, is perfect weather, why do people covet 90's?

I still don't understand why anyone would want freezing cold, crippling snowstorm after crippling snowstorm and decaying snow on the ground for months.  I can't stand anything about cold or snow anymore yet I've been here since Eastern Wx.  It's still interesting and there was a time I also used to love it when I had few responsibilities.

Like a harsh winter, a very hot summer is extreme and isn't that what weather enthusiasts are interested in?  Anything but the mundane.  

Personally I'd like temps no lower than about 65 at any time.  80s-90s and sun is perfect, humid or not, with mild nights.  Unfortunately I can't move.  I'm the anti-Metsfan weather-wise (despite being an actual Mets fan :))

Everyone's perfect is different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jr461 said:

I still don't understand why anyone would want freezing cold, crippling snowstorm after crippling snowstorm and decaying snow on the ground for months.  I can't stand anything about cold or snow anymore yet I've been here since Eastern Wx.  It's still interesting and there was a time I also used to love it when I had few responsibilities.

Like a harsh winter, a very hot summer is extreme and isn't that what weather enthusiasts are interested in?  Anything but the mundane.  

Personally I'd like temps no lower than about 65 at any time.  80s-90s and sun is perfect, humid or not, with mild nights.  Unfortunately I can't move.  I'm the anti-Metsfan weather-wise (despite being an actual Mets fan :))

Everyone's perfect is different. 

You're a perfect candidate to move to the Florida Keys. I'm starting to reach that point also.

I really don't want any more cold this year, the kitty is empty and I don't want to have to make the stretch to fill the oil tank again. I also want the summer to stay 80* or under because NYSEG doesn't really need the money for us to run the AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, a new study indicates that the active phase that began in 1995 may be more of a new normal. With warming Atlantic SSTs, we may not be able to count on a less active phase happening again like the 1970s and 1980s. Another study just out reinforces the idea of the warm pool remaining in place to our east. We saw how the warmer SSTs and higher pressures there last summer lead to an active  close in storm track.

 

It’s definitely a disconcerting reality that we probably will have to continually face for the next while. 
 

Besides this my focus is slowly shifting towards the beginning of severe season, with the idea for perhaps one last snow dwindling steadily—I wouldn’t doubt we see one or two more, but I can’t give a vote of confidence for it right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning thoughts...

At 7:50 am, an area of clouds stretched from central Maryland east-northeastward across southeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Those clouds will yield to sunshine later this morning. Overall, today will be noticeably warmer than yesterday. Temperatures will likely top out mainly in the upper 50s and lower 60s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 61°

Newark: 62°

Philadelphia: 63°

Tomorrow will be somewhat cooler. Thursday and Friday will likely see the warmest weather since late fall 2020. Cooler weather could develop near or after mid-month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, a new study indicates that the active phase that began in 1995 may be more of a new normal. With warming Atlantic SSTs, we may not be able to count on a less active phase happening again like the 1970s and 1980s. Another study just out reinforces the idea of the warm pool remaining in place to our east. We saw how the warmer SSTs and higher pressures there last summer lead to an active  close in storm track.

There does not seem to be sufficient, specific evidence, as opposed to speculative notion(s), as of now to call the independent existence of the AMO cycle into doubt. Spectral AMO peaks clearly exist even in the study by Mann et al. If anything, climate change and the AMO(C) may be inversely correlated, given that a weaker AMOC due to AGW → weaker +AMO signal. The freshening of the North Atlantic will likely lead to an early—that is, premature—onset of the next -AMO period, and some signs, namely temperature and salinity, are that this began in 2013–14, although overall Atlantic TC activity has yet to fully respond accordingly. I think AGW is likely leading to shorter +AMO periods over time and is likely heralding the next -AMO within five to ten years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nycwinter said:

the ideal summer weather is a summer in sanfrancisco..

My ideal weather is 12 months of blizzard conditions

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nycwinter said:

the ideal summer weather is a summer in sanfrancisco..

*Tampa

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, a new study indicates that the active phase that began in 1995 may be more of a new normal. With warming Atlantic SSTs, we may not be able to count on a less active phase happening again like the 1970s and 1980s. Another study just out reinforces the idea of the warm pool remaining in place to our east. We saw how the warmer SSTs and higher pressures there last summer lead to an active  close in storm track.

 

Statistically, a case can probably be made for lengthening the hurricane season given the rise in oceanic heat content that has translated into warmer oceans than in the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Statistically, a case can probably be made for lengthening the hurricane season given the rise in oceanic heat content that has translated into warmer oceans than in the past.

No need too.  Just like how we sometimes get snow in met fall and in met spring, sometimes hurricanes happen outside the "met hurricane" season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Statistically, a case can probably be made for lengthening the hurricane season given the rise in oceanic heat content that has translated into warmer oceans than in the past.

Yeah, long term SST warming is boosting the expectations for what is considered a normal Atlantic hurricane season.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even 10 AM yet and it’s already the warmest day of the year so far...at only 56 degrees. I hit 55 in January.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FPizz said:

No need too.  Just like how we sometimes get snow in met fall and in met spring, sometimes hurricanes happen outside the "met hurricane" season.  

There has been a statistically significant rise in early season storms. As the roots of the cause (warmer SSTs) is likely to endure (persistent energy imbalance with the oceans taking up most of the extra heat), one is likely dealing with a long-term change, not a periodic anomaly related to early-season tropical cyclone formation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Not even 10 AM yet and it’s already the warmest day of the year so far...at only 56 degrees. I hit 55 in January.

Feels great.  Wish I could be outside all day.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Not even 10 AM yet and it’s already the warmest day of the year so far...at only 56 degrees. I hit 55 in January.

Our first 60° day since Christmas.

 

DF6B7AE5-9343-4CAC-9D1A-63A516F00F5A.thumb.png.3526125f1434ba11b02a702d8e3e25b3.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Our first 60° day since Christmas.

 

DF6B7AE5-9343-4CAC-9D1A-63A516F00F5A.thumb.png.3526125f1434ba11b02a702d8e3e25b3.png

 

That’s when you know it’s been a good winter in nyc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weather feels amazing! The snow plow and snowblower are all cleaned and put away. Time for thunderstorms and high dews 

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This weather feels amazing! The snow plow and snowblower are all cleaned and put away. Time for thunderstorms and high dews 

I put away the kids sleds, snowball makers...thought about the shovels and other stuff and then decided to wait a couple more weeks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

That’s when you know it’s been a good winter in nyc. 

Remarkable snowfall run since 02-03. Even winters with above normal temperatures have been able to produce above normal snowfall. Below normal snowfall years like 06-07, 07-08, 11-12, 18-19, and 19-20 have been the exception rather than the rule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Remarkable snowfall run since 02-03. Even winters with above normal temperatures have been able to produce above normal snowfall. Below normal snowfall years like 06-07, 07-08, 11-12, 18-19, and 19-20 have been the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah, those warm Niña years we capitalized on every cold snow opportunity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.