• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    8283 El Nino Baby
    Newest Member
    8283 El Nino Baby
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

Definitely a better event than I was thinking earlier, as the deep layer shear is better than progged earlier.     That said, while I can see the stronger cells acquiring some broad rotation, you can't get strong low-level rotation with this wind profile:

2073398745_ScreenShot2021-05-04at3_06_27PM.thumb.png.346d12558254ef02bfe66ab6ebb23e3b.png

unless the model is way off with the weak low-level speeds that it's showing.     It also doesn't look very good with the instability, but if lapse rates are better, there is plenty of dry air below cloud base to generate some intense downdrafts.

29 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Looks like the best stuff may go south of my area...but NOVA into DC and over to Annapolis look to potentially get it good between 430-730

I dunno...I’m cautiously optimistic looking at radar.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The HRRR seemed to keep the main show along I-66 and then through DC proper but not a lot north of there. Would like to see just a bit more northerly motion  with the activity. It's more messy looking on radar lately - but wonde rif part of that is the higher terrain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

But then again, you're 20 miles southwest of me :)....Maybe itll expand more. Just think the best slips south of metro Baltimore based on radar right now

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

The HRRR seemed to keep the main show along I-66 and then through DC proper but not a lot north of there. Would like to see just a bit more northerly motion  with the activity. It's more messy looking on radar lately - but wonde rif part of that is the higher terrain

Northernmost line approaching LWX definitely looking more raggedy than an hour ago, however....the strongest portion does appear to be taking a bead on the area just north of the District, so maybe you guys are indeed in play.

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. All were pulled over with big chunks of root balls, biggest tree brought a 10 foot by 10 foot slab of dirt with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, wxdude64 said:

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. 

Glad you’re ok!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. All well pulled over with big chunks of root balls, biggest tree brought a 10 foot by 10 foot slab of dirt with it. 

Glad you're okay. Might be worth emailing LWX for their warning verification: [email protected]

13 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

That new warning for Loudoun and Fairfax is pretty meh on LWX radar. 

There are 50mph winds off the ground per the DCA TDWR.  They are going to warn that 9 times out of 10 coming into the metro where every other tree likes to fall over.

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Glad you're okay. Might be worth emailing LWX for their warning verification: [email protected]

Already sent to NWS Blacksburg

report (I found another tree down walking property after report)

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
306 PM EDT TUE MAY 4 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0247 PM     TSTM WND GST     3 S HOLLINS             37.79N 79.92W
05/04/2021  E66 MPH          ALLEGHANY          VA   COCORAHS

ALSO 3 LARGE TREES DOWN AND POWER OUT.
  • Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.