Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

5PM check in: Kind of looks like a 12-18 modest ice storm ~0.15-0.40" glaze for the I84 corridor, especially high terrain.  Non-freezing rain will probably encroach to near I80 in NJ and southern CT near I95. Here's a graphic from WPC.   Probably begins late 15 and ends Tuesday sometime toward midday?  At 536PM, added the new 72 hour statistical prob of 1/4" glaze. Pretty high prob down here in NNJ. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.04.13 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-13_at_5_32.40_PM.png

Interesting how far south the 40-50% of .25 ice is, guess not that convinced it will be plain rain.

513 AM/14 - will fully update by 915A today. It's Valentines Day. Hope all is going well. Rain LI for this event- some of it heavy. Topic headline changed a bit to further add some detail. 

Otherwise, certainly an Advisory event coming inside of I-95 Monday-Tuesday morning. There is a low probability of Watch-Warning verification ne PA/nwNJ/se NYS and N CT part of the forum for ice but questionalbe we can get to 1/2" damaging ice qualifying for a warning.  I suspect there will be some damage and power outages if the furnace (borrowed from others on the forum) RGEM continues this cold but possibly below warning criteria.  The GFS is warm tho its 06z version looks slightly colder. The GFSV16 is colder than it's soon outgoing GFS op and it holds to the 0.2-0.4" FRAM ice accretion for the event, which begins sometime Monday and ends midday Tuesday.  I still don't have a good feel for Monday but modeling is trending to agree with prior versions(from at least back to 00z/13) of the GGEM/RGEM that our untreated surfaces problems begin Monday during the day, especially afternoon.  Need more time to assess.    My feeling is the leftover advisory from this morning complicated multiple confusing headlines for the NWS and the idea, take one event at a time.  More later with graphics. 

• Thanks 1

First: The GGEM/RGEM are going to win this Monday battle of no precip vs freezing precip occurring. The 06z EC and lesser so GFS, are capitulating to a two part event beginning Monday morning.  The 06Z EC gets this going pretty fast before dawn Monday.  

I'll get the OBS thread going around 9PM tonight... and to keep it simple, will combine both the front end Monday morning with the primary Monday afternoon-Tuesday morning event.  Problems for us will be developing.  Added NWS 09z/14 ensembles for .10 glaze and .25" glaze (threshold to begin power outages, the grow much larger when 0.50 glaze ) and added the 5AM view of NWS snowfall expected by Tuesday evening.  

Screen_Shot_2021-02-14_at_6_21.00_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-14_at_6_21.48_AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.23.38 AM.png

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

First: The GGEM/RGEM are going to win this Monday battle of no precip vs freezing precip occurring. The 06z EC and lesser so GFS, are capitulating to a two part event beginning Monday morning.  The 06Z EC gets this going pretty fast before dawn Monday.  

I'll get the OBS thread going around 9PM tonight... and to keep it simple, will combine both the front end Monday morning with the primary Monday afternoon-Tuesday morning event.  Problems for us will be developing.  Added NWS 09z/14 ensembles for .10 glaze and .25" glaze (threshold to begin power outages, the grow much larger when 0.50 glaze ) and added the 5AM view of NWS snowfall expected by Tuesday evening.  

Screen_Shot_2021-02-14_at_6_21.00_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-14_at_6_21.48_AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.23.38 AM.png

Walt, the total snowfall graphic for the NE do you have a link to that graphic? Thank you!

3 minutes ago, sferic said:

@snywx @Ericjcrash @crossbowftw3  I thing if we wind up with 3-6 inches total  by 00z Saturday we'll call it a win. Too much warmth rearing its ugly nose to kill all snow threats through the week thereby greatly  lowering the expectations of 12+ for our counties. Agreed?

3-6 and icing of up to .25 makes sense at this juncture for tomorrow into Tuesday

39 minutes ago, sferic said:

Walt, the total snowfall graphic for the NE do you have a link to that graphic? Thank you!

https://www.weather.gov/erh/gis_wfo?id=ALY

Slider bar down to the regional and lower right is the map. 

Updates usually 2 hours after the 330A-330P packages.  So the 5A/5P are best for an overall depiction.

It updates throughout the day but takes a while for the local WFO amounts to change in the map. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The following 1154AM/14 update is for those concerned about power Monday night. The NWS ensemble mean glaze forecast (Sunday more ing update) is out for Monday-Monday night. The blue is 1/2", the dark green is 1/4". If you're anywhere with the dark green/blue, be aware you may not lose power Tuesday morning. This guidance may shift a little northwest on Monday with the southeast edge and total amounts possibly high by 1 or 2 tenths of an inch. Still, this guidance is heftier than what was projected for NC/VA and they got hit pretty hard. Difficult Monday night ahead and results for Tuesday morning may be problematic. My "guess" is a Winter Storm Watch "may" be issued ~330PM, for a Monday night ice storm in the blue area. 

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'F24 HREF 24-hr FRAM accretion (in), ensemble mean NOAA/NWS/Storm Prediction Center F36 Run: Sun 2021-02-14 12:00 UTC Valid: Tue 2021 02 02-16 16 12:00 UTC'

32 minutes ago, wdrag said:
The following 1154AM/14 update is for those concerned about power Monday night. The NWS ensemble mean glaze forecast (Sunday more ing update) is out for Monday-Monday night. The blue is 1/2", the dark green is 1/4". If you're anywhere with the dark green/blue, be aware you may not lose power Tuesday morning. This guidance may shift a little northwest on Monday with the southeast edge and total amounts possibly high by 1 or 2 tenths of an inch. Still, this guidance is heftier than what was projected for NC/VA and they got hit pretty hard. Difficult Monday night ahead and results for Tuesday morning may be problematic. My "guess" is a Winter Storm Watch "may" be issued ~330PM, for a Monday night ice storm in the blue area. 

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'F24 HREF 24-hr FRAM accretion (in), ensemble mean NOAA/NWS/Storm Prediction Center F36 Run: Sun 2021-02-14 12:00 UTC Valid: Tue 2021 02 02-16 16 12:00 UTC'

Walt, I see the blue mostly in the higher elevation locations.  I am hoping our lower elevation in the mid Hudson Valley will reduce power outage potential. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Thursday is looking like the more wintry threat as models amp up Tuesday.

Could end up being a SWFE or even a later stage Miller B.

Alot can still change but whenever you see lousy res models like GFS at 90 plus hours showing event starting as snow, it IS gonna start as snow.  Its too early right now to know if its 2 inches or 6 before the changeover but I'm confident it starts as snow

1 hour ago, sferic said:

@snywx @Ericjcrash @crossbowftw3  I thing if we wind up with 3-6 inches total  by 00z Saturday we'll call it a win. Too much warmth rearing its ugly nose to kill all snow threats through the week thereby greatly  lowering the expectations of 12+ for our counties. Agreed?

I don’t see much snow falling tomorrow or Tuesday for the 84 corridor. Some sleet and a decent amount of ZR is prob the likely outcome for these parts. Up by you in northern Sullivan I can see 3” or so falling followed by some icing. Thursday looks a bit snowier 

• Like 1