Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

4 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

0.84" rain in Smithtown.

We cut the snowpack almost in half since yesterday morning. Was 12" Monday morning, 9" this morning and we lost another 2 or 3 inches under the Saharan sun this afternoon.  No bare spots here, there are some on the sides of Main Street down in town.  I was down in Islandia this afternoon (near the LIE) and there is noticeably less snow there with bare spots.The good news is that there is plenty left on the north shore to freeze into a nice solid base waiting to get covered up with Thursday's anticipated snowfall.  I'll be back out on the skis soon enough. 

The bad news is I'm supposed to be leading a completely filled group hike in the Catskills on Thursday and unless there is a cosmic shift in this evenings guidance, I'm going to have to cancel it due to expected travel conditions, especially for the downstate folks.

Maybe up there the snow stays clean, but I rather like old snow getting eradicated and replaced by new.  Thats why 1995-96 was my favorite snowfall season.  I just dont like weeks old snow sticking around, it looks dirty after about a week.