• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

February Banter 2021

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I do fly when I have too, and increasingly as I get older and time is no longer a luxury I have...I am flying more and more.  But I have driven from this general area to Colorado 3 times, Utah twice, Wyoming, Revelstoke BC, and Texas because I prefer road trips.  

My wife and I are planning our first several-weeks-long, RV-based, cross-country trip this July to see our oldest son, who's stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, WA. We are so damn excited...because both of us have flown back and forth over the continent more times we can remember over the years....but have never taken a trip like this to stop and see the many sights (to and from) along the way.

EDIT: "Nomadland" became available on Hulu last evening. The mrs. and I watched this 2020 movie on a whim last night, and it is one of the most moving, most impactful movies I've seen in awhile. And, given the topic here at hand, I thought I'd mention it. Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Back door cold fronts? Can’t wait :unsure:

I really wanted to break out the Bart Scott gif here, but I will resist.

53 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So in my quest to keep gluten out of my diet and starch, have lost a decent amount by doing so. Have been looking for different dinner options. Tonight two new recipes. Sweet and Spicy BS thighs with a shaved Brussels sprouts salad. Normally I would have made potatoes or rice with this kind of meal but did the different salad. This meal was so flavorful and quick to cook. Salad took a bit of prep. Hand chopped a lb. of sprouts. But so worth it. And the dinner in the pan was so pretty took a shot of that. 

369D40DD-9432-47A3-AAAE-893E056132A6.jpeg

F41454EB-243D-41D0-8972-638EA9AAB893.jpeg

very nice. i love to chiffonade Brussels sprouts, lol. it feels very satisfying to see the pile when you're done.

an idea for a non-starch side that kind of mimics a starchy side is zucchini "pancakes".  they're more like a large non-deep-fried fritter, but they are simple, tasty, freeze really well, and reheat like a dream. sometimes I'll add some pre-made slaw salad mix and shredded cabbage and make a mini-version of the Japanese dish okonomiyaki.

I only recently realized that you are the board cook! that's wonderful. i like to cook too. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

very nice. i love to chiffonade Brussels sprouts, lol. it feels very satisfying to see the pile when you're done.

an idea for a non-starch side that kind of mimics a starchy side is zucchini "pancakes".  they're more like a large non-deep-fried fritter, but they are simple, tasty, freeze really well, and reheat like a dream. sometimes I'll add some pre-made slaw salad mix and shredded cabbage and make a mini-version of the Japanese dish okonomiyaki.

I only recently realized that you are the board cook! that's wonderful. i like to cook too. :)

Those pancakes sound good. Is there a recipe you follow? 

Also was wanting to make mini meatloafs. But I usually use stuffing as my bread binder. Found out I can use pork rinds. Going to try that out next meal cycle. :D

14 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Those pancakes sound good. Is there a recipe you follow? 

this is the one I started with and for some reason now add a little sugar to the batter (no idea why). this eliminates having to drain the zucchini before being able to start cooking as it uses the zucchini moisture to thin the batter.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-pancakes-recipe-1948910

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Sure it wasn't 2018? What you are describing sounds exactly like the Equinox storm that year.

It was def 2019 because I moved in September of ‘18

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Sure it wasn't 2018? What you are describing sounds exactly like the Equinox storm that year.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Checking my logs there was some snow in the area on the 8th and the 18th but it wasn’t much in Arlington or Charlottesville. Maybe one of those two?

I’m stupid, it was Feb 20, 2019. Thanks y’all lol.

3 hours ago, T. August said:

Does anyone remember a mid-March 2019 event? I measured 6.5”. I can’t find anything on it. It’s what prompted me to get a spotter ID, because it was one of the few times in my life Aberdeen/Havre de Grace jacked, and I couldn’t report it lol.

Edit: Not the March 3 one

Not out here brother. March 3rd I had 3.3 according to my records. And it was dumping. I got .5 on March 8th. And that was the end of the winter out here. Here is the March 3rd event:

image.thumb.png.9b837adefc2c0f899855e13ad07fbcbc.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Holy schnitzkes, indeed. Even after decades of flying, I'm still a white-knuckle flier (honestly, an irrational fear in this day and age), so this is nightmare fuel to me. My first thought seeing the pic of the dropped engine cowling in the front yard that @CAPE put up a couple posts back was, "Thank God it didn't hit the house OR the RV in that front yard!" Upon seeing some of these additional pics/videos, I'm more soberly thinking THANK GOD this rig landed safely at Denver. Dear God....  :(

I have to get hammered to get on a plane. Even my boss knows this and flys me out a day early because of it. I am a wreck on an airplane. 

• Like 1

We may have missed snow again this week in my zip code, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore ribs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you can't see bare pavement to step on.  

As frustrating as the overall winter has been in my part of the area, that's the third time this year we've been able to glaciate what has fallen and hold it for nice winter vistas for many days after the event. That's been nice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We may have missed snow again this week, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore firsbs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you cant' see bare pavement to step on.  

Alrighty North Balti, time to get you some of these

image.png.a287afaf869960c351c2b52064e18ac5.png

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We may have missed snow again this week in my zip code, but the .8 of sleet in my hood absolutely glaciated. To the point that I fell four, that's right FOUR times walking the pup this AM. Sore ribs and wrist but don't think I broke anything. That's six falls in two days, so...probably should stop falling.   Absolutely dangerous as hell to this rapidly aging dude if you can't see bare pavement to step on.  

As frustrating as the overall winter has been in my part of the area, that's the third time this year we've been able to glaciate what has fallen and hold it for nice winter vistas for many days after the event. That's been nice. 

I fell down in Winchester on Friday. Was just walking along hit some ice with my right foot and down I went. I landed in my knees luckily. So yeah. It is dangerous out there. 

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

yikes, hope you're okay. 

You too @WxUSAF

Be careful! My bum is still sore from falling the other day. 

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

yikes, hope you're okay. 

You too @WxUSAF

Be careful! My bum is still sore from falling the other day. 

I’m a bit better today, but I wrecked whatever muscle is just above my right hip.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m a bit better today, but I wrecked whatever muscle is just above my right hip.

(My sub-conscious, apparently, 48 hours ago)

Hypothesis:  Ice is hard

Test:  Fall down and see.

Results:  Confirmed, ice is hard.

(Repeat as necessary to make sure)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Alrighty North Balti, time to get you some of these

image.png.a287afaf869960c351c2b52064e18ac5.png

I have stabilicers, which are not as hard core as this.  They make all the difference in the world and will literally save your ass. Getting to old to fall on the ice so 25 bucks and a few seconds to save broken bones works for me.

https://stabil.implus.com/product/stabil-walk

17 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We spent the afternoon on the eastern shore hitting up a couple of breweries. Came home to a delivery that I broke into for my Manhattan.

No judging.

No judging whatsoever. Please send me the juice... I’ll drink it if you don’t want it...

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

IyOAT3a.jpg

Office of the Lord High Executioner 
The Panic Room

1423 Panic Lane
Darkness, USA 

It is with great joy that I announce my second, and final, retirement as CEO of The Panic Room and Mid-Atlantic Reaper effective March 31, 2021. 

Since February 2, 2015, The Panic Room has always tried to stay true to its mission: keep winter fun, even when the snowfall breaks don't go our way. Over the last six years, The Panic Room has grown from a bare bones operation, compiling poetic, creative, and emotional posts about winter that kept the laughs flowing during difficult times, to an industrial operation, serving as the final winter weenie resting place for those that were ready to abandon the insanity of tracking winter storm chances and blind faith in the "Infallible" Euro and other false prophets. 

The Panic Room became a Mid-Atlantic tradition that was replicated by other subforums on AmWx, showing some of us that winter need not be all tension, bickering, and doom--that we could laugh at our plight as snow-starved winter weenies and unite behind a common purpose: hatred of the fickle nature of winter and snowfall.  

Our recognitions are numerous, from being frequently called "the best thread on AmWx", to Forbes naming us as one of the World's Best Workplaces for five consecutive years, to a daytime Emmy for our groundbreaking production of Real Weenies of the I-95 Corridor.

It has been an extraordinary journey helping people vent and laugh during bad winters and terrible winter weather events, while learning profound things about human nature and the mindset of a wx weenie.

With nearly 330,000 visits, thousands of posts, and countless belly laughs over these past six years, it is time to hang up the sickle. 

The last call on reapings has arrived. The end, thankfully, is near.  

Thank you, 

WxWatcher007
Lord High Executioner
Founder & CEO, The Panic Room

Not gonna lie, this announcement makes me a little...wistful.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I'm ready for warmer weather.  Might as well and prepping the lawn equip sounds good to me

• Like 2