Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

43 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

All three ensembles have a pattern change to above normal temperatures after the 20th. I believe winter is over the last week of february barring another blocking episode. 

Pretty bad calls about cold in the East.  In this 10 day mean the real cold never got into SE Canada and the last few days the cold is lessening,  but diminishing core remains out West.

I will simply blame the Pac, the Nina and the base state.  

So, next winter when someone says the AO will go negative or the NAO will go negative I will simply say, so what. 

930584029_tenday(4).thumb.gif.4e1ae3286d4bafd199d90a37923dee3c.gif1573109572_pna.sprd2(1).thumb.gif.770a45ffa06e2b9ffbca744b05013b6e.gif

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Got a new rule.  Ain't looking at nothing beyond a day weather wise. Ignorance is bliss so time to drink and not know things

That is where I have been for about a year lately. Have been going off gut, know it sounds non scientific but it has helped me not get any unnecessary expatiations. Has just simplified my life really and cut down on stress. 

5 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

That is where I have been for about a year lately. Have been going off gut, know it sounds non scientific but it has helped me not get any unnecessary expatiations. Has just simplified my life really and cut down on stress. 

Same. You made an interesting comment yesterday, though, either in this thread or another...about being willing to trade your snow for tstorms. I couldn't tell if you meant you enjoy the snow more than severe wx, or the reverse...though I suspect you meant the former.

You've certainly had your share of severe thunderstorms, including nearby tornado threats, up your way in recent years...at times, I gauge when such storms are going to hit here in NoVA, based on your reports and others from Frederick area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Whew I'm sure glad I got 5-6" of snow this week I'd hate to be as miserable as some of you other ****ers :hurrbear:

Right?? Holy hell. If snow is such a necessity for your happiness, move to Vermont or Maine or something— like that guy who comes in here every year just to troll us about the 200” per year seasons he gets up in New England now that he’s left Maryland. :lol:

Don’t get me wrong - I can imagine in a winter where some folks have barely cracked 5” on the season, seeing 5-6” of snow happen to your north one night and the south of you the next must be extremely defeating as a hobbyist.... but y’all, if lack of snow makes you THAT miserable, may I suggest taking up knitting or something lol 

13 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Right?? Holy hell. If snow is such a necessity for your happiness, move to Vermont or Maine or something— like that guy who comes in here every year just to troll us about the 200” per year seasons he gets up in New England now that he’s left Maryland. :lol:

Don’t get me wrong - I can imagine in a winter where some folks have barely cracked 5” on the season, seeing 5-6” of snow happen to your north one night and the south of you the next must be extremely defeating as a hobbyist.... but y’all, if lack of snow makes you THAT miserable, may I suggest taking up knitting or something lol 

I love how folks throw "just move" around as if everybody can do that at the drop of the hat, other life factors be darned, lol For some of us the only way is through it.

Dropping the hobby ain't a thing for some either...some do the hobby soley to chase snow chances to see what may happen. Snow, happiness...hobby develops in the pursuit of finding out if there will be snow...So "drop the hobby" means "don't look!", lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Cool

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If it were that easy, Redfield, NY would be a city not a village lol.

My freshman year of college was spent in Oswego before transferring to the University at Buffalo. The year I was up there was the “10 feet in 8 days” year in February 2007 (winter 06-07) We got over 240” that season. The snowiest parts of the tughill surpassed 300. It was an insane 90 days of weather. Buffalo was also quite snowy, but more cold than anything else. The city of Buffalo itself isn’t in the best location for persistent lake snow being on the NE tip of Erie, but when the fetch and steering winds align SW over Erie.... look out. The “October storm” was quite memorable. Nearly 2 feet in mere hours with thundersnow. I’m not sure I’ll ever get the opportunity to live in such a snowy place again. Apple isn’t based in any super snowy cities or areas :(

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Whatever the disturbance is that is causing the light snow to persist here I ain't mad. A nice solid snow Wednesday night, very little melting on Thursday cold day on Friday with persistent snow showers freshening up the pack. Feels like winter here.

Come here and check out the ambiance. You’ll love it lol

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

My freshman year of college was spent in Oswego before transferring to the University at Buffalo. The year I was up there was the “10 feet in 8 days” year in February 2007 (winter 06-07) We got over 240” that season. The snowiest parts of the tughill surpassed 300. It was an insane 90 days of weather. Buffalo was also quite snowy, but more cold than anything else. The city of Buffalo itself isn’t in the best location for persistent lake snow being on the NE tip of Erie, but when the fetch and steering winds align SW over Erie.... look out. The “October storm” was quite memorable. Nearly 2 feet in mere hours with thundersnow. I’m not sure I’ll ever get the opportunity to live in such a snowy place again. Apple isn’t based in any super snowy cities or areas :(

Western NY ain't a bad place to be if you can find a decent job (or if you're retired). My wife and I have been up here since 2003. We live in western Monroe county (near Brockport). Pretty nice, still lots of farmland and open space. We average about 100" of snow but are not in one of the prime lake effect belts where bands set up and dump 60" in a day. It comes in frequent smaller amounts, lots of days with 1-3". An occasional synoptic storm as well, I'd say most winters there is one big event in the 12-24" range. This year we're well below average but still have had nearly 50" with a solid 8" or so on the ground right now.

We lived in Maryland and Virginia for 10 years and I actually preferred the climate down there. I'm more of a summer person and frankly am getting tired of the long, dark, cold winters. The biggest problems are the lack of sun from November - March, sometimes you can go weeks without any sun. And the springs often tend to be delayed, cold, wet. That's partly due to the cold lakes being nearby. On the other hand, summer and fall are glorious.

We'll probably retire in Virginia or NC though we're also toying with the idea of shaking things up and spending some time out west. Time will tell...

• Like 1

This picture from my old house just popped up in my Facebook feed, from Feb 2010.  The WAA snow before blizzard 2 of Feb 9-10, 2010.  About 4-5 inches in two hours, then sleet/drizzle lull, then at 6am the house shook as if hit by an earth quake.  Pouring snow, 50mph winds and whiteout conditions.  Now that was a way to run a winter!

360D9F98-E1A3-4C93-8780-A2183101ABE8.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, frd said:

Pretty bad calls about cold in the East.  In this 10 day mean the real cold never got into SE Canada and the last few days the cold is lessening,  but diminishing core remains out West.

I will simply blame the Pac, the Nina and the base state.  

So, next winter when someone says the AO will go negative or the NAO will go negative I will simply say, so what. 

930584029_tenday(4).thumb.gif.4e1ae3286d4bafd199d90a37923dee3c.gif1573109572_pna.sprd2(1).thumb.gif.770a45ffa06e2b9ffbca744b05013b6e.gif

we had a +PNA for long stretches in December and early January and that did no good either.  

Look at this SWS out of Dallas NWS:

...BRIEF MODERATE SNOW NEAR AREA LAKES IN MONTAGUE...NORTHEASTERN
ERATH... HOPKINS...RAINS...LAMAR...PALO PINTO...COLLIN...FANNIN...
ELLIS... DALLAS...HOOD...VAN ZANDT...DENTON...PARKER...DELTA...
ROCKWALL...HUNT...SOMERVELL...KAUFMAN...JOHNSON...WISE...JACK...
TARRANT...COOKE AND GRAYSON COUNTIES...

At 1030 AM CST, there have been multiple reports of localized light
to moderate snow downstream of area lakes.  These areas of snow are
usually narrow bands confined to areas near and south of area lakes.
Visibility may be reduced to less than 1 mile in snow for brief
periods of time.  These rapidly changing conditions could surprise
drivers.  Slow down and drive with extreme caution.

LES in Texas

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, coh said:

Western NY ain't a bad place to be if you can find a decent job (or if you're retired). My wife and I have been up here since 2003. We live in western Monroe county (near Brockport). Pretty nice, still lots of farmland and open space. We average about 100" of snow but are not in one of the prime lake effect belts where bands set up and dump 60" in a day. It comes in frequent smaller amounts, lots of days with 1-3". An occasional synoptic storm as well, I'd say most winters there is one big event in the 12-24" range. This year we're well below average but still have had nearly 50" with a solid 8" or so on the ground right now.

We lived in Maryland and Virginia for 10 years and I actually preferred the climate down there. I'm more of a summer person and frankly am getting tired of the long, dark, cold winters. The biggest problems are the lack of sun from November - March, sometimes you can go weeks without any sun. And the springs often tend to be delayed, cold, wet. That's partly due to the cold lakes being nearby. On the other hand, summer and fall are glorious.

We'll probably retire in Virginia or NC though we're also toying with the idea of shaking things up and spending some time out west. Time will tell...

Sounds like you live in a beautiful spot. I still enjoy the big snows (at this point, any snow) on the rare occasion it appears in southern FfxCo...just hate cleaning it up now. We're probably heading for one of the Carolinas or Florida in a couple years for a pre-retirement move. The beach will eventually win out.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

we had a +PNA for long stretches in December and early January and that did no good either.  

More poor luck chaos. We know it is easier to score in Jan or Feb, ( our best climo naturally ), versus December. The + PNA arrived at a time when Canada was loaded with Pac puke air. 

A better Pac now would have helped. But, its more than that. 

Have you seen this year, and at times in the last 4 years,  the increasing difficulty to get into a good snow pattern for our area. There is a reason for that too.   

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Tulsa is under a WSW for 6-10 inches of snow Sunday into Monday with a high of 10 and a low of -2. Oklahoma City same but 9 and -4. 

Just. I mean. 

It sucks being on the East coast , even Nashville is in deep winter.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=145&y=95&site=ohx&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=145&map_y=95#.YCa3rmhKiUk

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic