Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

20 minutes ago, met_fan said:

The snow has been great here the last few hours and we’re going to go well over every forecast I saw for the Pioneer Valley...what happened that prevented the extreme shadowing that was showing up in every model and forecast?

I'm guessing because the wind has had a more northerly component allowing for better snow dynamics than the long easterly subsistence fetch that had been forecasted.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

This amounted to white rain.  Rates were just never prolific enough to overcome low level mank.  We had a period from 3-5pm where it was able to overcome that.  Still snowing but not doing a thing.

So all those killer returns on the radar are just 34 degree slop?

I guess I'm not alone. 

7 minutes ago, ScottieBird said:

I got my balls busted on this forum this AM for giving you Eastern folk a preview of coming attractions. Begrudgingly we gotta give the folks at the weather Channel some props for getting a better handle on this forecast than BOX or most broadcast outlets. That being said a thrilling storm. I'm sitting in a parking lot in north Kingstown, RI a few miles west of the Bay watching the snow pile up loving every minute of it. 

I don't think it was ball busting as much as you throwing in the towel pretty early on.  Yes, the outcome eventually was a bust.  But you admit yourself that three miles west of you the forecast is much closer to what was expected.  Conditions could have easily changed where the snow piled up a little more east of the bay.  It's not like North Kingstown is a bastion of high snowfall totals in the winter time like NW RI.

The Weather Channel and Ch. 10 did end up with a better forecast for eastern parts of RI...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It was evident early this afternoon this was heading down the shitter here. We had like 2 hours of good snow as bob alluded to, and outside of that it’s been non accumulating white rain.

Sounds like you were spot on, and I shouldn't have doubted you. Out here the issue hasn't been temps as much as lousy snow growth and subsidence. The evening was supposed to be the big prize with hours of +SN, but it wasn't to be.

Just now, Fozz said:

Sounds like you were spot on, and I shouldn't have doubted you. Out here the issue hasn't been temps as much as lousy snow growth and subsidence. The evening was supposed to be the big prize with hours of +SN, but it wasn't to be.

Just a few degrees to warm unfortunately...too bad... could have been a contendah