Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It was earlier this week but imo how it's happening on the ground is an old rerun at this point. That's prob not a coincidence. Deep under the hood might be unusual. Ground truth is not.  I think we can agree there. GFS is going to win this one for our yards. Every time I looked at it I envisioned this type of outcome (and it made a lot of sense even if I didnt like it) but I never compared any run over run changes in the upper levels or any fine detail at all really. I just broad brushed looked at runs in isolation when I had time click thru them.

Primary is in OH now. That's def not suppressed. Euro had a horizontal brick wall just north of our region earlier this week when it was exciting. Now the firehose is rocking NYC/CNJ/CPA. That's not suppression either. Maybe technically in the fine details it still all is but it's really hard to defend suppression looking at everything in it's entirety as it's happening/going to happen. 

The suppression in New England moves out just in time for the wave to amplify along the coast. Problem is it de amplified the wave west of us first then because the ridge is east of the Rockies it reamplifies a bit too late. The slp track is fine. Transfer to NC then up. But we’re sitting under the dry slot ahead of the mid and upper level lows as the secondary passes through our sweet spot so it’s ruined. The mid and upper lows take too long to get their act together and phase in too late. Not sure suppression would have helped that. We’ve had some really awesome miller b hybrids with a primary into Ohio so long as the secondary develops south of us. But those cases (feb 10 2010 was one) the trough was amplifying not weakening on approach. The stall then wait to phase of the upper lows kills us because we sit under the dry SW flow at the mid levels as the coastal passes us. The runs that crushed us the trough didn’t open up and weaken as much it held and amplified to the coast without the weaken/open up/stall nonsense. Imo that was when it went wrong. 

• Like 1

Parkville- Breezy, light snow. Got close to 3 inches today. The pixie dust snow was a bit disappointing today cutting down on accumulations, but I expected 2-5 today so wound up in that range. 

If I'm not misunderstood, we should still get light/moderate snow tomorrow afternoon, maybe a few more inches?

18 minutes ago, Ruin said:

sometimes when echos just vanish or just come out of no where I wonder if the radar wasnt just acting up sometimes and not picking it up or late in showing it drying up

With snow, it usually means upper level energy is moving in and pockets of lift/dynamics are doing what they do. Upper level energy often pummels new weenie's brains because a blank radar = nothing happening at all for many hours. But there's plenty of available moisture in the column for precip. Just no mechanism to wring it out. Then energy moves overhead way up at 15k' or more snow starts seemingly out of nowhere. Like a miracle really. But if you understand 500mb vort and height panels it's not a miracle at all. It's expected. Not saying you should know this in any way shape or form because vast majority here dont. Tonight wont have a lot of that magic.  Just remember this post during our next legit upper level system and make fun of weenies on the verge of suicide. :tomato:

If you want a visual, click through the 500mb vort panels on the nam and check out the closed circle over OH as it approaches and starts sending orange and yellow swirly things over our heads. The redder and oranger and swirlier, the more energy to work with. It's not nearly that simple to forecast but its a good way to understand what your seeing on radar. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

With snow, it usually means upper level energy is moving in and pockets of lift/dynamics are doing what they do. Upper level energy often pummels new weenie's brains because a blank radar = nothing happening at all for many hours. But there's plenty of available moisture in the column for precip. Just no mechanism to wring it out. Then energy moves overhead way up at 15k' or more snow starts seemingly out of nowhere. Like a miracle really. But if you understand 500mb vort and height panels it's not a miracle at all. It's expected. Not saying you should know this in any way shape or form because vast majority here dont. Tonight wont have a lot of that magic.  Just remember this post during our next legit upper level system and make fun of weenies on the verge of suicide. :tomato:

If you want a visual, click through the 500mb vort panels on the nam and check out the closed circle over OH as it approaches and starts sending orange and yellow swirly things over our heads. The redder and oranger and swirlier, the more energy to work with. It's not nearly that simple to forecast but its a good way to understand what your seeing on radar. 

I know what your saying but ive seen it in the summer time too. its raining at my house and radar shows blank. then 20 mins later it shows something to the east of me. or when im star gazing for the meteor showers forecast is for clear skys and clouds roll in but on the satellite no clouds. this happens with both the summer ones and the winter ones.

What a great freakin' day. Walked 11 miles. Probably the most exercise I've had since the pandemic started. Just beautiful stuff out here. Snowball fight with friends. Snowmen everywhere on Grounds. This wasn't the biblical event that was dreamed of but I was out in the snow for 10 hours and I'm happy as a clam. 

Good luck to all of you on the backside. We all deserve a snow day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Parkville- Breezy, light snow. Got close to 3 inches today. The pixie dust snow was a bit disappointing today cutting down on accumulations, but I expected 2-5 today so wound up in that range. 

If I'm not misunderstood, we should still get light/moderate snow tomorrow afternoon, maybe a few more inches?

Some of the best rates of the day right now, too. Finishing strong here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking at meso.  The cad wedge still pretty intrenched . Critical thicknesses still solid south of DC on north 

Definitely think the colder models nailed this part of the storm (RGEM, NAM, Euro, CMC). Now to see where we diverge from here. 

also the deeper CAD wedge could lead me to believe in more digging/amplification in the trough with our secondary low system. That could of course help bring this tighter into the coast and assist with the capture. 

• Like 4

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

What a great freakin' day. Walked 11 miles. Probably the most exercise I've had since the pandemic started. Just beautiful stuff out here. Snowball fight with friends. Snowmen everywhere on Grounds. This wasn't the biblical event that was dreamed of but I was out in the snow for 10 hours and I'm happy as a clam. 

Good luck to all of you on the backside. We all deserve a snow day.

Love this! Had a similar type of day. It's not what we'd dream of, but it is plenty to enjoy in many ways! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Definitely think the colder models nailed this part of the storm (RGEM, NAM, Euro, CMC). Now to see where we diverge from here. 

also the deeper CAD wedge could lead me to believe in more digging/amplification in the trough with our secondary low system. That could of course help bring this tighter into the coast and assist with the capture. 

This is the SOLE thing I’ve been watching all day long. Pressure falls off the coast, 500mb, etc. Things are SO close to lining up for a more tucked solution. I think Baltimore and central / northern MD are still very much in the ball game. Next 6-12 hours will be critical. Better chance than not that things end up happening too late, but damn it’ll be close. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic