Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm hearing 12-16" Emmitsburg on west to hagerstown with possible accumulation tonight and tomorrow to go . Maybe someone sneaks into the 20" contour:weenie: for the nesis 

16” at the mount. Heard of a 21” report along the PA MD border near Hagerstown 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Curious to see how the upper level energy feature pans out overnight. 

Me too. There's snow all the way back to the OH/PA border. Amazing.

I tell you, Sterling's initial 8-12" for the Mason-Dixon counties when they first issued the winter storm warning worked out it seems. If the upper level energy can swing through in one good piece a lot of places north of I-70 are probably going to clip up to 8".

https://twitter.com/stormsellwx/status/1356428126763552771/photo/1

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just need a 1/2" tomorrow to have 2 - 10" WSW snows this season.  It's been a a great season imo up here so far . We had a long drought between snows but that's not atypical.  

Agreed. Double digits twice (10” both times) by feb 1st is solid. By the look of the EPS/GFS, we could surpass climo by Valentine’s Day 

I’ve come to realize I like the day after a big storm more. I like the scenery of snow on the ground but I’m not a huge fan of it hitting me in the face. Don’t get me wrong it’s awesome when it’s puking snow and piling up. But my favorite part is taking a walk when it’s nice out and there is snow otg. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i gave up measuring yesterday, but both of these are close to me

..Jefferson County...
  Bloomery 3 SSE          8.0   515 PM  2/01  Trained Spotter
  Shenandoah Junction     8.0   720 PM  2/01  NWS Employee

plus the LWX snow depth map has me in the 8-12” category, so i’ll go with that.

We had some serious compaction today. I am still under 10 inches with my obs. But I probably broke it in all honesty. Got lazy with measuring during most of the day. Awesome two days though. 

11 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i gave up measuring yesterday, but both of these are close to me

..Jefferson County...
  Bloomery 3 SSE          8.0   515 PM  2/01  Trained Spotter
  Shenandoah Junction     8.0   720 PM  2/01  NWS Employee

plus the LWX snow depth map has me in the 8-12” category, so i’ll go with that.

My uncle lives in Shenandoah Junction.  Right behind the High and Middle Schools. 

fwiw  Macungie PA has hit 30 in of snow tonight and still puking snow.  Just incredible banding today with pancake flakes and whiteout conditions. Triple phaser/Miller A possibility on Sunday- I feel good things for your forum. You guys need it.  For me- 4 feet of snow on the ground would be incredible and a hell of a flood threat if the MIller A materialized

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

fwiw  Macungie PA has hit 30 in of snow tonight and still puking snow.  Just incredible banding today with pancake flakes and whiteout conditions. Triple phaser/Miller A possibility on Sunday- I feel good things for your forum. You guys need it.  For me- 4 feet of snow on the ground would be incredible and a hell of a flood threat if the MIller A materialized

I have been there with the 40 inches in 2016. It was a major pain in the ass in all honesty. Incredible experience. But I am fine with 10-20 inches :)

54 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

NOAA Just updated interpolated obs through 00Z... Looks like forecasts won't bust that badly for most. Got me in ~3" which is accurate. I was expecting 4-8".

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.28.14 PM.png

It’s got me at 6-8 in Germantown but I’m at 3”. I think both the models and the obs did not realize how much of the precip came down as sleet and freezing rain.

Mad props to LWX for forecasting this (at least in my area). They had the progression of the storm (from snow to mix to rain and back again) pretty much nailed down on Saturday. Snow totals came in less than advertised (my final total was 3.5"), but not dramatically less than what was originally forecasted for this area (4-8")

Currently pixie dust still falling out there. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic