Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Are there people out there who don’t like 40” of snow? Like.... 12-18” is their “ideal storm” and 24+ is just “too much”? If so, they need to get checked out. They’ve lost their weenie way!

Would that much snow cause damage? I mean... We are the same people hoping to see tornadoes in summertime so...:whistle: (anyway, back on topic)

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Are there people out there who don’t like 40” of snow? Like.... 12-18” is their “ideal storm” and 24+ is just “too much”? If so, they need to get checked out. They’ve lost their weenie way!

That’s like 90% of the population.  You just won’t find any in here lol

Just now, LP08 said:

Gfs just never develops the healthy ccb once it stalls off the Delmarva.  Still gets wrap around snows after the thump.

maybe its lack of high resolution? It has healthy snow through 12z Tuesday but not heavy but it did take a step towards the RGEM in terms of features

• Like 3

Craziest part about that RGEM run is we’ve never been terribly far away on models from having the low get captured and transfer earlier / further south as its showing here. The players have always been on the field for a biggie, as PSU keeps saying, but they just never really aligned on any model until now. Slight differences in the timing of the transfer, the track of the primary, ridging out west, the vort diving south on the back end, the track of the 700mb low, etc have left us within an insane range of solutions. 

Everything finally lined up on the Rgem and that’s the final product. Of course we shouldn’t expect these totals, but it’s been insanely consistent, and if others models trend in its direction... look out. 

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

maybe its lack of high resolution? It has healthy snow through 12z Tuesday but not heavy but it did take a step towards the RGEM in terms of features

Yeah...looking at everything that run was better but the surface was just like you said, moderate stuff.  I’ll hang on the lower resolution excuse.

The 7H evolution on the NAM is completely different from the GFS and Euro, and is absolutely nothing like the RGEM. The RGEM develops the 7H low to our south over central VA, then goes bonkers as it pivots slowly underneath us. The NAM hangs on the 7H low out in the OH Valley for a long time before finally transferring to the coast, leading to a late capture and keeping the best frontongen to the north. The GFS/Euro is fairly similar, but one thing I've noticed is the orientation of the 700mb low is very SW to NE, which places the mid-level frontogen just off to the north, leading to NE MD to SE PA on northeast getting slammed. A slight adjustment in the capture and/or a more N-S oriented 700mb low like the aggressive models have could be all the difference in the world in the positioning of the CCB through part of the sub-forum. 

I will say one thing, the trends so far have been positive, outside the NAM 12km, so keep the faith. If I had to guess, right now the area north of I-70 has the best chance to see the most CCB action with Carroll Co on eastward the highest opportunity. Models still have a lot to figure out and I see this going to the 11th hour. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic