Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Just now, RDM said:

We're a little over 12 hours from the onset.  For the those in the know, for a storm like this with the forecast long duration and complexities involved, if you had one model at your disposal to analyze and hug, which one would it be?  

The one that gives you the most snow, duh! Nah, I'd never really want to hug just one model, but gun to my head, it's still the Euro.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

I read on another forum that the CMC and the RGEM are both too amped based on current OBS and should be taken with a grain of salt. This means the low tucks in too far west

We lost 5-6" from the 0z run lol. The banding on the back side was better for our area than 12z.

15 minutes ago, RDM said:

We're a little over 12 hours from the onset.  For the those in the know, for a storm like this with the forecast long duration and complexities involved, if you had one model at your disposal to analyze and hug, which one would it be?  

Is this a real question? ALWAYS the snowiest. ALWAYS. Intelligent, logical, or completely opposite, that how this game works

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RDM said:

We are about 12 hours away from first of the storm which is pretty much set in stone. The second is 36 hours away. The second part is where the real uncertainty comes into play. 

5 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Ukie has finally moved the max where the other models have it.  Extreme northern md through southern Pa.  main WAA is central va still and DC kinda misses both.  Still a good storm though.

Seems like 4-6 from the front end and 2-4 from the backend, I feel like everyone will take in DC. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Is this a real question? ALWAYS the snowiest. ALWAYS. Intelligent, logical, or completely opposite, that how this game works

Now if I'm forced to actually use my brain, set aside all bias, and be honest.... Euro of course for today. Mesos tomorrow for the waa but still euro for monday. Once monday rolls around, if models are still uncertain where the ccb is, just let it happen. Radar and satellite trump models imho in real time with ccb

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm thinking 2 inch qpf widespread and 3 inch qpf in reality locally with a low hanging and spinning wheels at OC for hours and hours?

Something like 1-1.3" SW of DC with 1.5-2" between DC-Balt. Then north of I-70 like 1.8-2.3" up to the border. It was like a perfect positioning with GFS QPF. A beat down would occur over the northern tier 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Part of the reason I've backed off on this hobby is models are just gigantic math calculators where errors compound with time. Focusing on specifics with qpf (like 20 mile shifts or distribution) is simply not the way. It has never worked like that nor will it when I croak (i aint no spring rooster).

It's much more accurate to compare the storm to every single similar one you can remember with how it broke for your yard. Drawing off personal experience COMBINED with giant atmospheric math calculator output with time based compounding errors gives a much clearer picture than tracking the exact placement of red horse schlongs. 

Now we see consensus (again) for a tucked crawl. I already know I'm walking a line with part 2 but if I'm going to get ccb'd, getting tucked up is where it's at. Speaking of tucked up, I'm just about 4 years since I quit drinking. If I can't get *ucked up then getting tucked up is the next best thing

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

I also wanted to add 2 more points. Climo is climo for a reason. Latitude, topography, proximity to the coast, and shape of the coastline defines climo. Storms behave in similar fashion for really good reasons. Central PA and N MD get big totals that wouldnt happen in my yard even if the storm went south because orographic influence is powerful. Just like deep creek getting hit with lake effect, C PA and N MD has an extra physical feature to wring out the sponge. I asked my wife if we could buy sugarloaf and move it to my back yard for this reason. She told me it sounds like a great idea if you're legally insane. Well... I am so...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just now, WesternFringe said:

You are going to grow hair on your palms.

Dear snow gods, please let the RGEM be right!  I think that solution pleases the most people in this sub.

We will all win with the RGEM and will relieve so much tension between many people.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone.  I contribute nothing but I love lurking, so I hope you will forgive me if I ask a question-   I am tucked in along the western part of the Bay between Annapolis and Baltimore.  I think I am in a pretty good spot, and we have a watch for 4-8. However, my weather app simply says freezing rain for sunday and monday? Can anyone help explain that?  I haven't seen long duration freezing rain called for by any of the models over the last several days. . . ?  Thanks!!! 

1 minute ago, AACOUNTYMD said:

Hello Everyone.  I contribute nothing but I love lurking, so I hope you will forgive me if I ask a question-   I am tucked in along the western part of the Bay between Annapolis and Baltimore.  I think I am in a pretty good spot, and we have a watch for 4-8. However, my weather app simply says freezing rain for sunday and monday? Can anyone help explain that?  I haven't seen long duration freezing rain called for by any of the models over the last several days. . . ?  Thanks!!! 

Don't use generic weather apps. Listen to NWS.

• Like 2

Just now, AACOUNTYMD said:

Therein lies the difficulty with apps and websites (and even newspapers to an extent) that are limited to a single icon to define the day's weather. It may well mix in between snow batches, but this has never looked like a long-term, infrastructure-crippling ice storm. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic