• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Very interesting the EPS has emphatically liked NoVA and the classic snowy N/W spots in MD for days but the Ops haven’t ever really put a bullseye there. Ops more into south central PA back toward NYC lately. Don’t know what that means, but it’s been a pattern.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Honestly never lol. Probably the model runs Monday 6z. I’ve storm chased enough storms to know there is never consensus until the storm is on top of us 

Very true.  Arguments were made for suppression and others for going North.  For my hood not liking the trends. But I realize it is a very complex situation. Mount Holly gives a range from 4 inches to 12 in the WS Watch overview. I always felt the best snows would go North,  simply due to storm evolution,  not just climo.   

Guys we got greedy, lets just be happy that all of the models agree we get 3-6 inches of snow. Enough to look nice and cover the grass. Also this is for Sunday one of the rare times when the ground is frozen so it will stick. This happens almost every time with a Miller B but there is time for it to shift back to us it is still two-three days out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Guys we got greedy, lets just be happy that all of the models agree we get 3-6 inches of snow. Enough to look nice and cover the grass. Also this is for Sunday one of the rare times when the ground is frozen so it will stick. This happens almost every time with a Miller B but there is time for it to shift back to us it is still two-three days out. 

Agree people see a few maps at 15 and 20 and then get disappointed with 4-8. In this winter, 4-8 is epic

Just now, blizzardmeiser said:

Agree people see a few maps at 15 and 20 and then get disappointed with 4-8. In this winter, 4-8 is epic

I know, my bar for this storm was 5 inches of snow and we got to look at all of the model runs. The Euro gives the whole area 8-12 inches of snow the NAM gives it 6 it still looks like a major snowstorm for us and in DC major is more than 4 inches of snow. Also we might have an ice storm so that's something. I also don't understand why this whole thread is in a bit of a panic we did the same thing yesterday and then it switched right back. It is two to three days out we are fine, it might even have us in the bullseye by Sunday. The models are going to be jumpy this far out, not to mention the snow is setting up in heavy bands which will keep jumping around until the day of. Even then even if the whole second part misses we still get 2-5 inches of snow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Very interesting the EPS has emphatically liked NoVA and the classic snowy N/W spots in MD for days but the Ops haven’t ever really put a bullseye there. Ops more into south central PA back toward NYC lately. Don’t know what that means, but it’s been a pattern.

I've seen enough storms here to know that unless there's a glaring reason to say otherwise, I'm putting my money somewhere along a line fron Sterling to Cockeysville.

• Like 4

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

I know, my bar for this storm was 5 inches of snow and we got to look at all of the model runs. The Euro gives the whole area 8-12 inches of snow the NAM gives it 6 it still looks like a major snowstorm for us and in DC major is more than 4 inches of snow. Also we might have an ice storm so that's something. I also don't understand why this whole thread is in a bit of a panic we did the same thing yesterday and then it switched right back. It is two to three days out we are fine, it might even have us in the bullseye by Sunday. The models are going to be jumpy this far out, not to mention the snow is setting up in heavy bands which will keep jumping around until the day of. Even then even if the whole second part misses we still get 2-5 inches of snow.

LOL, the storm is less than 24 hours out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

There are still models giving many in our forum 8"+. The Euro just gave literally everyone forum wide 6-20." "Settling" for 3-6" is really on the low end of all guidance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, T. August said:

First flakes for most of the region will begin by noon tomorrow. Early in the morning for those way down in VA.

I miss typed sorry. I meant to sat that the 1st part of the storm would be within 24 hours but the second part that everyone is a bit annoyed at would happen in 40-60 hours from now which means the models can mess with us even more.    

• Like 1

Just now, Negnao said:

Hrrr long range is a a solid 5-6 inches for dc metro before any mixing. One part of the storm we need to produce is the thump so that’s reassuring even though it’s the hrrr at range.

The other shorter term models tend to have a pretty good thump in the beginning on Sunday so that part of the storm looks good anywhere from 3-6 looks likely and that on it's own is great for our area and anything on top of that is a bonus. 

• Like 1

Interesting observation by Jack,  the trend further NW may continue today .  For us in the low lands and further South that would be bad news.  I can imagine that if the front thump does not deliver this may end up being yet another disappointing event.  We still have a ways to go.  

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic