Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 3rd - 5th Potential strong stm threat

Brian D

12 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

+SN BLSN, visibility under 1/4 here, can tell because it's tough to see across the park from my backyard and that's no more than 1/8 mile away to houses on other side.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That was some good stuff.. Wish it would have lasted longer

I finished with 5.8".  Cedar Rapids was bulls-eyed by the storm five days ago and it was again today.  Cedar Rapids is the new Des Moines.  This was essentially two storms.  The first two inches fell with little wind and were wet and heavy.  The next four inches were a blizzard.  The driveways and sidewalks collected all the dry stuff that blew around.  The shoveling job took three hours (mine and my neighbor's).  The piles are rivaling February 2008 when over 2 ft of snow fell and we equaled the season record.

My season total is up to 44.8".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I finished with 5.8".  Cedar Rapids was bulls-eyed by the storm five days ago and it was again today.  Cedar Rapids is the new Des Moines.  This was essentially two storms.  The first two inches fell with little wind and were wet and heavy.  The next four inches were a blizzard.  The driveways and sidewalks collected all the dry stuff that blew around.  The shoveling job took three hours (mine and my neighbor's).  The piles are rivaling February 2008 when over 2 ft of snow fell and we equaled the season record.

My season total is up to 44.8".

It’s crazy what a 4 hr drive NW can do. 37” difference. You guys have had the hot hand, and I say let it ride. Congrats on the awesome winter. 

Two other storm notes...

- The Cedar Rapids airport reported a 51 mph gust.  I don't remember hearing any local met mention 50 mph as a possibility.  DVN did not issue a blizzard warning, but I believe we did meet the criteria.

- Most models had the precip starting as rain here, but we got none.  It began as some sleety snow and quickly changed to snow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

It’s pouring snow in Kokomo.

I can attest.  Had to go to Marion and it was some heavy heavy stuff.  Texas flakes.  WAA finally moved in but that 2 hour burst protected our snow pack.  I still have 4 inches of concrete on the ground.  Was very concerned we'd lose it before this cold spell and have a barren tundra freeze out.  Me being a clipper fan, if we've got a nice layer of glacier on the ground and get into a clipper or quasi clipper pattern for 7-10 days that results in a decent winter for us.  We get a few weeks of not having to worry about precip types.  If they're hybrid clippers just means they're juicier and instead of 1-2 we might get 2-4.  3 of those in a week on top of a 4 or 5 inch glacier, with clippers being normally windy, usually leads to some really nice drifting.  I've seen a clipper drop 4 inches on top of a 2 or 3 inch glacier with 40 mph gusts and temps in the teens create 3 foot drifts in spots.  Horizontal avalanches is what I call them lol.  I love clippers in our climo :tomato:

• Like 1

Such an interesting storm, some of those vids and pics look pretty intense. I'm up in the northeast corner of WI for this one, no wind or insane rates like you guys farther south but we've gotten 8" since noon. Excited to see how it looks tomorrow morning, gonna be real pretty with all the evergreens coated in snow