• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

28 minutes ago, Ji said:

i dont buy that. Spain had a blizzard a few weeks ago. Lebanon/Middle East/UK. Japan had record snow. Lousiana got 9 inches

Anomalies still happen. But almost all the snow to our south...and at our latitude lately, comes from getting lucky with an upper level feature to crash temps.  When was the last time we saw a huge expanse or cold powder to the northeast of a low coming across the US?  If the coverage of snowfall overall in a larger scale decreases the odds of any one spot getting snow goes down.   

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Anomalies still happen. But almost all the snow to our south...and at our latitude lately, comes from getting lucky with an upper level feature to crash temps.  When was the last time we saw a huge expanse or cold powder to the northeast of a low coming across the US?  If the coverage of snowfall overall in a larger scale decreases the odds of any one spot getting snow goes down.   

Define "lately"...Just this year, or did you see something between 2016 and now? Again I'll mention the "bomb cyclone"...lol

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Rare events have weird distributions. That said, 6" of snow wasn't unusual 50+ years ago in  Louisiana. The record snowfall there is 14" and every few years there would be a decent 6+" event in the middle and upper parts of the state where the 9" were recorded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

UKMET has a storm now. Much closer to the GFS/Para/GEM camps. Still a fragile setup ofc, but marked improvement.

The GEM being weaker shouldn't be surprising considering how amped and NW it was compared to its own ensembles last night.

Hopefully we can meet in the middle of where the GFS and Euro were yesterday, which gives the whole area a respectable all-snow event.  

• Like 6

The Euro will always be king in my heart. 15 years of tracking weather and it has usually been more right than the other models. Fond memories of how it was the only one to predict the recurve of that hurricane several years ago and all the models caved to it at the end. 

It’s hard to accept a world where it caves to the GFS. 

So dear Euro-please show us a 20 inch area wide event at 12z

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hopefully we can meet in the middle of where the GFS and Euro were yesterday, which gives the whole area a respectable all-snow event.  

Even the coastal areas can get in on the action with a low that pulls away as it starts to occlude rather than tracking up the coast. Allows the BL above the near-surface layer to cool off and let diabatic cooling do its work. Sun angle not an issue right now either (unlike a March setup).

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

The Euro will always be king in my heart. 15 years of tracking weather and it has usually been more right than the other models. Fond memories of how it was the only one to predict the recurve of that hurricane several years ago and all the models caved to it at the end. 

It’s hard to accept a world where it caves to the GFS. 

So dear Euro-please show us a 20 inch area wide event at 12z

10 inch area wide...you meant 10...let’s not upset the old chap before show time.  Tally ho

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Here is a scary thought...Dec and Jan are going to finish VERY -AO/NAO. I guarantee you this will be by far the warmest such two month period and it’s likely not even close. 

DC proper struggles to get much below 30F at this point.  We haven't been in the teens in like 2 years.

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

I really don't understand how there isn't enough cold air. It's in the 20's today.

It’s easier to be cold on a north wind behind a wave then on the southerly flow ahead of a wave. 

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

How do we know this isn't unique to just this season, though? You mentioned yesterday about the PV pushing cold to the other side of the globe and the fall torch...how do we know that's not what's doing this? I mean...It still snowed in the 2018-19 winter, didn't it? How do we get snow in the south, and even the January system that year, if the overall base state is bad? And with last year's +++++++++++AO...can we even count that year? Lol Maybe I'm thinking about these things too simplistically, or maybe I'm just looking for optimism, but...I'm just wondering.

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

My only issue with that is how did things change THAT much over the past several years? 2013-2014 is the coldest, snowiest wall-to-wall winter I can remember in my lifetime. 2014-2015 finished cold and snowy. 2016 had a massive blizzard. March has been a colder, snowier month recently. It's obviously happening and having some kind of impact, but for the impact to be THAT massive in just several years?

Combining these two...I’m not saying we’re done with snow. Yes the last two years have had specific features that may have hurt our chances to a degree on top of simply AGW.  But I am willing to say it’s more then just those factors. It’s symbiotic. I’ve seen signs for a while now. The most obvious one is how frequently patterns have not produced what analogs suggest. Those h5 analogs take the pac pattern into account.  And time and again we’ve had patterns those analogs said should produce some snow and we get shut out. It’s not always that we didn’t get a 40” winter or a 20” hecs.  But sometimes it’s that we should have had couple 3-4” slop storms that were just rain. And a winter should have produced 10” and we got 2” or it should have produced 18” and we got 8”.  There have been way too many instances the past 10 years where a similar setup that produced some snow in the past was just rain.  The frequency of really bad (single digit and even less then 5”) winters is increasing exponentially. Then we start seeing model runs where a 980 low in the perfect spot is rain in prime climo. And often that doesn’t happen but it’s showing up more and more. That shouldn’t even be a possibility on January 28.  And that’s not just the Nina. Actually look at Nina climo, it’s not to torch Canada like this. This isn’t explained as simply as “Nina’s suck”.  As for the acceleration. I honestly don’t know how much of this is a temporary thing and how much is a permanent degradation. But sometimes you hit tipping points. The pac warms to a point that it changes the typical jet structure. You get a feedback loop from ice/snow loss. The super nino in 2016 may have set off a feedback loop that takes a while to recover from or if the base state is warm enough perhaps we never fully recover. Or we recover some but to what %?  I can’t say. Don’t even want to speculate. I can only say these two things...right now for quite a while the thermal base state of the northern hemisphere is very hostile to getting snow and we know AGW is happening. 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

There were some seriously funny and erroneous early calls in here with that gfs run. 

It didn’t trend south the upper low came across at the same exact track just weaker. Subsequently the surface secondary low developed further south and didn’t tuck as much when it phased with the upper low. People confused weaker for south. The warmer solution was simply from a weaker solution. Less dynamic cooking.