Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

34 minutes ago, Ji said:

im guessing the 0z euro has no support lol? Looks like pure Northern S/W for the next 16 days that will result in dry clippers or Millers. We could really use a split flow. Our that ridge being more west

As I posted a few days ago, this is the most likely pattern where we are headed....clippers. maybe a nickel/dime event. Could even see one of them explode off the coast under the block ala 96. When the flow out west off the coast finally splits and/or energy starts undercutting the massive ridge off the W Coast we should see SW flow events with overunning going up and over the developing SER into the dome of cold air established under the weakened NAO ridging which is what we want. Patience.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

As I posted a few days ago, this is the most likely pattern where we are headed....clippers. maybe a nickel/dime event. Could even see one of them explode off the coast under the block ala 96. When the flow out west off the coast finally splits and/or energy starts undercutting the massive ridge off the W Coast we should see SW flow events with overunning going up and over the developing SER into the dome of cold air established under the weakened NAO ridging which is what we want. Patience.

What are you basing this off of? OP GFS?

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Canadian 10 day temp mean looks meh......   I know Canada is cold by our standards, but if you are expecting those really cold temps to magically drop South that modeling shows, well we have a ways to go in my opinion, because  the 10 day mean does not support the look of " really Cold invasions of the past  into the Mid Atlantic".  Could be wrong of course,  but this look does not look great.  

tenday.gif

10 minutes ago, frd said:

Canadian 10 day temp mean looks meh......   I know Canada is cold by our standards, but if you are expecting those really cold temps to magically drop South that modeling shows, well we have a ways to go in my opinion, because  the 10 day mean does not support the look of " really Cold invasions of the past  into the Mid Atlantic".  Could be wrong of course,  but this look does not look great.  

tenday.gif

So, Justin Berks over hyping this too as usual. He's talking about the bay freezing lol. What a clown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, frd said:

tenday.gif

We don't need insane vodka cold nor do we want that. Also as many have been stating, pattern doesn't start filtering in until closer to mid month which is after 10 days.

Eta: Most of those mean + anomalies occur in the next 6-7 days it appears

It was stated by HM and others that after the warming event it usually takes 20-30 days to have an effect if it does. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the warming wasn't 20-30 days ago. Anyway good luck hopefully something positive happens for the rest of the winter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

It was stated by HM and others that after the warming event it usually takes 20-30 days to have an effect if it does. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the warming wasn't 20-30 days ago. Anyway good luck hopefully something positive happens for the rest of the winter. 

we dont need to get a warming event to get snow

• Like 4

Also remember this was supposed to be a shitty nina winter and the only reason some fools have raised expectations was because of the warning event. So without that unreasonable shift in expectations shitty winter still on schedule. Hopefully something positive happens the rest of the winter....positive things already happening elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Certainly exciting to see that we have multiple chances of snow next week.  However, the EPS mean for most of us continues to be stuck at ~2".  The 10th and 90th percentile EPS  "goal posts"  for College Park, Frederick, and Camp David are 0-5", 0-3", and 0-4" of snow/sleet. 

While the NAO looks to remain negative for the foreseeable future it is "relaxing" towards neutral beginning mid-month. The AO continues negative with only a hint at moving towards neutral. The PNA pattern is solid positive (favorable for snow) through mid-month and then plummets.  Hopefully, the time period when it begins to decline will excite snow- and acronym (HA) lovers. 

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

we dont need to get a warming event to get snow

That is true,  most events don't benefit us. However,  it can weaken and perturb the vortex, a plus,  but then the question becomes does it ruin or side track a pattern destined to be good ala 2018 possible, but sometimes they ( warmings )  do benefit the East. Already there is much hype on Accuu - Weather , CWG, private services. The official warming was Jan 5 th , so add 20 days = Jan 25 th to see the cold materialize as per HM.     

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Certainly exciting to see that we have multiple chances of snow next week.  However, the EPS mean for most of us continues to be stuck at ~2".  The 10th and 90th percentile EPS  "goal posts"  for College Park, Frederick, and Camp David are 0-5", 0-3", and 0-4" of snow/sleet. 

While the NAO looks to remain negative for the foreseeable future it is "relaxing" towards neutral beginning mid-month. The AO continues negative with only a hint at moving towards neutral. The PNA pattern is solid positive (favorable for snow) through mid-month and then plummets.  Hopefully, the time period when it begins to decline will excite snow- and acronym (HA) lovers. 

Accu Weather headline plus CWG may be incorrect to a degree, an official warming , yes, but a split not so sure.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/05/polar-vortex-split-cold-snow/

The polar vortex is splitting in two, which may lead to weeks of wild winter weather

A sudden stratospheric warming event has pushed the polar vortex off the North Pole, sending Arctic air on the move

See here

I am suggesting that we may never really get a split. Stratobserve was showing a very nice split , distinct and such, but now the vortex remains in one piece , seems to be a displacement event, but hey I am no expert. You can see here. 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20210105_f000_rot000.png

240 hours 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20210105_f240_rot000.png

300 hours 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20210105_f300_rot000.png

384 hours 

gfs_nh-vort3d_20210105_f384_rot000.png

5 minutes ago, frd said:

That is true,  most events don't benefit us. However,  it can weaken and perturb the vortex, a plus,  but then the question becomes does it ruin or side track a pattern destined to be good ala 2018 possible, but sometimes they ( warmings )  do benefit the East. Already there is much hype on Accuu - Weather , CWG, private services. The official warming was Jan 5 th , so add 20 days = Jan 25 th to see the cold materialize as per HM.     

The GFS is the only model that goes out into the period where any arctic outbreak would occur for east of the Mississippi, so this is only basing off deterministic. That said, the large scale cold push into the Lower 48 is initiated with weak ridge-bridging over western Canada that brings the first round of significantly colder temps with lower heights over the eastern CONUS. There's a slight reshuffle between hrs 300-324, then a more significant bridging occurs towards the end of the run, leading to a more significant blast of arctic air with origins over Siberia as Cross-Polar flow occurs. There's sub 500dm heights on the deterministic over western Ontario into Manitoba at that point, so that's the real surge  and matches well with HM's Jan 20-25th peak of when the cold floods the eastern US. 

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-1609912800-1610776800-1611295200-80.thumb.gif.2a225bfe96f7df48e7325363a118901f.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic