Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

1030mb banana high over the top, mega confluence to the northeast, a low that tracks well to our south.  And rain.  Not sure what to say.  

Anything in particular (mid-levels??) that trashes the BL thermals?  Or is the antecedent airmass just so marginal or worse to begin with?

ETA:  Just saw @psuhoffman's comment above, I guess that pretty well explains it!

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The trough splits the energy again and strings out...so the wave is deamplifying and shearing out as it approaches which won't work because the airmass still isnt good.  We need a bomb...a weak wave won't end well.  

Yep.  We go from this:

59AB3687-BE77-44CF-815A-72EFC9819FD7.thumb.png.4cf3a7b94b09dc42a1a4a2694bf97653.png

to this:

384BDED4-E9E0-4492-A3CC-B4E7C482214E.thumb.png.2d643238742e722f04a99987eedf45e8.png

which obviously doesnt work. 

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

And then it torches the boundary layer.  

Sigh, I don't know what we have to do to get snow here anymore

This next wave is still (frustratingly) coming before we really have any true cold to play with.  So a weak shearing out wave is not going to work.  We need the system to be amplifying on approach not washing out.  It's going well through like 120 and then a combination of things go wrong imo.  The flow is a little too suppressive.  I know that sounds crazy when its so warm but the flow can't totally fix the lack of cold around.  And the system splits and leaves a piece behind (probably in response to the shred factor its crashing into) and in response the wave starts to weaken and  shear out.  The weak POS wave left when it gets to us won't do us any good.  We need an amplifying upper low passing just to our south OR NS phasing to infuse colder air for this to really work (like the last 2 euro runs) a weak all southern wave wont cut it when the antecedent airmass is still crap.  

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The trough splits the energy again and strings out...so the wave is deamplifying and shearing out as it approaches which won't work because the airmass still isnt good.  We need a bomb...a weak wave won't end well.  

Yeah, I see it deamplify as it tries to climb toward that shred zone over New England.  But with the 850 and 925mb lows passing to our south, I don't quite get how quickly it just nukes the airmass.  

All in all, a really good 12z suite pending the EPS.  With so many shortwaves, I wouldn't expect anything approaching consistency until at least Friday or Saturday.  We're definitely in the game though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, I see it deamplify as it tries to climb toward that shred zone over New England.  But with the 850 and 925mb lows passing to our south, I don't quite get how quickly it just nukes the airmass.  

All in all, a really good 12z suite pending the EPS.  With so many shortwaves, I wouldn't expect anything approaching consistency until at least Friday or Saturday.  We're definitely in the game though. 

Agree...I am totally fine with where things are right now.  But I also share your (and others) frustration wrt the the result we just looked at...and it seems to be a theme we are seeing a little too often in recent years.  All those flaws I pointed out are real but imo they are a better excuse for why it wasnt a big storm...not a good excuse for why it was a 37 degree all rain event.  It didn't used to take a freaking absolutely PERFECT setup in every way just to get some snow around DC.  Lately it seems unless its absolutely perfect in every little way its not happening.  Its either HECS or nada lately.  There is one obvious elephant in the room that could be the cause of some of that.  

Just now, midatlanticweather said:

Not exactly looking great beyond Tuesday's system either. :( The whole continent looks above Normal!

The cold comes in behind the northern stream miller b type system around the 15th.  That is VERY likely to go to our north...then the cold hammer comes down behind it.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The cold comes in behind the northern stream miller b type system around the 15th.  That is VERY likely to go to our north...then the cold hammer comes down behind it.  

We can hope... It seems that way, and I want to believe, but man it seems hard to get things right when the time approaches. I am hoping for better trends for next week..

1 hour ago, IceCAPS said:

Mother of God!  Talk about too much of a good thing!  If I'm reading this right, I would think suppression would be the key word of the week here... cold as hell and bone dry.  Of course, we do need cold for snow but this seems to be overdoing it a tad.  I sure do hope I'm wrong or that this output is overdone, just a tad.  :-)

Clipper pattern then overrunning SWFE as the NAO retreats. 

Just getting this out of the way...there has been a VERY strong signal for a NS miller b system around the 15/16th across all guidance for days now...and its only getting stronger.  That storm is going to miss us.  Its going to screw us over.  And its going to likely dump tons of snow on the normal places to our north...and resign yourself to that now so we dont have 20 pages of woe as me posts when it happens.  That is NOT our storm...if by some miracle the blocking forces the NS to dig enough great and then we can enjoy it but just get over the idea now so it doesn't torture you for the next 10 days.  Our legit threats are the period before that and after it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, midatlanticweather said:

We can hope... It seems that way, and I want to believe, but man it seems hard to get things right when the time approaches. I am hoping for better trends for next week..

We need the cold.  It's barely been below freezing here it seems.  A cold day this winter has been like a high of 44 and a low of 33.   I'm not expecting much, if anything, until we get real cold on this side of the CONUS.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just getting this out of the way...there has been a VERY strong signal for a NS miller b system around the 15/16th across all guidance for days now...and its only getting stronger.  That storm is going to miss us.  Its going to screw us over.  And its going to likely dump tons of snow on the normal places to our north...and resign yourself to that now so we dont have 20 pages of woe as me posts when it happens.  That is NOT our storm...if by some miracle the blocking forces the NS to dig enough great and then we can enjoy it but just get over the idea now so it doesn't torture you for the next 10 days.  Our legit threats are the period before that and after it.  

Could be setting up an epic RIC-PHL snow hole if we don't get next Tuesday between the southern storms and that Miller B.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But there will be the one run...JUST ONE RUN...that will show a MECS and the usual suspects will be drawn in. Its like hypnotism once it shows digital snow. 

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Clipper pattern then overrunning SWFE as the NAO retreats. 

I personally would have preferred the N PAC trough back off some but not totally leave the scene.  But everyone wanted some huge EPO ridge to get arctic air into the pattern.  And it looks like they will get it.  There is a trade off though.  That is not as good a HECS look.  It opens the door to cold/dry.  It also could lead to enough SE ridge that anything that phases and bombs could cut west of us.  I want a BIG storm so I would have preferred the other look.  But if you just want some cold and snow this is probably a better look.  It just depends what your preference is.  

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Will the Miller B  set up the third storm , for our area ? Thoughts ? 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic