• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs and nowcast Sun 9A Jan 3 - 6A Mon Jan 4 2021

wdrag

Wantage NJ 4 św : 0.2" 935A-1015A. snów had diminished. 29.7 F. Treated roads wet.   Even tho very little on radar,  very light snow continues (snow made below the -12 to 18C saturated ideal dendritic zone).   Track this area of lift moving eve from w PA on satellite... thats a way to witness what should unfold late today. https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=13&length=24

17 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I’m right by Bronx border and westchester and it’s all frozen in the sky, coating on car tops but otherwise wet on the ground 

Are you toward the Yonkers/Riverdale side? I would be surpised to have all snow there vs Co op city/Pelham, LI sound side.

I did go over to all snow for a short time but now it light snow/sleet/drizzle. No acclumation.

2 minutes ago, dWave said:

Are you toward the Yonkers/Riverdale side? I would be surpised to have all snow there vs Co op/Pelham, LI sound side.

I did go over to all snow for a short time but now it light snow/sleet/drizzle. No acclu

Yea closer to Riverdale/Yonkers side. The sleet/snow was short lived here too. It’s a light mix now. 

Not the best of news... but generally speaking, this is the 12z SPC HREF outlook through 7AM Monday.  Just continues to look like a disappointment east and northeast of Hartford. This may be wrong but I have to account for the constancy of the signal.  FWIW... the 00z/3 HREF missed the stripe of 1" down near RDG/ABE. So, it's not over but I think most of the decent action next 18 hours is w CT, westward and maybe North through east through sse of ORH.

Meanwhile we may be impressed by snowfall rates in PA from near IPT to AVP and the Catskills later today. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 10.56.47 AM.png

At around 11 am, there was a burst of large snowflakes and sleet in and around Larchmont, NY. The precipitation quickly transitioned to all sleet and a mixture of sleet and rain. Before then, it produced some scattered coatings on colder surfaces. The large flakes of snow melted almost on contact with the pavement.

Larchmont01032021-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO the main problem with this system looking at radars is that it is just one disorganized mess right now yes there is precip in central PA but it is broken up and moving mainly northeast - as some have mentioned some of the models have not performed well with this system - how many times in the past have we been fooled by the models when a system is in progress ? Nowcasting time IMO just using radars - they will give us plenty of advanced notice of any trends developing........

About an hour's worth of mix in Central Park, started between 10 and 11 am as slight graupel with rain, gradually shifted to more snow flakes, all sucked into the wet ground, just a bit of white on some of the dead leaves and the grass. MInimal precipitation. as of noontime a tenth of an inch at the outside, nothing like the half inch of rain predicted.