Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What changes would you make to this forecast now?

Early morning knife twisting, even tho all Mets had caution flags every which way....and had to edit the original post to do so, because his first attempt wasn’t quitttteeee enough. Or maybe he needs at least two tries to get anything right...Stay classy

2021- the year the troll gets his.

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Probably the first and only call ill make on this one. If this look better (or worse) at 12Z i may update it. Pretty much a non-event the way i see it. Can't rule out a few isolated 2 or 3" amounts in interior southern connecticut. Right now, areas near the NY boarder look the most favorable on modeling. 

01_03.21_forecast.thumb.jpg.9e8b77a861d00a37879206c2dbb33d8f.jpg

Stay safe, everyone.  Days and days  of.....oh forget it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What a bizarre system. I couldn’t even tell you why guidance fizzles it so fast from N PA/NY state into SNE. 

We’ll still have to watch if that stuff holds together better than guidance says and some peeps pick up at least maybe low end advisory. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What a bizarre system. I couldn’t even tell you why guidance fizzles it so fast from N PA/NY state into SNE. 

We’ll still have to watch if that stuff holds together better than guidance says and some peeps pick up at least maybe low end advisory. 

I think it’s just bad timing.  That lead s/w pulls the entire system offshore and the ULL is attempting to re-organzine it along the south coast but does it too late. WCB snows look great then go poof as storm attempts to redevelop.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just saw it too. When the early 00z guidance came in I wasn’t feeling great. 

Some of those same mesos are looking a bit better now though....so still gotta think there may be a decent stripe of advisory snow? Vortmax track is pretty classic for it....it’s just we aren’t going to be able to sync up the conveyors so warning snowfall isn’t happening. 

I think we're too focused on idealized shapes and configurations ...  The z-coordinate is killing this entire aspect...

It's just not deep enough - the mid troposphere isn't cold enough. The heights are too shallow in that trough ... 542 DM until it coalesces E of the BM with a bunch of v-junk, and barely beneath 540 ...when the surrounding medium is only 552 is simply not enough gradient to get this thing to "spin" faster, drill sooner, anchor quicker, ... and bring the fuller spectrum of cyclogenic output - including ...heavier snow. As a result, we get a middling low ... probably mid way up the cyclone spectrum for our climo/ West Atl Basin which yeah...if it 'could have' detonated and organized sooner by way of better forcing, we probably get a higher impact 9:1 paste bomb.  I agree with you though that there's probably going to be a stripe of something going on along the wind tunnel as it passes thru - I think there's room for error assumption there, but we'll see.  So not a 100 loss - as you mention ... vorticity trajectory and associated wind maxima therein is/are ...moving along a decent climate position .. .at least through 24 hours... 

Scott had also mentioned that the wind max/trough morphology wasn't "curling" soon enough upon reaching our longitude - I suspect that observation is connected to the paltry feebleness of this over all thing, too.   If this thing was more mechanically powerful, it would roll out "tendency" - if not observable - lead S/W ridging...which would act in concert with the emerging NAO aspect to slow this whole thing down sooner, and anchor a stronger system...

It's too shallow..too weak to get this down.   You know... I find a subtle irony in this... We have been at a high premium for years YEARS really, to get a real -NAO look established... a time spent in a fast progressive rage much of the time... We finally get the NAO or NOA prone atmosphere and it goes too far the other way.   The Euro's D7-10 really ...I mean, it's not likely to verify of course.. but, it does nicely demo a nebular pattern that is franly almost impossible to discern the R-wave nodes ... We can't run a deterministic solution off that either.  Replaced one asshole pattern with another...and we can't seem to find the happy guy in the middle  - lol     Kidding but seriously tho -

I don't have any faith on the Jan 9-12th period at this point.  The 00z guidance continue to erode the NAO down to neutral in the operational runs, and the that flow is till looking rather nebular and non structurally deterministic ...  I'm not really sure where this is heading frankly - ...

I'm bummed to be brutally honest.. .because I thought about much of above all week but didn't have the balls to believe it would k'o this ordeal. I relied to much on the larger picture. I feel pretty confident that the model handling of this also struggled with it..interesting.

• Like 1