• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

We only have 5 days before this starts formulating ...and 6 before go time... and this is kind of coming in the shadow of Jan 1/2 concern - I think it is time to get this out.  Fast flow - sorry...gotta work with the time, friends.   The main deterministic headaches for the robustly coherent signal ... Jan 4th + are ( and I am encouraging other Mets well-informed enthusiast inputs in this increasingly adaptive mid/ext range) :

- Baroclinic recovery along Eastern Seaboard and immediately adjacent west Atlantic: If the January 1/2nd event sweeps the better baroclinicity more east, that it's another scenario where the mid range was overly assessing cyclonic/total wave amplitude ( it's an under the radar aspect I've noticed where the models seem to see 'events' out in time like the moon coming over the horizon at dusk like it's this looming celestial event!)

- Rapid succession of Pacific wave input in a transitioning pattern;  that does offer a bit of headaches for timing and placement .. We can be delivered faux stability across many cycles when surveying events in the late mid range+. But then.. something gets tasted into the grids, and boom:  the models spit it back out a busted ravioli due to negative/destructive S/W space interference in an otherwise favorable super structure, and we taste the waste.  ( hate that, knowing history is being avoided)  Something to watch for... this Jan 4 set up is very fragile folks.. There are really not more than 2 ...maybe 3 ( depending on which member one uses) isopyses describing the trough... It is interesting though that there is till a 100 kt 500 mb jet max(s) ..and that intrigues me.  

- Virtually every member of the GEFs carry a trough through 80-70W with itinerant surface placements ..albeit still within consideration for said areas, upper MA/ SNE/CNE ... Don't mean to leave NNE out but this does presently look more southern oriented - stand by

- Duration:  I am intrigued by the explosive onset of -NAO. As modeled it is biased over the western limb of the domain space, which is key to orchestrating what happens after Jan 4.. I am not sure this thing really exists as fast as the GEFs camp tendency to progression as a separate model bias rule to the 'real' progression that is being lost in this transition - the former holds on a bit too long and carries things away too far East as a plausible emerging error.  This almost smacks as Feb 1967 weirdness but not as a redux... just as general layout, we have an antecedent fast flow that is relaxing abruptly ( I suspect so...), and that immediately "strands" whatever is ongoing ... Think of an asshole careening thru and intersection and leaving a snarl and going on blithely unaware... The blocking/trainwreck near D. Straight pins and starts pinwheeling beneath..and there may still be residual Pac S/W schrapnel into the backside ... at relative scales, any one of which may be substantive to induce/ignite anew along the Del Marv to Benchmark cyclone conveyor. 

I suspect by weight what has really evolved to be a striking -AO enhanced Hemisphere.  It is unclear/intensely suppositional whether the NAO subordinate polar field index is actually being forced to do the AO's bidding ... What I suspect is happening - personally - is that the relationship between those two is in fact "indirect"  ... I think the AO is/has become so demonstrative it is effecting the large scale R-wave/planetary mode ...and that is one that is relaxing the velocity surplus that we've plagued with ...really going back multiple seasons actually.. Bit of uncharted waters here for that alone -we haven't been dealt this sort of arena ..or 'blessed' perhaps depending how this plays its cards...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Why are those dumb maps still even produced?

No idea, but they update quickly, lol.

They literally are the EXACT same graphics as when I started looking at them in 2000 or 2001. They might have been already like that for a few years prior.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Not we (Us)

How do we know this isn't going to try to run into BUF yet?

Right now, it's safe, but it wouldn't take much downstream to let this ride pretty far west. That's a pretty sick shortwave in the midwest already neg tilted

image.png.31ede8df460148c6c18031cba00abd24.png

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Right now, it's safe, but it wouldn't take much downstream to let this ride pretty far west. That's a pretty sick shortwave in the midwest already neg tilted

We don't know actually, But i would roll the dice.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That clipper up in Manitoba will be another critical piece.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Only 4-4.5 days from go time on various guidance Tip. So definitely not too early. Let’s see how it trends, looks a lot better for your area than mine but I’m interested. 

I think we do fine from Philly all the way up ... I mean, sans shore communities/or weird offsets.. urban heat island this.. or unlucky that..  But if we are talking just in general thermal field/synoptic dynamics, this probably is an isothermal blue snow at 33.5F  2-meter T's ...and then 30.5 in interior SNE at maturation -

Granted, these are initial calls ... so, subject to change - but if I was gambler, that's what it looks like here initially.  Euro will be interesting here -

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It relates to that last bullet point(s) ... I was elaborating on the rather jolt halting in the total synoptic wave translation speeds, and that tandem hemispheric "flashing" in of the -NAO over the western limb of its domain space - partially instructing backlog, partially related to slowing overall.

That is all happening like over the next 3 panels after this image above  lol... so, yeah, you're caution is certainly warranted, and much of this is predicated on the slowing hemisphere actually succeeding ... It's not going West given that success... If not,  up in the air as the pun goes.

The other aspect tho is that the models ...pretty much none indicate a west motion with that deep layer wave space - regardless of the downstream train crash.  Sometimes it might okay to nod to weighted consensus, too - it's hard since errors have been noted.