• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

As far as folks interpretation of the models ...

I mentioned this last week;  we are in sort of 'uncharted territory' for modeling performance in a bona fide -NAO ...particularly if/when the blocking influence is situated over the western limb, where it is more exerting in terms of wave spacing ..etc.

I think that gives a little bit of a pass here - give it a week to marinade and cool off anger ... and perhaps when in the throws of a new potential, folks may be willing to look at this that way.

The last 10 years of modeling, a time in which there have been - I think - three product migrations in both the ECMWF and GEFs orgs... and even in the GGEM ... Hell, they've created a Franken-model called the "NAVGEM" in that span - a tool that baffles the mind as to what in the hell they were after...  Is there a plan for that?  

We can assume the engineering arm of NCEP is not neolithically incompetent.  They must perform 'pattern specific' regression analysis/testing with 500,000,000 operation instruments... But ya never know.  Still ...I don't find it a mere coincidence that this 'nebular' sort of break-down of the erstwhile stretched R-wave rage/velocity regime, along with a spring-like bookended NAO, happen and suddenly the models suck perhaps worse than the great white hurricane busts of the 1980s.  Not an accident.. 

Separate observation and study?  It occurs to me, this NAO may have originated as a 'slosh back' from a velocity suspension at hemispheric scope.  Same or similar, it reminds me of those rage streamed winters that took place in 2018 /// 2017 /// 2019 and so forth, when those seasonal jet relented as ending, the NAO did the same thing then.. Only this one is happening now ... I wonder if this fast flows that specifically enter breakdown, can be statistically lag correlated to all -NAO emergence ?  Fascinating study..

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This is the culprit that’s screwing with this being a good event.

1DA2FDCB-0BA4-4643-9BF7-449B7E5C5A04.thumb.jpeg.0b5e46880f247831abb2ddd628716a74.jpeg

Agreed. It was not showing up nearly as defined on those euro runs and some other guidance but the NAM was insisting on it. It’s tough though to trust that it’s real all the time because we’ve seen that garbage overplayed so many time on guidance. 

Even the Dec 16-17 storm had too much spurious convection out east that was causing some of those runs to pull the storm straight east off the Delmarva which ended up a lot different than reality. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

What a bizarre system. I couldn’t even tell you why guidance fizzles it so fast from N PA/NY state into SNE. 

We’ll still have to watch if that stuff holds together better than guidance says and some peeps pick up at least maybe low end advisory. 

I think anything could happen.

We learned we not trust the models when they suggested a lot of snow with this system.

We also cannot trust the models NOW, that they are suggesting none. 

Unlike most events This is one where I believe it is possible to get a region wide surprise 3-6 inches that models don’t sniff out until inside of 6-12 hours 

3 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I think anything could happen.

We learned we not trust the models when they suggested a lot of snow with this system.

We also cannot trust the models NOW, that they are suggesting none. 

Unlike most events This is one where I believe it is possible to get a region wide surprise 3-6 inches that models don’t sniff out until inside of 6-12 hours 

I dunno. I don’t see anything exciting. Maybe some areas get an inch or two. 

• Like 1