Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

It's not a torch. :lol:

IDK - we're 9.2° AN so far and our warmest January (2006) was 7.9° AN.  This despite never getting up to 40.  CAR is running +13, looks torchy to me.   Today will make 29 AN days in the past 30, and only the few clear calm nighttime hours this month on the 12th allowed radiation sufficient to make that day -1.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am on board. This is a very strong signal for an intense period of snow which could easily lay down a couple quick inches. The guy in Methuen isn't interested don't let that color your judgement.

hrrr_2021011918_020_41.48--71.9.png

Good luck. I hope you get enough for the Toboggan. 

Total Totals in the low 60s tomorrow....that is really impressive. I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see someone get lucky down south with a couple inches. Max DGZ is around 800mb too, so that is going to help too.

There's actually a lot of WINDEX parameters satisfied in this...big time TTs, huge LI spike, LL moisture, good PVA, etc.

• Like 3

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

I've had one notable norlun/inverted trough pan out here in the last 10 years (2013). Really tough to be in the right location, but I guess some areas are slightly more favored. 

Mid coast down to York are the areas here that see them, Very rare for my locale.

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I've had one notable norlun/inverted trough pan out here in the last 10 years (2013). Really tough to be in the right location, but I guess some areas are slightly more favored. 

I remember that one...late March 2013. I think it may have been 3/21-22.

Tomorrow isn't really a norlun per say...it's not stationary long enough, but it's more of a WINDEX look for a good chunk of the region south of the pike. It looks best closer to the south coast but can't rule out some decent squalls as far north as pike region. Your area may get something if lucky.

• Like 3

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will, that is an intense shortwave moving through the northern stream over WI and MN right now.  Models have been trending towards a stronger vort max and a faster in timing negative tilting shortwave trough.  If it tilts before reaching NYC, we are in trouble and could see a hefty band of snow!

How intense is it?

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Total Totals in the low 60s tomorrow....that is really impressive. I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see someone get lucky down south with a couple inches. Max DGZ is around 800mb too, so that is going to help too.

There's actually a lot of WINDEX parameters satisfied in this...big time TTs, huge LI spike, LL moisture, good PVA, etc.

Let's hope HRRR isn't out to lunch 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

ha ha... over that? 

man, just wonder - could aspects ever become so dire, that an obs thread gets fired up over the prospect of a cumulus cloud.

Hey Tip, I am sorry, your hood is not in line for anything weather wise the next seven days, but that does not mean the southerners in the region won't get impacted.  The coastal storm is close enough that I am going to monitor the latest and Worcester is getting snow showers right now.

• Weenie 1

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ( or perhaps more apropos, 'don't wanna know' ), the climate reports, from observation to science/prediction and back ... all have been saying that the ballast of the global warming signal has been captured in fact by the nocturnal numbers. 

Last summer... now... I mean, this is all consistent with that, whether it is coincidental or not.  

It's probably some of both. I mean, GW happens in decimals... It took a century to go up 2 C or whatever it is...  point being, we got to be +10 on the lows if we're +4 on highs or whatever in order to sustain a +7 at ORH    ...that's not GW ... obviously .. ( man I'm bored today LOL ) .. else we be in trouble

As has been said before, it's all about equilibrium.  I'd be curious what the other side of the globe (Russia, Siberia, northern China) is showing for BN thermals during our torch.  Less than two weeks ago, Beijing had its lowest temperature in over 50 years.